Wanted:W107 Convertible

More threads by scf500

scf500

Hi All,
New to the the forum.
Decided to join as maybe fellow forum members can help me.
I am in the market for a W107 Convertible 450/380 SL.
Looking for a honest car,Oz delivery,service record etc.
Does not have to be concourse quality, but in reasonable condition.
Can anyone help?
Have been looking on Carsales,Carsguide. Just want to know if there are anymore out there for sale.
Thanks.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi scf500, it's good to have you on board. By the sound of things, you must be pretty well up to speed as to what's available in the market place. Going on what I have been told, some owners have looked conscientiously sometime for up to two years to find really nice examples - albeit you will need to pay well for a good car. If ever you find a car to your liking, make sure that it is well inspected prior to purchase.

I see you insist on right hand drive - fair enough. However, have you seen details of Michel's 500SL he has for sale - now, that is a cracking good, and rare car. I have driven and looked at it in detail - why not contact him ?

With the 107 range, a rust free car should be mandatory, although not easily obtained. Start with that and then go over the rest of the car. If you feel comfortable, once you have found a car that meets your criteria, let us know on topklasse. Good luck with your search. Regards Styria

OP
S

scf500

Hello Styria.
Yes looking for a RHD car.
I have been looking for a SL for about 18 months now.
Finding a rust free example is not impossible, but you will need to pay for it.
I have spotted Michel's 500SL AMG on Carsales and Ebay. It looks the goods,but not what I am looking for.

Styria

The Godfather
Hmm.....all right, if you're not interested in Michel's car. I understand where you're coming from. So let me throw you another "lifeline" :)D) - how about a CLK 320 Convertible ? Absolutely rust free, absolutely beautiful, in absolutely unmarked and unmolested condition. No good ? I know it's not an SL, I know it represents a different style of motoring (well, sort of), but it's got a soft top and its driveability is beyond reproach. Just ask me who's got it - that's if you're interested ! Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
What a lucky family friend. I must admit to taking a real liking to the CLK Convertibles. Lovely interiors, and nicely compact bodies. However, it is surprising the degree to which they are losing value. Anyway, good luck - it will be interesting to see what you come up with in the end. As a matter of interest, would it be your first Mercedes ? Regards Styria

OP
S

scf500

No not my first, have had in our family the following Mercedes.

1976 W107 280SLC White
1977 W123 280E Red
1973 ????? 280CE Blue
1991 W124 300E-24 Anthracite
1996 W202 C200 Blue/Black
1997 R170 SLK230 Silver
2003 ???? A190 Grey
2005 W203 C200K Silver

I have had numerous other cars over the years.

Currently have 2009 BMW 335i and 2003 Mini Cooper S both tastefully modified.

So as you can see I think I know my "Mercedes" pretty well.

dmb1978

Hi there

I don't have an SL for you but I thought you might be interested in my recent buying experience. I was looking for a nice SL with similar criteria to you for about 3 months. I then came across a beautiful 1974 350sl in Sydney (I'm from Melb) at a fairly well known Sydney dealer. The car was immaculate and was in the color combination I was after (ivory with tan bamboo interior). But the price was over $38,000 which was too high for me. I offered $30K primarily on the basis that, although immaculate, the car only had service history up until 1995. The dealer turned me down.

I came back to Melbourne and two days later I found the car that I bought listed on ebay - a 1973 450sl with no rust and in fantastic condition - not immaculate but close - with full service history and in the same color combo for $14,500! Three months later and it is my daily driver and I love it. My point...not sure there is one... just that if you keep looking and you know what you are looking for (like you I had Mercs before) you will find it. Good luck!!

Styria

The Godfather
Hi dmb1978, one of my favourite quotes follows these lines: " If one door shuts, another door opens.If it doesn't open, you kick it open". In your case, what you didn't get today, you'll get tomorrow.

It's great that you should have found what I consider to be an absolute bargain, especially if it is in the condition that you claim it to be. SL's can bite you hard, so it's good to see a happy ending story. Maybe, if you are that way inclined, we'd love to see some pics, and also some other details that you may think we'd be interested in. Good luck with the car. Regards Styria

dmb1978

Hi Styria

Thanks for the post. The car is in great condition, the guy I bought it from (a lovely older gentleman) was paranoid about rust like me and fish oiled the inside of the doors, the soft top rollers etc.... Of course for that price it isn't perfect. Whilst the exterior is almost perfect, the interior just needs a bit of a touch up. I recently bought new mb tex covers, carpets, some interior chrome trim, new centre console and some nice zebrano wood trim from bits4benz in Sydney (highly recommend). All up it will cost me about $4K to get the interior like new. The hard top had a small rust spot which I had professionally repaired for $1K. The soft top is excellent, easily get a few more years out of her. So all up, will end up spending close to $20 - $21 and it will be just as good (if not better) than the one I was going to buy for $30. Already getting lots of comments about how nice it looks. Has 260,000 ks with full service history, original books ... and is a 73 - no emission control!! Will post pics once the cosmetics are done, cheers

iluvbrownale

email sent!

450SL in VGC close to going on the market. late 70's, no rust, full service history stamped into the original books. Great colour combo (light blue metallic, creme interior). She's a cracker.

WiSeGuYY

Hey scf500
while surfing in the forum threads i noticed your ????? in your fleet ( or ex fleet) of the BENZ

if you allow me to suggest that the 280CE model year 1973 would be W114

and the A class 2003 would be the W168

hope i'm right, regards .

TAREK

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hey scf500
while surfing in the forum threads i noticed your ????? in your fleet ( or ex fleet) of the BENZ
if you allow me to suggest that the 280CE model year 1973 would be W114
and the A class 2003 would be the W168
hope i'm right, regards .
TAREK

You are spot on Tarek!

By the way, we are still waiting to see the pictures :)

WiSeGuYY

hey Mickey

I know i promised to show you my cars pic - i already have tiny few but for the big benz and my beemer - the AMG was out with wifey so i will shoot it when i can ( might be tomorrow) now let me download them to the bucket thingy and if i'm lost i will yell at you in ARABIC

REGARDS

TAREK

WiSeGuYY

HEY MICHEL , i.m lost --- hehehe --- scream for help- i already put 6 photos in my photobucket ( for both my W126 & BMW X3

photos not nice but cause they are in the garage and light not very nice , i promise i will post better photos when the cars are out.

now how to get them here ? this is my quest for now

REGARDS

TAREK

Styria

The Godfather
Hey Tarek, how come you call my 'wunderkind' of a son Mickey ? :D He will go very crook at that - he will curse you in Arabic ! Keep trying with Photopucket - it's a good system. Regards Styria

WiSeGuYY

LOL STYRIA , THe one and only GODFATHER , i really miss MICHEL hope he is well and be back soon to the forum , he can cuss in ARABIC anytime to clear the way .

i admit that BILL (WGB) is cool and actually i'm impressed with all the fine people i meet here , only i feel hooked to this forum and became addicted.

REGARDS

TAREK

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi Tarek, Godfather and all,

I am in (very hot) Dubai at the moment and seriously busy with hardly anytime to do much else.
I will be back in Sydney by the weekend.
Regards to all

WiSeGuYY

HIII MICHEL ,
Nice to see you wherever you are (safe and sound) hope next time go a bit further to CAIRO - then we will meet for sure - my brother is also traveled this week to DUBAI for couple of days for work or visa extension i don't thought much about it since i have no biz there .
Anyway happy to hear you are well , then extend the invitation to drop by if you around CAIRO.

REGARDS

TAREK