used car trade in values

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
A good rule of thumb is 10% after 10 years for any Car in reasonable condition. $8K offer for my C250 C Class top of the line with 80,000 ks. Friend Impressa cost $25,000 valued at $2,000. Works for most of them. :eek:

abl567

Super Moderator
The Hilux was $45k new, has 230,000k's. 10 years old next year.
Easy $17k in a private sale.
That's why I buy 'em.

abl567

Super Moderator
Swap for the Hilux, cash my way?

Styria

The Godfather
I don't think it works as any valuation on a car one would wish to trade with a Dealer (for one of his cars) really depends on the Dealer and his Red Book valuation. I recently called in at a yard with a number of quite attractive vehicles in his yard. I had my Captiva parked in front of a store about fifteen metres away.

I said, after some discussions, why not have a look at my car - it's all there for you to see and evaluate, and give me a price on your $17K. Kia Sorento. Just not a 100% sure which car - for the purpose of this post, it is of no real consequence. The Captiva was, or is, in really nice condition, straight, nice paint, nice everything, and it was indeed ready for a fair valuation. On returning to him to ascertain his thoughts on my car, he was happy to tell me that, according to the Red Book, the car would be worth between $700.00 to $2000.00, depending on......? He was not really interested in even looking at the car, nor its condition. He knew it was a five seater (could or should have been seven) which would affect its trade in valuation and he was only interested in what the Red Book told him.

In my view, always best to advertise privately, preferably to "passing" motorists on main roads. Regards Styria.......unless, of course, you have something really super on your hands.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
I think the truth of the matter is that Dealers don't want used cars when the average Punter can get into something new with all the bells and whistles, in the 18 to 25 K range with a 5-7 year warranty and very low borrowing costs. But not from them, go to a bank.
I recall a Used Car Dealer I know, telling me that he makes more money from kickbacks from Finance Companies and insurance Companies than from:) selling the Car.
Have I got a Deal for you !!!!!

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
New car dealers don’t want cars that are more than a few years old on their used cars lot.
Anything else will be sold to a wholesaler at Red Book value regardless of how well it was kept or looked after (give it take a few hundred dollars).

Styria

The Godfather
The dealer I talked to only dealt in used cars. I appreciate that they don't want old used cars on their lot, so consequently one needs to look at alternatives - the private buyer. Mind you, the trade in problem also applies to new car dealers. We paid about twenty or twenty one for a Japanese manufactured Honda Jazz - a car that deserves and enjoys a much appreciated better than average reputation as far as quality and reliability are concerned.

After the car was about two years old (2015), I chanced to walk in at the Honda Dealer at Artarmon who were having a demo sale on certain models. I did not have the Jazz with me, so the Salesman could not assess the car personally. I gave him a very detailed description, and he was kind enough to suggest a trade in price of, wait for it, six grand - maybe, if you bring the car in on the weekend, we might be able to offer you a slightly better deal. So, prospective buyers, and prospective sellers, keep your wits about you. Regards Styria

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Sorry Michel, but so called remanufactured Batteries are Batteries that have had perhaps a few dud cells ( individual 1.2 Volt rechargeable Batteries ) replaced by seemily serviceable used one from another Battery Pack.
They are not remanufactured ..full stop. Just patched up with fingers crossed. Also maybe the merreid of contacts cleaned up of corrosion built up over the years. The individual Batteries in Toyotas are sourced from Panasonic and are not the run of the mill rechargeables from Bunnings. I don't know that Panasonic will supply there batteries to the general Trade.:(

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
An old car that requires a new engine is the same as an old hybrid that requires a new battery.

c107

and 111/116/124/126
dealership service costs have got to the point where 90% of the public views owning a car outside warranty as a major liability. Thus, few people want cars outside this period and their values decline rapidly. This is also coupled with a higher proportion of cars that are leased, meaning those people just turn it in after 3-5 years and get another one at the same lease payment.

The exception is true work vehicles like Anthony's Hilux.

When new car warranties were short and parts / dealer costs were more reasonable, people were happier to drive and maintain a car for longer. Having said that most cars have about a 10-15 year life before being crushed.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Very impressed with the now German built Ford Focus, and now with an 8 Speed Torque Converter Automatic. I have gone off the Golfs which persists with a Dual Clutch Box. Who wants them out of Warranty.
Focus also has a 1.5 lt 3 cylinder Turbo with good Torque. Larger Pistons ?
Flat torque curve from 1500 RPM to 5000 RPM.
With little Wifey joined at the Hip with the C200 CGi, I will probably give no 1 Granddaughter the C 250 as a Wedding present next year. Saves me the bother of finding a Buyer, and also gets:) me into the 2020s with the modern Engine and multiple Auto Transmissions. Michel's experience I took note of.

Oversize

Grand Master
Apparently resale on the new ‘Commodore’ is atrocious and probably is another exception to the rule. Might actually be a good buy used...

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Maybe it is, that the , so called new Commodore is actually an Opel built in Poland. Now that Opel is also gone, perhaps the name should also die with it.
The next mid sized Car from Holden will most lightly be a Peugeot of some sort with Holden written on the back.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
And why not another trouble free Golf ? Well the Engine for Australia will be carried over from the currant one from the 7 year old Mk 7. Not the newly developed 1.5 Lt as in Europe. Plus the new 8 speed Torque Converter Auto in the Focus and the German build quality. Up there with the Golf.:)