Track day anyone?

More threads by GreaseMonkey

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Count me in, even if the SLC has sold by then, I will bring one of the others. If I have the SLS installed in the Crayford by then, maybe even that will get a run!
C.M.

B13

IAN (B13) are you up to it?

I can't speak for the others, but I'll be at Winton on that day (Feb 22th) in a competitive event, 1st round of the Ford vs Holden (vs MB) challenge series.

While I wouldn't advocate driving all the way from Sydney to see some 116s great thrashed at a country circuit 500km+ away, there are some nice B&Bs in and around Benalla if people wanted to make a weekend or something of it.

I.

SELfor50

Don't know if I'll have the ol' girl back to a level of comfort by then.. only got 4 weeks after I get back. :( But if I had to choose, i'd go Winton over Oran Park. OP is a very fun track with the up's downs and nice shicanes.. but winton has a longer straight and doesn't chew my tyres as much...i hope.

Also the FFCC events are quite enjoyable, very organised club. :)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I can't speak for the others, but I'll be at Winton on that day (Feb 22th) in a competitive event, 1st round of the Ford vs Holden (vs MB) challenge series.

While I wouldn't advocate driving all the way from Sydney to see some 116s great thrashed at a country circuit 500km+ away, there are some nice B&Bs in and around Benalla if people wanted to make a weekend or something of it.

I.

Geeez, that makes it hard. Two events on the same day....

oscar

Me too unfortunately Michel. I mean I'll probably head to Winton on the 22nd. However, if 22nd it has to be so be it. Gauge the interest of everybody else because I'm sure there will be a few extras wanting to give it a go, plus the others will want a second outing and if you don't get the maximum of 25, I know the rest will be filled with other cars. I was speaking to that Ken with the 240Z and he said he had put his name down on a reserve list and got the call up. As you'd probably know it sounds like the arrive and drive days are very popular, so even if we don't fill a full field there'll be non mercs filling the void.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Me too unfortunately Michel. I mean I'll probably head to Winton on the 22nd. However, if 22nd it has to be so be it. Gauge the interest of everybody else because I'm sure there will be a few extras wanting to give it a go, plus the others will want a second outing and if you don't get the maximum of 25, I know the rest will be filled with other cars. I was speaking to that Ken with the 240Z and he said he had put his name down on a reserve list and got the call up. As you'd probably know it sounds like the arrive and drive days are very popular, so even if we don't fill a full field there'll be non mercs filling the void.

How sad....
I'm quite happy to try and find another date if you and Ian are happy to make the trek up to Sydney.
The 22nd is not confirmed yet by Oran park Raceway...

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Finally Albert has edited and posted the video clips he did from inside the EVO.

I hope you guys like them.

This is part one:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
This is part two:

oscar

How embarassing. The second vid where the EVO's waiting to overtake me and the 500sec Albert sounds like he's idling. My car was redlining.:eek:

Great vids there Michel.;) Perfect lines, it's great to hear the gear changes too and how the ratios seem a perfect match to keep the car accelerating. Albert's had plenty of experience and his laps looked flawless. It would've been great to see what he could've achieved in mine re gear changes and faster laps.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The 22nd of February is confirmed as the Oran Park Track Day

Can those interested in going again let me know?

abl567

Super Moderator
The 22nd of February is confirmed as the Oran Park Track Day

Can those interested in going again let me know?

I'll be there on the 22nd, this time with some attitude;)

oscar

I don't want to stray from the announcement of another track day Michel but I've still a few vids I've been working on all week to get up on youtube. The material below and my laps are on a dvd too now which is nothing different to what I've posted already so there's no new material except for the dvd menu which I reckon looks pretty bloody good so I've youtubed it.:cool: Just wish I had the time to take more trackside video on a decent camera other than my phone. It would have been great to mix a few of the offs and passes with full laps viewed from different points around the track and make a decent dvd. We'll need a full production crew next time.:D

Cam part 1/2

Cam part 2/2

Anthony part 1/2

Anthony part 2/2

DVD menu

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
This is part one:

This is part two:

Albert advises me that these clips have been updated with times and commentary.
Worth another look ;)

SELfor50

Was albert heel toeing during that?? His up-shifts seemed nice and quick too... no doubt he's giving the car a bit. What was his top speed? Did it top the 180 or so you did in the 690SEL?? :confused:

I have to say as always though, the hiroshima screamers are generally always boring to watch... GTR skylines are slightly different cause theyre not permanent 4wd and being a turbo 6 they can get well crossed up and exciting.... but the evo's and STI's are pretty boring to watch. :eek:

No doubting that 'out of the box' they are a purchased laptime, but I think it takes the driver out of the equation a little.. Like buying a clubman for motorsport...... :rolleyes:

Oscar, if you want something fast - think of that Supra that was at sandown.. now that was a quick machine!!

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Was albert heel toeing during that?? His up-shifts seemed nice and quick too... no doubt he's giving the car a bit. What was his top speed? Did it top the 180 or so you did in the 690SEL?? :confused:

Albert didn't need to. The EVO has a dual clutch auto box that was simply amazing.
He was close to 180 all the time..

I have to say as always though, the hiroshima screamers are generally always boring to watch... GTR skylines are slightly different cause theyre not permanent 4wd and being a turbo 6 they can get well crossed up and exciting.... but the evo's and STI's are pretty boring to watch. :eek:
No doubting that 'out of the box' they are a purchased laptime, but I think it takes the driver out of the equation a little.. Like buying a clubman for motorsport...... :rolleyes:

They are simply amazing to drive. You can alsmot never lose them (unless you act real stupid)...

SELfor50

Ahh... i was spinning out.. Cause i thought to myself.. it sounds like an auto. BUT , its an EVO, can't be auto?! The gear changes sounded very fast and smooth.. either way, sounded like the ratios were good.

And thats where I'm coming from, you can't really lose them even when pushing hard. So put an in-experienced driver behind the wheel of something like a hairy v8 after driving an evo, and they'd almost kill themselves in an instant without all the driver assist and balanced design of the 4WD and speccy suspension and steering etc..

But yeah, theyre still great cars!

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
And thats where I'm coming from, you can't really lose them even when pushing hard.

Ohhhh YES you can .... Believe me... (I almost did)

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Seeing as I am doing some performance mods to my recently bought 6.9 . At the prompting of Mark (Oversize) I have agreed maybe a trip to Heathcote in rural Victoria may be on the cards with my 6.9 once I move over east. Unfortunately it is being delayed by personal and work related affairs but I will move as soon as I can. :D New Track day anyone.