The daddy of all W107's

More threads by Des

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Stefan is a mate of mine (you'll see my name in mag article) .To get the car approved in Germany he had to submit for a TUV inspection. Part of this involves testing with a radar. Max speed is 252 kmh...:eek:.As Stefan says.."not bad for an old car!".
To fit the engine in he has effectively lowered the front end with spacers because the M-100 engine is almost a meter high from dry sump housing to the top of the kjet.
the trans sat higher so a tunnel mod had to be carried out underneath to clear the drive shaft. The 107's are bit narrow too so the steering idler has to be moved or exhaust manifolds modified to clear.
His next plan is to install the complete hydro suspension from the donor 6.9 .A good idea as the W114 based front end is a bit tentative when asked to support a 6.9 engine!.
other body mods included fitting the oil tank into the right front inner fender and making a remote oil filter.

he was lucky in that he was able to speak with several old AMG employees who told him as many as 12 107's were fitted with M-100's including at least two 6.3's which are even higher,having a wet sump.AMG had a special bonnet with a subtle bubble to clear the bigger engines.
Theres a 7.2 liter AMG 350SLC in the US with a 5 speed trans and was built for the CEO of Dresder bank. That has to be the ultimate...!
This one omy own projects,a 73 450SLC i have the m-100 sitting in the shop ready to go in,I just need to find a trans .:)

What a coincidence I was answering this post when you came on board.
Welcome Ron B.
Nice to have you on our Forum ;)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi RonB, I had seen from the credits published by Stefan that you had a hand in the project somewhere along the line. When you say that he had to submit a Radar Test, how was this done ? In Australia ?

The 107 front end has been described as somewhat suspect on account of weaknesses in the attachment of the lower link to the subframe - I think that's what I have read somewhere and I believe that Mercedes honoured warranty claims for many years afterwards. It was, I believe, a safety issue.

As far as AMG and 6.9's are concerned, do you have details of modifications carried out by AMG to the engine itself. Obviously, there were different cams,but I wonder what other mods there were ?

A friend of mine with a 6.9 also is well into American muscle cars. He believes that the biggest problem hotting up 6.9's is the restriction as far as air intake volume is concerned. He has bored out an intake venturi, but he is greatly limited by lack of metal. In fact, he suggests that the 6.3 Intake venturi is more generous in its ability to suck in air. A further restriction, of course, relates to the intake chamber and the exhaust manifolds. His motto is 'get as much air in as possible, and get rid of it just as quickly'. Makes sense to me, but you may be able to add a bit more to this theory.

I've sent you a PM, but welcome aboard Topklasse. Regards, Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Okay, who's the biggest dope of all ? Styria, that's who. Who mentioned Subframe recall only a few days ago - our dearest friend Des. I'll go and crawl into my holle now. b......y......e ! :confused: Styria

-bb-

Noble
large1zv3.jpg

large2sb4.jpg

large3ex9.jpg

large4ha5.jpg

large5oa8.jpg

large6is0.jpg

Styria

The Godfather
Hi bb, thanks for doing that. I see that the pictures are missing - is there any reason for that ? Next thing of course is to ascertain some way of transferring it to the Resources Section - hopefully with pictures. Regards, Styria

-bb-

Noble
The pictures are missing because all I enlarged was the text for translation purposes as per your request.

s class

Styria

The Godfather
Hi S-Class, thanks for the link to this 100 post regarding that 'Siuper Duper 690SLC....

Couple of items I have noted with interest. First of all, the drilled disc brake rotors - I just wonder if they are in fact 107 or 116 units that have just been drilled as a modification, or whether, in fact, they're an aftermarket or later model modification. Maybe RonB. may have an answer.

The other item of interest is the positioning of the windshield wipers - one would have thought that on a left hand drive 107 the wipers would be in the same position as on the 116's.

I am with you as far as retaining the Hydraulic suspension on 6.9's - it may have its shortcomings and expense maintenance wise, but I guess that's how they should be.

Mind you, Mercedes is doing its level best to make it very difficult to own a 6.9 - I won't go into details now, but they are sure determined to render them as old, useless relics. I am not blowing my trumpet (some might disagree - who cares what the dissidents may think), but if it wasn't for some of my experiments with suspension components, Gleaming Beauty would have been put to sleep by now - I simply could not afford to run her. :mad: Regards Styria

s class

ONe side effect of MB's pricing on 6.9 suspension components is that it is rapidly reducing the number of 6.9's still running. That must eventually benefit the value of those still running with hydro and not spring conversions. Admittedly, values will not rise over night, but I am looking at the long term.

J

JoeB

I'd like to ask more questions of Stefan and his 6.9's I remember his Benzworld thread on supercharging the 6.9 also.

unfortunately, the m-100 forum seems to be refusing registrations, and have been for some time. I remember trying to register last year and got the same story.
Maybe they are elitists and don't allow questions from people who aren't paid subscribers... or maybe it's an MB secret society with a special handshake or Masonic Sign required to gain access....
:rolleyes:

s class

JoeB,

THe M100 site closed off new registrations for a while because they had a tremendous spamming problem. I believe that has been resolved and it is now possible to register.

I was registered for about a year before I made the decision to become a financial member. And in fact I was a member for some time before I owned a M100 powered car. Most of them are a pretty reasonable bunch.

Try registering again. If you don't succeed, I can contact the membership secretary for you to find out what's up.

- Ryan

abl567

Super Moderator
I'd like to ask more questions of Stefan and his 6.9's I remember his Benzworld thread on supercharging the 6.9 also.

unfortunately, the m-100 forum seems to be refusing registrations, and have been for some time. I remember trying to register last year and got the same story.
Maybe they are elitists and don't allow questions from people who aren't paid subscribers... or maybe it's an MB secret society with a special handshake or Masonic Sign required to gain access....
:rolleyes:

The M-100 site had a lot of problems with spammers so registration was blocked. I'm a member so will bring that to the attention of the administrators of the site and hopefully allow new registrations again

J

JoeB

The M-100 site had a lot of problems with spammers so registration was blocked. I'm a member so will bring that to the attention of the administrators of the site and hopefully allow new registrations again

Any news on this?

if they want to manually register, please ask them to email me (pm me to confirm this)