POVO hits the track

More threads by oscar

oscar

From this
Team116car3-260408004.jpg

to this

imgp5149mediumxv6.jpg

It's amazing to reminisce now and look back at the older threads to see what was and what is now. I'd almost forgotten what was involved in starting this project. But after 6 long months POVO finally got its first run at Oran Park. The work required would've taken a pro a couple of weeks full time to accomplish I reckon but for a hack like me and wreching on days off only it's taken much longer. A rough estimate to get POVO running again was $3000 including $800 on various tools. I wish I kept better records but that figure would've blown out more had I not had parts from the $300 dismantlers on hand.

And how did it perform - fantastic. Definitely the slowest on the straight as everything else being driven were V8's 3.5L and above, but it did well round the bends. The replaced steering box made a hell of a difference and the Solex carb didn't have any issues. The engine sang all day throughout the 5 or 6 10 minute runs. The only parts to show some wear besides the tyres was the right front brake pads which came in smoking after one session and soon glazed and squealed. But they still worked well and pulled up povo without fade.

140km/h was the top speed down the straight with a good run on and WOT all the way. Everyone else was managing 150-185km/hr. Surprisingly I couldn't make use of the manual gearbox. I tried but 2nd gear had nothing to offer before red lining and then 3rd gear would labour whilst getting up to speed. In the end the faster times occured when the gearshift was left in third. There's still room for improvement with a number of items but the next aim will be to remove the Solex and place the Holley on plus a cold air intake as originally planned. Weight loss will need to continue and a brake upgrade will be on the cards too but all in all it's been a rewarding experience and the track day was so much fun.

Here's another POVO vid but longer with a few of my faster laps.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
You have made us all proud Simon.

With your limited resources, you have produced a respectable cruiser/bruiser that showed what it's all about.
The three Ps:

Patience, Perseverance and Passion.

Well Done....

CHEEKYWINKWinCE.jpg

B13

Love the picture of Povo overtaking Ol'silver on the straight.

Lowered a bit at the back and decked out in race paraphernalia its going to be quite an interesting race car to watch.

No descernable gear crunching on the 4 speed manual box like you thought there'd be, and a nice raw engine sound with the interior stripped out.

Go the Povo!

Ian.

Andrew280SEL

Fantastic work Oscar!

Pretty inspirational stuff there. I guess I must have been away for quite a while, as this is the first time I've seen POVO admittedly :eek:

Also gotta love the sound of that engine :D

G

GreaseMonkey

You've got me intersted, I will go back through the whole story of POVO and the build history.
So what do you do with it now, is it meant for racing, sprints or hillclimbs?
If so, what classes do old Mercs race in?
Chris M.

OP
oscar

oscar

Oh man you've got some catching up to do Andrew:p I know you've been busy but the short of it is that SELfor50 bought the car in Canberra, had it for four days, hit a kangaroo at high speed near Albury, was under pressure by the towing mafia to move it or loose it, I offered to help and trailer it back to Canberra, halfway back I had a brainwave that perhaps I could fix it. And somehow I did.:cool: But if you're up for the full story the main threads are
here and here oh and here in that order. Same for you GM if you want to go back to day 1 or flick through the pics.

BTW GM, my plan was to go and do hillclimbs with an occasional sprint at a circuit track so I joined the SDMA club in Canberra/Queanbeyan with that in mind but after the day at Oran Park I think I'd like to do more sprinting and less hill climbing. If all goes to plan, next year I'll be turning up to as many FFCC v HSCC (ford club v holden club) sprint rounds in Victoria as possible. Both clubs aren't exclusive for members to run a ford or holden and the only event I've spectated at back in July at Sandown there was a huge variety of cars. I'm not 100% sure what official class or category our cars are in though. Engine sizes are split up of course but I'm not sure of our category. If only more people would buy up the sub $1k w116's for the purpose of racing we could have a w116 group just like the HQ's and Mini's and Carerra's............ahhhh wishful thinking. It'd make a great support event, better than celeb racing.

Hey Ian, although I knew the car was still high and the negative camber on the front reduces the effect a tad but I've only just now realised how high the back is still. :eek: It's got positive camber too after the weight loss program. Might have to cut springs maybe?? Can't afford customs yet but despite it's looks it seemed to handle well without too much roll. I'm just as inclined to leave it for longer whilst I play with the engine.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
If only more people would buy up the sub $1k w116's for the purpose of racing we could have a w116 group just like the HQ's and Mini's and Carerra's............ahhhh wishful thinking. It'd make a great support event, better than celeb racing.

A 116 series huh?
hmmmmm, I have a decent 280SE sitting in my warehouse.....:cool:

SELfor50

Ossie, first of all.. I was reminiscing on those pics the other day. Before we headed off to OP I showed Jules the pics of the day I bought it, 4 days later... and then how you've resurrected it.

All I can say is, i'm so happy the towing mafia didn't get it, and the ol' girl is getting the love she deserves... You got more balls than most taking on a complete front end chop and change. ;)

And secondly, watching that vid dude - you had the lines down f*kn perfect.. in fact I reckon with a few extra horsies - we could've had a great duel on the day! ;) Your braking points were also pretty late as well judging by the vid.. I don't think I was ballsy enough on the day with late braking, but you definitely got alot out of POVO!!

Nice one bruvvaaa..... :cool: