6.9 head gasket - part No / where to buy

More threads by CraigS

OP
CraigS

CraigS

Apparently it has a hook in it for getting around the cam shaft. I haven't seen one, but this was what was explained to me. A normal hex socket won't fit, and I want to check the torque settings before I remove the head.

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes I remember the tool and one can be made with an oxy and an Allen key socket. The factory ones were in the shape of a 'C'.

How will you accurately check the torque on the bolts? Backing them off and re-tensioning won't work. Simply tightening will result in over tension. I'd suggest that would your only option and will just be an indication. I'd be interested to see how you go, as MB always maintained they didn't need to be re-torqued (unlike the 6.3s)....

OP
CraigS

CraigS

I don't want to torque them - I just want to see if the rear ones are different from the front ones. Not an exact science of course, but will give me an indication.

That C shape sounds right, but assuming it has a hook in it, I don't see how it will continue to turn - unless you have to keep taking it out and re-positioning it.

Oversize

Grand Master
Exactly! A complete pain in the a*s! :mad:

Styria

The Godfather
Well boys, there are no special tools required - just a good quality, some specially made up Allen keys welded to hand picked sockets. If you need to remove the o/s head, do yourself a huge favour and remove the brake booster. Indeed, I'll go one step further and remove the steering box as well.

Both items, when in situ, unnecessarily greatly restrict access to components and render placing the head back on the engine block unnecessarily awkward. Believe me, I speak from hard earned, sweat inducing experience. BTW Craig, didn't Mr. Bunting, previously remove the head (s) from your red car - that's when it was in Brisbane ? Or was it the white one ? Regards Styria

N.B. As a matter of interest, Craig, the problems I had with Gleaming Beauty was in fact part of the gasket between No. 4 cylinder and, I think, the oil return holes at the back of the engine block, having been burned away

Last edited:
OP
CraigS

CraigS

At this stage, I am not planning to remove the head. I just want to try to find the cause of the lack of compression in the two rear cylinders on the right bank. Valves seem OK, so I am guessing it is the head gasket. I have essentially zero in number 4 and about 80 in number 3. I would do a leak down test on it, but first I need to relocate the car so that it is not blocking anything, then I can start to pull various pieces off, such as the radiator so that I can get to the crankshaft nut and turn the motor over to TDC. Damn hard with everything in place, and impossible to lock the crankshaft for the leak down test. I will have to in due course, but will gather all the parts first, then attack it later. I just want to see what is going on first and checking the torque is one of them. Yes, the brake booster will need to come off. Will try to avoid the steering box, but if it has to, it has to.

It was the white one that we did the head gaskets, timing chain, valve guides, chain guides, torsion bar mounts, etc. etc. I will likely do the same with the red one.

abl567

Super Moderator
Any joy with the Classic Centre prices Craig?

OP
CraigS

CraigS

Sorry - forgot to mention them. Tom came back to me this morning. His reply:

Single head gaskets are $107.00 each. Head gasket kits are $350.00 each. I don't know if this "kit" includes both gaskets, or if it is one gasket, plus the associated exhaust, intake gaskets, and..........? I have asked him to clarify.
Valve seals not included. Cam cover gaskets not included either.

Very good prices. Niemoller's price is EUR 350.55/gasket.

I am staggered at the differential between the different vendors. The only one I haven't checked is the dealer price, so will call Marshall's tomorrow just out of curiosity. I also have a friend in the US that gives me good prices and he will be coming back to me tomorrow.

Last edited:

abl567

Super Moderator
And the moral of the story is:

Support the Classic Centre and they will support us.
From conversations I've had with Tom during M-100 group meets in the USA he worked long and hard to be able to supply parts to us, let's not bite the hand that feeds us over a few bucks.
Classic Centre prices are very good and the freight prices fair and reasonable.

Steps of soap box and wanders away with arms folded

OP
CraigS

CraigS

The Classic Center was always on the list of potential suppliers, but obviously the time zone factor kicks in when you are looking on a weekend. I don't have any problem buying from them and have done so on a number of occasions, but I always check with others as there is often a deal to be found. In the end, it is my money, and despite the job that the Classic Center does at trying to support us enthusiasts, the parent company and divisions like Mercedes Australia does little to earn any support.

Oversize

Grand Master
Surely someone sells a complete CRS kit? No idea what that generic term stands for by the way, but it was a kit that was used when replacing head gaskets. And it usually contained every spare part, seal and gasket that was required to complete the job. There's no way I'd tackle such a job without everything readily available. That includes rocker cover gaskets and stem seals. And personally I'd pull the whole engine rather than muck about with boosters and steering boxes. More time consuming, but far easier and it won't stuff your back bending over the guards for hours on end.... :mad:

OP
CraigS

CraigS

Mercedes have never been known for putting all the parts together. There is more money to be made from selling them separately.

I agree with you on having all the parts on hand. If nothing else, I do tend to plan a long way ahead. I will check, then re-check, what needs to be done, and what can be done while I am working on "X".

Styria

The Godfather
Come on guys and everyone, let's not knock Daimler Benz because, after all, it is them that enables the Classic Centre to sell at better prices. Just imagine if the old pen comes out and crosses out the facilities offered by the Classic Centre - if that happens, a lot of us would be spitting poo, including yours truly. I know exchanges of ideas are good and to everyone's interest, but let's be a bit diplomatic and just go 'hush, hush'. Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Craig, if you have no compression on No. 4, that would point to a valve problem. Obviously, you can carry out a leak test, but at the present reading a leak down test will provide no further information. You could try the oil in the bore test, but I would suggest that you have a valve problem (well, I have already said that :eek:) - more than likely a burnt or cracked valve. That was one of the problems with Gleaming Beauty's o/s head. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Buy a borescope (which have come down in price considerably)....

OP
CraigS

CraigS

you can carry out a leak test, but at the present reading a leak down test will provide no further information.

It will tell me if air is escaping when the valve should be closed, so from that point of view, it does help to narrow it down a bit.

OP
CraigS

CraigS

Come on guys and everyone, let's not knock Daimler Benz because, after all, it is them that enables the Classic Centre to sell at better prices. Just imagine if the old pen comes out and crosses out the facilities offered by the Classic Centre - if that happens, a lot of us would be spitting poo, including yours truly. I know exchanges of ideas are good and to everyone's interest, but let's be a bit diplomatic and just go 'hush, hush'. Regards Styria

I know we have different views on this, but I just don't like being screwed, and the variation in the prices of the head gasket is further evidence that something is seriously wrong with the way they calculate their pricing. I wouldn't mind if there was a slight variation - after all, we all have different tax regimes, and there are some logistical problems in Australia because of the population demographic, but if Tom can sell it for $107, there should not be more than a maximum of a 20% variation from another reseller. Don't forget that this is Tom's retail price and a further 15% will be deducted.

Oversize

Grand Master
Mine has a small mirror and light on the end, which should work... in theory. I haven't tried it yet tho

OP
CraigS

CraigS

Mine has a small mirror and light on the end, which should work... in theory. I haven't tried it yet tho

Sounds pretty similar, but unless you buy the big dollar ones, the resolution and amount of light is insufficient to see enough to be able to diagnose the problem properly.