Fuel Tank Saga

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
It's probably a couple of months, since I started my attempts to clean out the tank of one of my Rover 3 litre Coupes after a break of probably fifteen years. Needless to say, and I have already posted about this issue some six to eight weeks ago, so I'll refrain from repeating myself unduly. There have been three attempts by Redi Strip at Blacktown to clean the tank chemically, but I have never been able to eliminate fineish black dust particles despite many attempts using Kerosene, water, and finally Diesel.

My just recent attempt involved to use of two large plastic boxes, a very large funnel, a very large (again) stainless steel container, thirty two litres of Diesel, high pressure air hose and a very large strainer that I continually placed on top of the funnel, and under the drain tap when draining into the large stainless steel container. At long last, after three or four fills and drains, and use of high pressure air, I have finally been able to just about eliminate all traces of sediment. I am endeavouring to upload two pictures from my phone to illustrate the set-up I have used. Regards Styria

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Wait a minute Styria - didn't you get a new knee last Friday? A progress report on that would be far more important than a petrol tank - surely?
I do hope the new knee works to your satisfaction?
Regards,
Brian

Last edited:

abl567

Super Moderator
Wait a minute Styria - didn't you gate a new knee last Friday? A progress report on that would be far more important than a petrol tank - surely?
I do hope the new knee works to your satisfaction?
Regards,
Brian

Agreed, tell us about the knee! How are you and do you need anything?

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Thank you for your help, Bryce. The eight bottles you see lined up are full of Diesel that's been flushed through and filtered several times. You may also notice the long Air Blower Gun that is switched on as I am replenishing the tank with each bottle of Diesel, as well as when I drain usually four liters at a time into the large stainless container sitting on top of the two plastic boxes.

It's all been very, very time consuming but I am just about at the stage where I am confident that I will not strike any fuel problems when the cars are operational. This particular tank had also been chemically cleaned on three occasions. Regards Styria

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Thank you for your help, Bryce. The eight bottles you see lined up are full of Diesel that's been flushed through and filtered several times. You may also notice the long Air Blower Gun that is switched on as I am replenishing the tank with each bottle of Diesel, as well as when I drain usually four liters at a time into the large stainless container sitting on top of the two plastic boxes.

It's all been very, very time consuming but I am just about at the stage where I am confident that I will not strike any fuel problems when the cars are operational. This particular tank had also been chemically cleaned on three occasions. Regards Styria

At least you didn't repeat the process used by a member of one of the mercedes forums some years ago. He was trying to clean out a W108 tank and I think had used water. In order to dry the tank he had the idea of pushing a hairdryer into the filler hole. Needless to say after the explosion, the tank ended up about 50% larger than it started and he was lucky to escape without injury.