Valve Grind & De-coke on 6.9

More threads by Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Tony, thank you very much for that. Yes, I do think it is great 'library' material - probably better than perhaps even a MB workshop manual. Don't forget Tony, that there is an additional thread dealing with 6.9 headwork under the heading of "further grinding and de-coking" that I carried out on the Astral Silver 6.9 that was bought by ChrisP.

When I think back today, there are two items that I would remove prior to attempting removal of the right hand head - remove both the power brake unit, as well as the steering box. With those two items in situ, the removal and refitting are an absolute nightmare. Obviously, with the brake booster removed, it also affords the opportunity to replace the sway bar bush - a much neglected item. Regards Styria

WGB

I have new front and rear sway bar bushes on the way for this xmas' orgy of repair and thought the same thing the last time I had the booster out.

Wish I'd had the new bushes then.

Bill

Oversize

Grand Master
If any of mine get to this point I'll seriously consider pulling the engine out.... BTW well done Styria for such a comprehensive series of pics and dialogue!

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
If any of mine get to this point I'll seriously consider pulling the engine out.... BTW well done Styria for such a comprehensive series of pics and dialogue!

Hi Mark, that's what it is all about. When you are proud of what you're achieving, it is satisfying to share it with others. If someone can learn something from someone else's experience (such as it is) and even trials and tribulations, it's all worthwhile. Regards Styria

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
I have re-visited this thread which involved removal of heads, valve grind and de-coke of my Gleaming Beauty (6.9). I came across the thread accidentally when commenting on another post, and I discovered, much to my surprise, that the restrictions by Photobucket appear to have been reversed. Well, of sorts. The pics are there, but bear reference to Photobucket.

That to all intents I am not particularly worried about. Many, many times, I considered digging out the photos and re-submitting them to the thread itself. That will now not be necessary. Couple of observations. This work on Gleaming Beauty was carried out in 2011 - eight years ago. I really don't know where the time has gone, and obviously I have not used Gleaming Beauty all that much. What I can convey is this - since the advent of that work and up to now, at no time did I experience any water leaks, oil leaks nor any fuel leaks. Nothing further has been touched - cold start, hot start, spark, .....nothing. I walk to the car every time, simply turn the key and it starts. I think I have good reason to be pleased with my work in re-assembly and the very able assistance rendered by Mercules at the time. Regards Styria

Patrick_R

Grand Master
I’m glad this post was brought back Styria.
I may not have seen this at all.
Thank you.

A great read and a great result all those years ago.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Thanks Tony - wherever you are. The good old days. I am responding to re-activate the thread. Regards Styria

Thank you Patrick !

Oversize

Grand Master
Well it seems I’m in the process of a 6.9 rebuild now... What started as a blown headgasket has turned into a full rebuild. And a big factor on how things progress is the availability of piston rings.

So why aren’t you driving yours much? Any current pix or video??

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Well it seems I’m in the process of a 6.9 rebuild now... What started as a blown headgasket has turned into a full rebuild. And a big factor on how things progress is the availability of piston rings.

So why aren’t you driving yours much? Any current pix or video??
Which car is this on?
Can you do custom rings? I've heard this is not as expensive as some factory rings.

Oversize

Grand Master
Which car is this on?
Can you do custom rings? I've heard this is not as expensive as some factory rings.
A mates gold 6.9. I might start a thread unless he beats me to it lol!

We’re looking at all options, but if rings cannot be found then it’ll be a rebore to BB Chev or LS size (due to parts availability), plus lightweight high compression pistons.

Oversize

Grand Master
It would seem it’s extremely difficult to remove the LH cylinder head on an Aussie car with the engine still in the chassis. The EGR pipe is a big headache.