Something died in my car.

More threads by WGB

WiSeGuYY

Hi GUYS , did you ever try to use ULTRA SONIC insturment - i hear it chase them away . rats and mice i mean.

REGARDS

TAREK

Tony66_au

Bill Murray he is a funny guy and the movie he starred in was on telly recently!

He is my Guru, I was thinking of priming the rat burrows with LPG and igniting them with rocket igniters from a safe distance, but the last time I did this (With rabbit burrows) I blew the side out of a hill.

Ooops

Tony66_au

Hi GUYS , did you ever try to use ULTRA SONIC insturment - i hear it chase them away . rats and mice i mean.

REGARDS

TAREK

I have 2 of the "Good" units and the unit I had plugged into the dishwasher power point has Rat pee on it............

Anyway the issue here is with rats that normally live outside invading the home.

My home is rodent free now, its just the out buildings and paddocks that have them (Rats) and this is where im fresh baiting as the baits in and near the house go untouched.

Oversize

Grand Master
Tony it was definitely blood and not wee. I believe Ratsak makes them bleed internally and it was coughing up blood all over the contents of the cupboard before it kicked the bucket. Yuk

This is the first one we've had in the house and we'll have stations all over for quite a while as a result.

I found a hole in the shed where rodents were getting in and I've been baiting that for weeks. The Ratsak was disappearing at a great rate and I decided to step it up with a new type of spring loaded trap ($$$). Not knowing if they had a favoured route inside, I placed ther trap next to the hole on the outside of the shed. I hesitated for a moment thinking this could lead to something interesting, but ended up leaving the tray there. All excited I headed out to the shed the next morning, expecting to find a rather unhappy (dead) rat, or mouse in the trap. Instead, there was no rat, mouse, or....... trap!!! Nothing! I seriously doubt a rat got caught and ran away with my expensive trap. What I do think happened (and crossed my mind as I placed the trap in it's last know position) was that rat got caught; Big Bird got rat (plus a bonus trap). I've been looking for a white rat trap in the trees for weeks..... :mad:

BTW the Raksak near the shed isn't being consumed at such a high rate now, so I am winning the battle.

Oversize

Grand Master
Up in AraRAT some friends opened the bonnet of a car that was being used regularly and 3 rats ran out!! There were a few other critters that decided running wasn't the best option (after seeing what happened to one that didn't get away) and tried their luck at hiding in the nest; which took up all previously vacant space in the engine bay. The owner was completely unaware, but it wouldn't have been too long before the whole thing caught fire and went up in smoke. Probably the best solution to the problem seeing as it was just a Camry.... ;)

OP
WGB

WGB

A dead rat lying in an upturned glass lid!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!! I asked the missus to head outta the room while I disposed of the bastard, who'd taken a turn for the worse overnight. Probably due to the Ratsak I'd left in the cupboard quite a while ago.

1) Rattatoui anyone ? - didnt Monty Python do something like this with rats tails hanging out of glasses or food portions or something similar.

Ratsak contains warfarin which is used widely in medicine as an anticoagulant and the rodent has to eat it over several days before ir starts to haemorrhage and die - this makes it safer for children and household pets if they accidentlyu eat some - on a single occasion.

There is also another version which is a Gel in a tub which will kill rodents again by anticoagulation with a single feed. Unfortunately it will also kill your children and pets quite convincingly and hence should be left in roof spaces or other inaccessible places only.

2)On another note I gave my car the "sniff" test today and the smell of "D'Arth" is now less than the smell of beautiful leather so will tajke the car for another run to work tomorrow and test it out - probably only a little lizard.

3) Some years ago my wife and I returned from a driving holiday in the South West and her ML270CDI she had at the time had performed flawlesly. The next morning I received a frantic telephomne call saying the car was only barely running and pouring blue smoke out the back.
It was flat decked to Diesel Motors where a roasted rat was removed from the exhaust manifold while it's mate had climbed up the inlet and had literally exploded and coated the air filter - hence the poor running due to the blocked air cleaner. From memory that was a $375 rat by the time the car was transported and repaired.

Bill

Tony66_au

Mongrel things!

Sounds like you have similar numbers to me on and off Bill.

The stuff I use is also an anti coagulant but it is very fast and isn't expelled in faeces.

Brodifacoum is its chemical name and it seems to work within hours of consumption and brings death within 24 hours, When I baited the hay loft it not only knocked off rats and mice but took 3 possums through the pearly gates as well so it seems to be highly toxic. Just as well I wear Nitrile gloves when handling the stuff.

I have yet to find a bait that works so fast and the brand I use is X-Verminator +

Tony

Oversize

Grand Master
We're currently dealing with a plague of millipedes which is just lovely as they seem determined to climb the walls and get inside. They come up from behind the skirting boards, and last year we even had a few drop out of the ceiling fans. Just brilliant if you're standing underneath at the time!!

The most effective technique to get rid of them is to sweep them up and flush em, or drop them in a bucket of water. We've tried Dettol spray, surface spray etc to no avail. I'm about to rip out a garden bed next to the house and pave the area. The only plants nearby will be in pots. And then we have to seal up all the holes and use mesh over the wall vents (in and out). I'm seriously considering replacing the ceiling batts and hiring an industrial vac to clean the space before the new batts go in. We just bought some stuff called Carbaryl, which will hopefully do better than other chemicals. You can buy traps that have a light over a bowl of water and in April there's parasites available called Nematodes that should decimate their numbers... Oh the joys of country life!! :eek:

Oversize

Grand Master
What's the best way to plug miscellaneous holes around the house to prevent rodent entry? I've heard steel wool is good as they apparently won't eat it, but I'm worried it'll rust over time and cause staining to paint etc.... Can you get stainless wool? Are most scouring pads stainless? I was thinking of using wool in combination with silicon, or expanding foam. However I've found some expanding foam doesn't last long in the elements (even just sunlight) and silicon will be messy. Suggestions?

Should I use liquid nails to fix screens over the wall vents? Or is there something neater that would do the job?

OP
WGB

WGB

We're currently dealing with a plague of millipedes which is just lovely as they seem determined to climb the walls and get inside. They come up from behind the skirting boards, and last year we even had a few drop out of the ceiling fans. Just brilliant if you're standing underneath at the time!!

:

If you are talking about the smelly Portugese man-o-war millipede they have arrived in Plague proportions in Perth in the past 20 years.

They move at night and are worse when the ground is wet and are attracted to light.

Not sure what your house is made out of but I (from advice from the Hospital gardener) put a line of Derris Dust (Tomato dust) across every possible external access point . Very few survive crossing the dust line.

Bill

Oversize

Grand Master
Yep it's the very same critter. I had my first experience with them in a brand new house in Sunbury back in 2000. Apparently disturbing the soil set them off. They apparently feed on dead plant material, but there was none in Sunbury at the time. They say they're attracted to light and bright colours, however we've found they really love our mission brown back door. They also say they will only climb to a certain height, but I'm seen no limit so far. Apparently they like the damp, but will drown in water if they can't get out. They have no enemies apart from us and the Nematodes (which can takes years to be effective). Apparently they give off a toxic chemical which makes them unattractive to anything that might consider them as lunch. I'll have to try the dust and report back...

Tony66_au

What's the best way to plug miscellaneous holes around the house to prevent rodent entry? I've heard steel wool is good as they apparently won't eat it, but I'm worried it'll rust over time and cause staining to paint etc.... Can you get stainless wool? Are most scouring pads stainless? I was thinking of using wool in combination with silicon, or expanding foam. However I've found some expanding foam doesn't last long in the elements (even just sunlight) and silicon will be messy. Suggestions?

Should I use liquid nails to fix screens over the wall vents? Or is there something neater that would do the job?

There is no quick fix for this, and it's an ongoing task because Rats make their own entry and exit holes Mark, As for screen vents?

You can buy them with the flyscreen already attached, or remove the original units and glue the flyscreen to the back of the vent and re fit. Fibreglass mesh lasts longest BTW unless you want to lash out and get Bronze fly wire.

Holes in walls, skirting etc is best patched with that ever they chewed through although my pantry and kitchen sink cupboard is now backed with gal steel sheet.

No good blocking an old hole with something nasty because they will just find another way in, So the best way forward is to kill em and then monitor for re infestation because you will never keep them out if they are there.

Oversize

Grand Master
WGB try some charcoal, Cuddly refill packs and moisture absorbing pellets suspended over a bucket. Have a look under the rear seat base because that's an easy one to remove.... Good luck!

Oversize

Grand Master
I just tried Carbaryl spray today, so we'll see how the millipedes like that! If it doesn't work, I've suggested this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kmTNObny3k

But I'm told if I put even one hole in a wall I'll be in trouble.... I have approval to use BOTH full auto Nerf guns, but they're just not the same! :(:(

We had to open the windows and close the door to the second bedroom yesterday as I think the Ratsak has done it's job and there's a familiar smell. :eek: And so our battle with the unwelcome creatures continues....

Last edited:
OP
WGB

WGB

My "car" smell is definitely improving.

I took my 6.9 for a drive in yesterday's 41 degree heat and smell was definitely reduced - almost to acceptable.

My guess is a ?mouse/rat has climbed up the recirc flap as it was left parked with the controls on recirc (and I know the flap works)and the smell was definitely worse with the air-con going.

Bill .