Fuel For Post July 1976 116 models

More threads by PeterR

P

PeterR

I use Shell v Power 98 oct But it has not been available for ages Today I put half a tank of Shell V Racing 100oct with 5%ethonol Is it Ok to use this ? The car seems to love it I checked with one of the service advisors at Mecedes of Sydney and he said it would be OK But I would prefer to get the facts from some of the real beaut blokes in n our Forum

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
It should be NO problems.

5% and 10% ethanol will do no harm to the engine according to all expert I have spoken to.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I beg to differ - unfortunately. And buggered if I really know, anyway.:eek:
I have been led to believe by the M-B boffins that one should not use any ethanol in a W116. Having said that, I have been known to do so for the reason of shortage of V-Power without any fuel lines disolving on me.
I am also advised by a Jaguar engineer friend that the 'don't use ethanol' argument does not apply if your fuel lines are in good nick and all rubbers have been recenlty replaced. He also advises that if the fuel pump is old the ethanol will strip out the sludge (ethanol is a stronger solvent than is usually found in pertrol) and block the injectors. Thus, his workshop routinely replaces all fule hoses and pumps so that people with older Cats can use ethanol.
In a few years all petrol in NSW will have a minimum of 2% ethanol.
Who knows?
By the way, did it go better on the V Power Racing? My ML certainly does.
Regards,
BenzBoy

OP
P

PeterR

Thanks Mike and Benzboy for your prompt reply's Ges it does go better runs very smooth and you do notice a difference in the "pick up" Mind you the 98 oct is V power great (if and when it becomes availavle again) but this stuff is
certainly a cut above

SELfor50

I beg to differ - unfortunately. And buggered if I really know, anyway.:eek:
I have been led to believe by the M-B boffins that one should not use any ethanol in a W116. Having said that, I have been known to do so for the reason of shortage of V-Power without any fuel lines disolving on me.
I am also advised by a Jaguar engineer friend that the 'don't use ethanol' argument does not apply if your fuel lines are in good nick and all rubbers have been recenlty replaced. He also advises that if the fuel pump is old the ethanol will strip out the sludge (ethanol is a stronger solvent than is usually found in pertrol) and block the injectors. Thus, his workshop routinely replaces all fule hoses and pumps so that people with older Cats can use ethanol.
In a few years all petrol in NSW will have a minimum of 2% ethanol.
Who knows?
By the way, did it go better on the V Power Racing? My ML certainly does.
Regards,
BenzBoy

I was gonna post / recommend not to use it due to the state of my fuel filter last change (2-3months ago) but after reading what you've posted about it cleaning out the fuel pump now I know why it was like that.
The fuel filter I took out (and i'd been using the V-Racing for several months) had a nasty black colour fuel etc that came out. The plugs were also fouled up a bit. Since your advice about it desolving the plastic fuel lines i got paranoid and hadn't used it.

In light of this coming, 'most likely', from the fuel pump i may do a replacement on my pump & accumulator / filter too and then run v-racing for a service period. See if I get the same 'black' fuel result..

V-Racing definately goes harder. V-racing with heavy duty octane booster and nicely advanced timing goes reall f*kn hard! :D :D

BenzBoy

Grand Master
If my advice is correct, draining and flushing should do the trick Cam - or so I think. Followed by renewing all rubber hoses with the modern rubber compounds. I could always be wrong though - there seems to be a bit of a blanket on the real information.
In my mind ethanol is an evil product foisted on us by politicians who want to appear to be conserving natural resources while using coal fired generators for electricity. Bring on nuclear power - I wanna glow in the dark, baby.:eek:
Regards,
BenzBoy

WGB

I personally would not use ethanol of any percentage in a 116 due to insinuations of problems with rubber hoses and injector seals but I have no science to back it up.

I use BP 98 octane in both my Euro engine 450's.

Both engines do not like prolonged idling and will foul up plugs if not given a "cleansing" burst every week or so.

Bill

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I personally would not use ethanol of any percentage in a 116 due to insinuations of problems with rubber hoses and injector seals but I have no science to back it up.

I use BP 98 octane in both my Euro engine 450's.

Both engines do not like prolonged idling and will foul up plugs if not given a "cleansing" burst every week or so.

Bill

Some time recently I was chatting to one of the senior mechanics at MBS and he had done his apprenticeship in Stuttgart when the 350/450 engine came into production. He commented that even then prolonged idling would foul plugs simply because the injection system runs rich. Even moving a car around the factory prior to delivery was sufficient to foul plugs. The factory answer was to blast the car down the autobahn - an Italian tune-up always does wonders for dirty plugs. He was also quite scathing in his remarks about the solvent nature of ethanol and its effect on older materials such a petrol tank linings. So, I am in agreement Bill but like you, don't have the science to support my argument.
Regards,
BenzBoy

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Peter, where did you manage to buy the 100 octane fuel - the best rating I have ever seen is the premium 98. BTW, can you please let me know if you will be able to attend the Sow and Shine this Sunday ? Really would like to see you make it.

As far as Ethanol is concerned, I know absolutely nothing except what's been written over the last few years. Now, if one considers the possible damage to rubber components that may occur, you have to ask yourself just how many rubber components do 116's have in their fuel system/delivery set-up ? Very few, I suspect. Most od the fuel lines are steel, with only small sections of rubber tubing under the tank. What other components are there likely to be affected by methanol. To the best of my knowledge, there are no rubber components in the fuel distributor nor any of the K-Jet Injectors. Therefore, I see little reason to be concerned with a small percentage of ethanol. Regards, Styria

OP
P

PeterR

Hi There Mike,
Yes I will be there on Sunday Wouldn't miss it for quids. Also I checked with Mercedes Benz Australia Spoke to a lady by the name of Carol in customer service who checked with one of the engineers and she confirmed that as long as the 450 se was manufactured after 1st July 1976 and was Australian delivered you can use unleaded 98 oct without any additive (well we already knew that!!!) and you can also run the 100 oct Shell Racing without any problem whatsoever the fact that it has 5% ethonal she said is not a problem I have emailed the technicial dept askng the specific question as soon as I receive the answer in writing I will print it out and make some copies to give to whoever wants them on Sunday Also The Racing fuel is very limited in terms of distribution The best way to check availability is to go to www.shell.com.au and click on fuel finder, put in your post code and tick the v racing box and it will tell you actually the nearest to glenorie is COLES EXPRESS THORNLEIGH
188-190 Pennant Hills Rd
Thornleigh , 2120 NSW

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Well my Spirit adores V-Power Racing.
Yes it is smoother and yes it has more get up and go.
The price? Oh well, consume lots and die young is my motto for the day...
My new family crest will bear the words Perussi multus quod intereo tener.
I'm sure OBH can tell me if my transaltion os OK?
Regards,
BenzBoy

OzBenzHead

Master
[...] consume lots and die young is my motto for the day...
My new family crest will bear the words Perussi multus quod intereo tener.
I'm sure OBH can tell me if my transaltion os OK?

Spot on! I particularly like the aptness of your verb peruro, which is as much "to burn up" as it is "to consume". :)

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Two replies in one; saving postage, you know.:eek:
1. PeterR, who is this B.C. character to whom you refer? You are confusing me with another person in another life, Sir. :D:D:D The true identity of BenzBoy may be revealed as early as this Thursday afternoon if all goes according to plan. If Plan A fails, the identity of BenzBoy may have to revert to B.C. - or, B.C. III. :eek:
2. Thank you OBH. I did have to drag out the Latin Primer (but not the Vulgate) to get the appropriate word. I am thinking of having it formed into a crest surrounding Miss Olga's profile and using it replace the logo on the PROJECT when it is finalised. :D
Regards,
BenzBoy

OP
P

PeterR

Opps I Hit the C key instead of the G key my sincere apologies He B G will Miss Olga be in attendence on Sunday???

John S

Reading road tests from the early 1950's alcohol was a normal additive to petrol in Europe, both the Autocar and Motor road test teams liked to head into Belgium where they could use quality fuel instead of "pool petrol" which was low octane. The petrol that worked really well was well over 10% alcohol!

Since that time fuel companies have either used alcohol on occasion in advertising campaigns or in special blends. Back then I did not notice any discussions about alcohol hurting the engine or fuel lines.