Fuel Pump Relay $$ Outrage

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
W123 280TE fuel pump relay 001 545 68 05 $204.82 plus tax.... Are they serious?? :mad::confused::eek:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Check with Super cheap they are selling Bosch Mercedes parts now. Even 6.9 injectors

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Yesterday I priced a genuine 280 relay. Are you sitting down??? Hows $825 sound ex Germany? Apparently they have 380 in stock so don't worry they won't become NLA any time soon! But at that price I seriously doubt ANYONE will buy one

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, at one stage a few years ago, MB in Deutschland were selling new 6.3 injection pumps for $78K. dollars. Story had it that they had a room (don't know how big) stacked to the ceiling with new pumps. I recently sold a hydraulic water pump coupling fan to one of our esteemed TK members - the part is one that fits the M189 3 litre engine. The new price from MB ? How does eighteen thousand dollars sound ? Impressive ? You bet.

N.B. The stories (sad ?) could go on forever. Mind you, an acquaintance I know just recently bought (or was quoted) an electric window switch for a fairly latish model Alfa Romeo - the cost ? Two grand. Whew ! Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Mark, at one stage a few years ago, MB in Deutschland were selling new 6.3 injection pumps for $78K. dollars. Story had it that they had a room (don't know how big) stacked to the ceiling with new pumps. I recently sold a hydraulic water pump coupling fan to one of our esteemed TK members - the part is one that fits the M189 3 litre engine. The new price from MB ? How does eighteen thousand dollars sound ? Impressive ? You bet.

N.B. The stories (sad ?) could go on forever. Mind you, an acquaintance I know just recently bought (or was quoted) an electric window switch for a fairly latish model Alfa Romeo - the cost ? Two grand. Whew ! Regards Styria

OK - can I make you weep? I bought the new radiator for Mr Fast and Furious for....wait, are you sitting down?......$450 - genuine!
Regards,
Brian

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Their must be some bean-counter deep deep within MB herself that constantly looks at sales volumes. Low sales volume = higher prices to compensate. Word has it that you can negotiate (!) with your Aussie MB parts supplier to match a documented US price (including freight). I've yet to try that one YET....

Styria

The Godfather
........yeah, but it's a Peugeot ! :D Seriously though, Mr. Professor, I would love to own certain Peugeot models. My friend Hans in Andritz, Graz, Austria owns a beautiful large Peugeot Saloon. Beautifully finished, quite powerful, in other words, a hell of an impressive car. "Hansi", I said to him, "is it a turbocharged 4 cylinder Diesel, or is it the V6". "Don't know" he said, "I've never looked under the bonnet". Anyway, with the clatter prevalent on idle, it had to be a Diesel. With the get-up and go it possessed, it had to be a turbo.

There were two items that attracted my unfavourable attention - the quality of ride on anything but perfect surfaces was less than impressive, and the interior "rustle" was constant and reminded me of flying in a passenger plane. Anyway, that's it from me for now on this subject. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
........yeah, but it's a Peugeot ! :D Seriously though, Mr. Professor, I would love to own certain Peugeot models. My friend Hans in Andritz, Graz, Austria owns a beautiful large Peugeot Saloon. Beautifully finished, quite powerful, in other words, a hell of an impressive car. "Hansi", I said to him, "is it a turbocharged 4 cylinder Diesel, or is it the V6". "Don't know" he said, "I've never looked under the bonnet". Anyway, with the clatter prevalent on idle, it had to be a Diesel. With the get-up and go it possessed, it had to be a turbo.

There were two items that attracted my unfavourable attention - the quality of ride on anything but perfect surfaces was less than impressive, and the interior "rustle" was constant and reminded me of flying in a passenger plane. Anyway, that's it from me for now on this subject. Regards Styria

Ah yes; but an injection pump at $K78 won't necessarily give you a smooth ride! It will give you heartburn when you pay for it though....;)
Regards,
Brian