Liqui Moly Fuel Injector Cleaner

More threads by Oversize

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Premium brand premium fuels already have fuel cleaning agents in them.
Shell Caltex & BP 98 are all OK. Cleaning agents have been added to premium fuels for about 10 years so far.

Years ago, I had a car which had injectors that I suspected may have been partially clogged.
I decided, over a period of months, to dose with fuel injector cleaner.
Made no difference.

A different fuel additive:
Valve saver for classic car engines with non hardened valve seats and valve guides probably best to use, but there is a risk that accretions may form on the valve seats. A compression test may show this problem.
Valve saver only needed for engines that originally required leaded fuels. Leaded fuels were dosed with Lead Naphthalate.

Spitfire engine fuel octane rating as high as 140, which allowed high boost at high altitude. That is why they out performed German aircraft at high altitude. 140 octane partially due dosing with lead napthalate.

sean sherry

Master
My understanding is that if a Fuel injector is impaired with dirt of any kind then additives do not work. Valve Seat retention was the result of testing done in the UK with under two Litre Engines running on the Motorways at 5 to 6000 RPM.
Old low revving engines will not come to any harm. A question asked at a Rolls Royce trade night some years ago to a Technician from Caltex Research.

How long will the Valves and Seats last in my 1925 Rolls running between 2000 and 3000 RPM Max....... about 1000 years !:eek:

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Anyone have any feedback or experience with this stuff?? From what I've heard it's very good and may even postpone (or avoid) injector replacement....

https://www.germanoils.com.au/products/fuel-system-cleaner-conditioner/

I've heard people swear by it but have never used it myself.
I was going to use it on my 250SE. Those MFI injectors are expensive and i'm pretty sure they will need doing anyway. At least they are not as bad as M189 or M100 MFI injectors!!!

Styria

The Godfather
How expensive ? I believe that the units, IF they are still available, are about a Grand each. That's EIGHT for the set.Maybe prices/availability have changed in the last few years. One reason of many why I could not afford to own a 6.3. The later versions, and I am talking 6.9s are much more user friendly. Regards. Styria

c107

and 111/116/124/126
How expensive ? I believe that the units, IF they are still available, are about a Grand each. That's EIGHT for the set.Maybe prices/availability have changed in the last few years. One reason of many why I could not afford to own a 6.3. The later versions, and I am talking 6.9s are much more user friendly. Regards. Styria

Injectors for the later small six (M129, M130 etc) are AUD$110 per injector, so $660 for a set, plus delivery.

Styria

The Godfather
Sorry Bryce, I am not totally familiar with the M129/130 engine families. Thus, what vintage and what models. The prices you quoted are certainly reasonable - nothing like the ones for the 6.3 (M100) engine. Regards Styria

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Sorry Bryce, I am not totally familiar with the M129/130 engine families. Thus, what vintage and what models. The prices you quoted are certainly reasonable - nothing like the ones for the 6.3 (M100) engine. Regards Styria

M129 is the 2.5 litre found in the 250SE of 1965-1967
M130 is the 2.8 litre found in the 280SE of 1968-1972

They are the 7 bearing engines with 6 piston injection pump. Not sure what the 220 (m127) uses with the 2 plunger pump.
unlike the older engines, they also used the m130 designation for the carby derivative used up through the mid 70s.

Last edited:
OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master

It’s actually a shame they never made a D Jet M100 cause the Kjet injector holes in the 6.9 heads are smaller than a regular EFI injector meaning the heads need to be bored out, or the bigger injectors need to be fitted to the manifold which is a lot further away from the inlet valves...

c107

and 111/116/124/126
I tried this in my cars. I was especially interested in the 250SE and 450SLC as they both exhibit signs that they may be needing new injectors.

The SLC in particular runs very poorly when started up - like it is running on 6 or 7. Eventually it smooths out somewhat. I've never changed the injectors since I purchased the car in 2003, so I am going to swap them out.

250SE has a rough idle and can be a hard starter. Again I suspect that injectors are part of this.

i am thinking that one or more is not atomizing properly. I don't want to wash down the cylinder walls with raw fuel so I will replace both.

I tried this cleaner in both cars and it made no difference.

The SLC wasn't started for about 6 weeks due to COVID19 and it is running even more poorly. I'll check the plugs too.

OP
Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
Obviously a snake-oil type product! I won’t bother giving it a go & will just replace the effected parts when necessary.

Nab

Distinguished
I've used this stuff on my last 2 4WDs with 150,000km+ on the odometers and it made a noticeable difference to noise and smoothness. But that is most likely a result of the existing injectors being a bit dirty. Haven't tried it on a petrol motor yet.

sean sherry

Master
I read again that a dose of Automatic Transmission Oil now and then is very beneficial...... Lubricates the complete Fuel system attends to sticky Rings ....
I recall that Redex ,used at every Tune up in my apprentice Days in the early Fifties , probably did the same job. With poor quality low Octane (72) " Pool " Petrol at the time it was very popular.:)