Something died in my car.

More threads by WGB

WGB

With all the workon my car over the past month or so the car has been left parked with doors and windows open at times and obviously something reptilian or mammalian has crawled inside and taken up residence.

I have not driven the car for two weeks and it has been left shut up and locked and after congratulating myself on how the car had sat for two weeks without any visible sinking on it's struts and how the low pressure light didn't come on when I started the car I noticed the smell of putrefaction inside the car instead of the smell of old car and nice leather.

I drove the car to work but on the way home that night decided it would be a simpler job to leave the car parked for a couple of weeks more while the West Australian summer dealt with the chemistry.

Not sure if it is behind the dash, in the aircon system or wherever, but hope it was only a little animal.

Bill

BenzBoy

Grand Master
With all the workon my car over the past month or so the car has been left parked with doors and windows open at times and obviously something reptilian or mammalian has crawled inside and taken up residence.

I have not driven the car for two weeks and it has been left shut up and locked and after congratulating myself on how the car had sat for two weeks without any visible sinking on it's struts and how the low pressure light didn't come on when I started the car I noticed the smell of putrefaction inside the car instead of the smell of old car and nice leather.

I drove the car to work but on the way home that night decided it would be a simpler job to leave the car parked for a couple of weeks more while the West Australian summer dealt with the chemistry.

Not sure if it is behind the dash, in the aircon system or wherever, but hope it was only a little animal.

Bill
It's that snake you used as a fanbelt. They last only a week or two before they start to stink...;) Get a new one; black snakes gives the best mileage.
Regards,
Brian

OP
WGB

WGB

I don't have a problem with snakes that smell - it's the odourless ones that worry me the most.

You might be joking but the score at our place stands at 16-1 where 1 was my beautiful 10 year old Black Standard Poodle - Chloe.

Bill

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bill, I just hope it's not a rat that's kicked the can inside your car ? If it was my car, I'd have no peace until the offender was located and removed. Not nice. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes I'd be pulling mine apart to find the mongrel. I really hate rats as they'll eat almost anything, they'll get in anywhere and have the audacity to then die somewhere completely inaccessible and stink the hell out of everything. On a 6.9 I'm sure they'll have a appetite for parts that are rare and expensive.... :mad:

I had one die in the wall of my old house and we had to shut the door and not use the room for a month. **!!&^!(#@##@^%

Tony66_au

I don't know about you Bill but I have a constant battle with Rats and mice, Park anything in the house paddock for more than a week and the Rats move in under the bonnet although the Mercs seem to be rat proof and safe from interior invasion I am constantly spotting new rat poo on the air cleaner lid.

So now I have a spot in the big old dairy shed that I constantly re bait and inspect for signs of rodents and snakes, Blue tongue lizards I encourage and I have a huge old bluey that skulks about the shed and so far anything parked therein has shown no signs of rodents.

My old ute however is a different story and currently also pongs to high heaven. but as it is a simple car with rubber floor mats only I removed the offenders and hosed the rat soup out through a rust hole in the floor.

Should you or anyone be of a vengeful nature I can highly recommend a 50/50 mix of icing sugar and plaster powder left about in shallow bowls, I have 30 of em sprinkled about in dry areas and it is also highly effective.

OP
WGB

WGB

Should you or anyone be of a vengeful nature I can highly recommend a 50/50 mix of icing sugar and plaster powder left about in shallow bowls, I have 30 of em sprinkled about in dry areas and it is also highly effective.

Ooooh that sounds nasty - dying of constipation:eek:

Bill

Oversize

Grand Master
Just ask Elvis!!! Nasty....

Styria

The Godfather
Ooooh that sounds nasty - dying of constipation:eek:

Bill

You know Bill, I hate to tell you - but you, as much as anyone else, is aware that 6.9s should be driven on a regular basis ! Regards Styria

N.B. As a matter of interest, I had a 6.3 parked in a paddock for about twelve months at one time. It took a Land Rover Discovery to tow it back to the shed (collapsed suspension and all) and when eventually I came to clean out the under bonnet section, the accumulation of dry greens and rats' poo was astounding - it all sat in the middle of the valley right under the injection pump. Wonderful stuff.

Tony66_au

It takes less than a week in some instances before Rats move in and out here in the boonies its a real hassle.

Given time they will make their way into the cabin and then its damage and smell that becomes the issue even if they havent died in the car their unique smell takes months to dissipate.

Then there are their nasty little habits, Piddling everywhere, Rat turds and the mites they often carry which are happy to live just under our skin.

My Range Rover stank even without dead rats and it only recently came good nearly 8 months later, I have a Hibitane disinfectant here (Hibiclense) that we keep for difficult births and wounds, a spirit based surgical scrub that slaughters most pathogens and possible nasties and I used nearly 20 lt of the stuff cleaning and re cleaning the interior which I removed along with Carpets and sub floor insulation, ducting etc, even the seats and seatbelts got attention as did all hard surfaces.

I finally removed the hard roof lining and found yet another nest in the roof cavity as well as pulling the dash scuttle panels and half the HVAC system.

Remembering Biology 101 was handy knowing full well that where there is smell there is bacteria and the wonders of modern science were brought to bear on the issue.

Finally I placed 2 x Pest bombs in the Rangie and set them off leaving the car closed for a full week before attacking the interior again with a fogger and Hibiclense not wanting any sub-dermal visitors feeding off me.

As the Mercedes are far more prized than my old Rangie I am now super vigilant with my baiting and extermination efforts to the stage where I even keep records of bait consumption and death tally so I can better target my efforts.

Obviously Nil bait munching means no rodents and checking and refreshing baits that go untouched means I can monitor any new activity.

Jen thought id gone nuts a while ago and compared me to the Grounds keeper from Caddyshack.... (Bill Murray) but after leaving some edibles in the shed and finding them untouched the following day she was convinced my efforts were paying off lol

Tony66_au

It takes less than a week in some instances before Rats move in and out here in the boonies its a real hassle.

Given time they will make their way into the cabin and then its damage and smell that becomes the issue even if they havent died in the car their unique smell takes months to dissipate.

Then there are their nasty little habits, Piddling everywhere, Rat turds and the mites they often carry which are happy to live just under our skin.

My Range Rover stank even without dead rats and it only recently came good nearly 8 months later, I have a Hibitane disinfectant here (Hibiclense) that we keep for difficult births and wounds, a spirit based surgical scrub that slaughters most pathogens and possible nasties and I used nearly 20 lt of the stuff cleaning and re cleaning the interior which I removed along with Carpets and sub floor insulation, ducting etc, even the seats and seatbelts got attention as did all hard surfaces.

I finally removed the hard roof lining and found yet another nest in the roof cavity as well as pulling the dash scuttle panels and half the HVAC system.

Remembering Biology 101 was handy knowing full well that where there is smell there is bacteria and the wonders of modern science were brought to bear on the issue.

Finally I placed 2 x Pest bombs in the Rangie and set them off leaving the car closed for a full week before attacking the interior again with a fogger and Hibiclense not wanting any sub-dermal visitors feeding off me.

As the Mercedes are far more prized than my old Rangie I am now super vigilant with my baiting and extermination efforts to the stage where I even keep records of bait consumption and death tally so I can better target my efforts.

Obviously Nil bait munching means no rodents and checking and refreshing baits that go untouched means I can monitor any new activity.

Jen thought id gone nuts a while ago and compared me to the Grounds keeper from Caddyshack.... (Bill Murray) but after leaving some edibles in the shed and finding them untouched the following day she was convinced my efforts were paying off lol

Tony66_au

Its the Mission impossible theme song playing over and over in my head that makes me do it........

Actually I just hate Rats, and this place was crawling with them when we moved in, and with Rats come Snakes, Good tucker for Snakes are rats.....

Then again in hindsight maybe the commando rolls and Camo gear is a bit much......

BenzBoy

Grand Master
"Then again in hindsight maybe the commando rolls and Camo gear is a bit much...... "
As we often read on here - photos please~~~ NOW!!!!!:D
Regards,
Brian

PS: This one got away......
rat1.png

Last edited:

Oversize

Grand Master
We woke this morning and decided to have a cooked breakfast. I opened the cupboard below the sink to find the toaster. I looked at the shelf and noticed some stains on the shelves. I hoped it wasn't what I thought it was.... On closer inspection I thought it looked like blood, with tiny footprints throughout. On my hands & knees I was looking deep into the cupboard, but the answer was only about 30cm from my head. A dead rat lying in an upturned glass lid!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!! I asked the missus to head outta the room while I disposed of the bastard, who'd taken a turn for the worse overnight. Probably due to the Ratsak I'd left in the cupboard quite a while ago. I spent the rest of the morning cleaning the cupboards. I'm glad it was me that discovered it, otherwise the place would be on the market by Monday! Yuk. :mad:

Tony66_au

The stains are rat piss, hit em with good quality bleach and water Mark and dont be shy.

I have an Ultra violet torch that makes rodent pee glow in low light like luminol lights up blood spatter, very handy for making sure you get it all.

And this morning a mate tells me about Rat shot.....

Anyway, my methods and hatred of mice and rats is a perfectly normal reaction to having ones home invaded.

Especially after throwing out a near new dishwasher and over $1000 worth of pantry items because of rodent infestation, And it just happened over night with no warning.

Piccies...

8d36c1fd.png

5441a156.png

Styria

The Godfather
Mark, that's what one would describe as the perfect start to a nice, hot day - my God, I feel so sorry for you. That just ain't cricket. Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
The stains are rat piss, hit em with good quality bleach and water Mark and dont be shy.

I have an Ultra violet torch that makes rodent pee glow in low light like luminol lights up blood spatter, very handy for making sure you get it all.

And this morning a mate tells me about Rat shot.....

Anyway, my methods and hatred of mice and rats is a perfectly normal reaction to having ones home invaded.

Especially after throwing out a near new dishwasher and over $1000 worth of pantry items because of rodent infestation, And it just happened over night with no warning.

Piccies...

8d36c1fd.png

5441a156.png

Bill Murray he is a funny guy and the movie he starred in was on telly recently!