Track day anyone?

More threads by GreaseMonkey

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
haha. I've just seen styria's other pics. What is that pose Michel, does it mean "I'm number one" hehe.

Can't help laughing every time I scroll up or down and michel pops up with his salute.:p

It was done because the Godfather kept pestering in taking pictures all the time and he would take aaaaaaaages to click and he said something (as usual) ... so I guess I made a gesture... and he 'snapped' it...:D

abl567

Super Moderator
It was done because the Godfather kept pestering in taking pictures all the time and he would take aaaaaaaages to click and he said something (as usual) ... so I guess I made a gesture... and he 'snapped' it...:D

A fun moment, I caught it all.
Michel I agree with Cam on the valve stem seal theory, mine does the same:rolleyes:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi B13, I put that picture in as I was having trouble with Photobucket, and someone on another site (vintage motocross magazine) basically indicated that this picture I had emailed to him was"not very good" - it is in fact several photographs cut up and inserted in my album - so I thouight I'd try it outby downloading (uploading) it straight onto Topklasse.

BTW, it's not just any trailbike - I converted this 360GP Motocrosser for trailbike use. In 1973, it was the winner of the Australian 500 Short Circuit title, the Laurie Boulter Trophy and the Grand National, all in the hands of Gary O'Brien, the son of the Montesa Importer. It is for sale.

Ossie - as I said, I'd refrain from making 'appropriate' comments. The mind would boggle with suitable comments but, look, let's just say the man is a show-off. I am sure you'd agree. :D It'll be interesting what retort he is going to come back with.

That pic with the Monty was taken about 1978 on my property at Glenorie. We were all bike mad, had seven acres, the kids all had Honda XR 80's, whilst Parks had a 80cc Suzuki Motocrosser. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
A fun moment, I caught it all.
Michel I agree with Cam on the valve stem seal theory, mine does the same:rolleyes:

Cam was probably right on both counts (the valve stem seals and the nut behind the wheel):p

However, the blue smoke came out when I really over-revved the engine as I thrust the gearbox down into first gear to slow it down at the end of the straight or anyone ther part of the circuit.

But hey, I had fun...:D

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Ossie, well done - it would seem as though SELfor50 only had about six seconds a lap on you, and you could see that he was trying pretty hard.

The other remarkable thing to come out of these videos, particularly the last one, is the totally competent driving of Tony (Adytum - I think I'm right) in his 450 SLC. I know he was going hard by the way he tackled the long sweeper after the main straight, but I thought that Cam would have the wood on him under braking. On the other hand, the SLC should be lighter and more nimble.....fascinating comparison between the two cars and driving style by each driver.Thanks heaps, Ossie. Regards Styria

SELfor50

Great vids Oscar!!!! :cool:

Thanks again for uploading mine! Absolutely stoked with a few sub minute laps in there. 59's?. Still not quick enough though.

I definitely had the wood on Tony in the 450SLC styria, but I didn't wanna push it too hard in case there was paint swapping.. I was all over him during the rest of the track, in fact most of the turns i'm not even on the throttle..I was going to dive on him on turn 1.. but thought it's not worth it. Cause if he didn't see me, and he turned in then neither of us would've been happy. :)

Love the fly-by vids too Simon, nice work mate!

Cam. :)

oscar

Yeah, too many fly by moments with me watching unfortunatley... haha

michel, there's much more footage of course but I've had a real problem trying to make them longer and clearer for youtube. cam's vibrating camera mount is actually a great affect when watching the uncompressed footage. Everything's clear and makes the car look like it's rocketing along. Wish I had more trackside footage though. My footage there is just from my phone but I would've loved to have setup a tripod in a few spots.

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Thanks for the vids Oscar, looks like everyone was going for it, but how good does the 690SEL look?
Just blowing on down the road, that's a helluva ride!
What times did you get Michel?
Chris M.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Grease Monkey. as I said in an earlier post, there were some 'real triers' that weren't frightened to punish their cars. However, not only that, but they also showed remarkable competence.

Michel drove hard, yet it seemed to be in complete safety, Just once or twice, under hard braking, he had to correct, but halfway through that first corner you could hear him change down a gear - I thought down to second (that's how I would have driven, or selected second about 30 metres from the corner and then left it in 2nd all the way round), but it would appear that he changed to first.

What seems also quite implausible is how well the brakes and tyres lasted.

SELfor50 seemed a little untidy sometimes, by having to correct his lines, both Ossie and abl567 drove their cars symphathetically (what a word to spell), one of the MB Club members in his 55AMG Coupe was a model of consistency and smoothness, Reg Wright in his 350SL certainly drove HARD and spectacularly as evidenced by his spins in the first corner, there also was another Club member in his 500 Coupe (topping up with oil) that went very well for lap after lap and also Tony (?) in his 450SLC - drove very hard also, but oh so consistently the way he tackled the corner at the end of the main straight.

You'll have to forgive me for not being able to identify each driver/car combination and their names. Also, let's not forget the young lass that reeled off consistent lap after lap in Cam's 116 Special - very impressive. Unfortunately, did not see a great deal of Julie-Anne on account of the slight mishap but it was good to know that she walked away from it. Regards Styria

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Sounds like all gave it a good go anyway, Julie-Anne had a slight mishap?
Glad she is ok and I hope it does not put her off. Was that Cam's car, is it ok?
If there is a next time, I would expect a few will want to get back out there again!
Chris M.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Might be able to get another date sooner than I thought on behalf of the MBC of NSW...

Anyone interested in mid-Jan or early Feb?

Last edited:

SELfor50

Might be able to get another date sooner than I thought on behalf of the MBC of NSW...

Anyone interested in mid-Jan or early Feb?

Early Feb, definitely interested! Jay is ok, thanks GM.

What times did you end up pulling in the 690SEL Michel??

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
What times did you end up pulling in the 690SEL Michel??

My best (but with traffic) was 1:01 otherwise it was consistent 1:03 and you saw, I had NO traction..

Anyone interested in mid-Jan or Feb?

Last edited:
OP
G

GreaseMonkey

No excuse this time, I'll get fit by then, promise.
C.M.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The date seems to be firming up for towards the end of FEB...

I am pushing for the 22nd.....

I'll keep you all posted, but I still need to know from each and everyone of you WHO wants to come..

IAN (B13) are you up to it?

Last edited: