Slotted Discs - Front and Rear for 116

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
If anyone is interested, I am able to supply ventilated and slotted front and rear disc brake rotors.

At a special introductory rate, the first three sets are available at $240.00 a pair, front and rear. In addition, new disc brake pads, again at a special price of $45.00 a set for the fronts, can be supplied if ordered with the rotors.

The pads, in particular, should be of interest as they are "clean" pads - in other words, no black brake dust. Whilst perfectly acceptable for everyday motoring, the pads are NOT suitable for competition use. Please contact by way of PM, or e-mail, or Mobile 0428-50-1800. Postage EXTRA on all items. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Interesting to read about 'clean pads'.
What do they wear out as?
They must emit something as they grind against the disc...

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Michel, they are virtually dust free. I have been using them on Gleaming Beauty for some time now and braking is certainly just about on a par with genuine after market pads without, of course, all that horrible black dust that is an eternal curse. Regards Styria

BTW - I would have thought that you would have shown some interest in the super duper "slots" for that red beast of yours ! :D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi Michel, they are virtually dust free. I have been using them on Gleaming Beauty for some time now and braking is certainly just about on a par with genuine after market pads without, of course, all that horrible black dust that is an eternal curse. Regards Styria

BTW - I would have thought that you would have shown some interest in the super duper "slots" for that red beast of yours ! :D

I thought my brakes on the 690SELwere good....

JoeB did not complain at Eastern Creek after some serious braking was required several times...;)

BenzBoy

Grand Master

JoeB did not complain at Eastern Creek after some serious braking was required several times...;)

Having driven, and been driven in, the 690SEL this morning, at speeds that caused me to check for damp spots on my jeans, I can assure you that Commander Malik's brakes do work as the Good Lord intended them to. :eek:
However, I am sure the slotted discs would be most interesting.
Regards,
BenzBoy

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
So, interest in these items is next to nought.comma.01. Okay, no worries. Next item to possibly whet the appetite - anyone for Brembo rear disc rotors to fit the 116 or 126 for that matter ? I have but one pair, and they can be slotted. Naturally, they're somewhat dearer than your run-of-the mill after market items.

Brembo - now you're talking 'Class' as far as brake components are concerned. You know, just about all high performance conveyances use Brembo brake items - why be left behind in the Brakes stakes. You can be up there with the best of them !

When I look at the brakes of the 6.9's, they are no larger than the units used on 280's etc. That is a similar situation as found on the 6.3 models, which shared their brakes with the 280's as well. One of the reasons why brakes on modern cars are so efficient is on account of swept volume of the brake capacity area. As best as I could, I have looked at many caliper/rotor arrangement on many cars, and I tend to think that a number of even smallish or mid size salons are fitted with brakes larger that you'd find on a 116.

Thus, I tend to think that any modification to improve efficiency of the braking system has to be a step in the right direction. Regards Styria

Des

Ah yes that black dust is most annoying,

pulled some hubcaps off a car over the weekend the black dust went all over the clean hubcaps

:mad:

Des

Always room for improvement though, remember the brakes are the same as the 280S cars, unless you have ABS?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
So, interest in these items is next to nought.comma.01. Okay, no worries. Next item to possibly whet the appetite - anyone for Brembo rear disc rotors to fit the 116 or 126 for that matter ? I have but one pair, and they can be slotted. Naturally, they're somewhat dearer than your run-of-the mill after market items.

Brembo - now you're talking 'Class' as far as brake components are concerned. You know, just about all high performance conveyances use Brembo brake items - why be left behind in the Brakes stakes. You can be up there with the best of them !
Styria

I am somwewhat interested in the size of the Brembo brakes...

Also..... you only have rear, which in my opinion woud be almost useless if the front isn't changed to match...

Des

I am somwewhat interested in the size of the Brembo brakes...

Also..... you only have rear, which in my opinion woud be almost useless if the front isn't changed to match...

I've heard the brakes off a W126 is a good starting point for improvement, just need bigger wheels (16 inch +) to fit over them.

Des

Maybe JoeB's car would be a good starting point for someone to have a look and confirm the brakes do mount up to the same points under the car etc...

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I've heard the brakes off a W126 is a good starting point for improvement, just need bigger wheels (16 inch +) to fit over them.

I wonder ....

Do they simply fit?

Or is there much in terms of modifications?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Well I've "heard" they fit straight up, don't quote me on that though!

We should ask that question on the Ozbenz forum.. surely JG would let us know..

Last edited:

-bb-

Noble
A set of Styria's slotted discs and 'dust free' pads are going on my 6.9. It needs new discs all 'round and the pads are just about gone, so I thought why not take the opportunity to upgrade them a bit. The current pads put the black dust all over the front wheels, so not having that will be a bonus.

I'll let you all know how they are.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
A set of Styria's slotted discs and 'dust free' pads are going on my 6.9. It needs new discs all 'round and the pads are just about gone, so I thought why not take the opportunity to upgrade them a bit. The current pads put the black dust all over the front wheels, so not having that will be a bonus.

I'll let you all know how they are.

Now that is an ideal time to change....
We await your verdict.... :D

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
The Brembo rotors are the standard size applicable to all 116's. I bought those Rotors some years ago, and I would seriously doubt if any would be available readily nowadays.

I am not necessarily suggesting that these Brembo disc rotors are going to be the end all of an efficient braking system, but neither do I think that one would need similar units at the front. Other than racing applications, I am led to believe that one cannot buy better braking components then Brembo units. Regards Styria

Des

We should ask that question on the Ozbenz forum.. surely JG would let us know..

Or Joe might be able to take some photos of his car as he is pulling it to pieces.

Might be some discs available there.

SELfor50

Brembo's are pretty much the best, street or racing.. in my opinion.

Styria, did i miss something, are the rotors your supplying Brembo??? Are the vented front AND rear or vented front and solid rear, then slotted / drilled on both ends?

Cam2. :)

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
HI SELfor50, just to summarize. I have only one set of rear Brembo rotors which I bought years ago - presently they're plain, but I can get them slotted. I do not have front Brembos.

I also have slotted Front and Rear rotors, and I am offering the first three sets, whether front and/or rear, at the special price I have quoted previously. Anything after that will be a little more expensive. These rotors are not German made as I believe that ATE units are prone to premature wear, and Teves or ATE pads will cake your wheels with that excessive black brake dust.

It is claimed that probably 65% of braking is done by the fronts, and I have no qualms with that reasoning or, perhaps, call it fact. Whilst perhaps it may be 'overkill' to have slotted rear disc rotors, for the extra money (very little) it does no harm to have them modified. So, that's the situation. It is always up to an individual as to what they are prepared to specify or buy. Regards Styria