Repairing Door Lock Actuators - money saver

More threads by BAR

B

BAR

Having paid out around $100 for a replacement door lock actuator once, I found that the real problem was that one of the rubber diaphragms had perished.

My research has since found this is the easiest way to go.

Buy a replacement diaphragm kit [two] for about USD $17.00
http://mercedessource.com/node/1044

If the vacuum is leaking the check valve helps to hold vacuum in the system

http://mercedessource.com/node/1050

John S

You can purchase the one-way vacuum valve at any Mercedes Benz dealer for about the same price as the USA one shown, and there is no freight to be added.

You need 4 of the rubber vacuum diaphragms per door, the top two tend to crack up first (get covered with dust etc) while the bottom two last longer, but replace the lot. The rubber joiners can also be split after 30 years, and a plastic tube may be split.

CraigS

Not a cheap repair if you replace all seals and all doors. Minimum cost A$212 without freight, plus labour - either yours or a mechanic (who would obviously prefer to sell you the seals and add his markup). Replacing the vacuum lines at the same time would also be prudent, so I could see this costing upwards of $500 if you put it into a shop to have done. Anyone price the seals at a (local) dealership,or are they not available as a separate part ?

John S

A number of dealers will only quote the complete unit (plastic box plus the vacuum diaphragms all set up) but check around; Morrisons for one will quote the rubber diaphragms separately.

OP
B

BAR

Is that Morrison's at CHatswood.

The Parts Man to speak to there is:
Parts Manager, Ron Wigglesworth Phone: 9468 8800

Definitely a good saving to buy the diagphragm only.

Sometimes the metal parts get affected by moisture, but can be revived with a good soaking in WD 40 and gentle wire brushing.

OP
B

BAR

By the way, I just rang Morrisons [Ron wasn't there] and the parts person said that 'you won't buy the diagphram on its own'.

Where's the truth?

John S

Phone Morrisons back and ask to speak to Megan, who is a member of the MBCNSW!

Most dealers will only supply the complete units, but Morrisons' will supply the diaphragms separately.

Styria

The Godfather
Why should there be a difference in sales principles from one dealer to another or, for that matter, one person to another ? I have heard that Megan is a good contact to have on your side, and having met her twice (but never really got a chance to speak to her properly), she seems to be the preferable choice of contacts.

Still don't get the situation, though - there should be one rule for one and all and, preferably, the cheaper option. What an excellent find, Bar. BTW, I contacted my 'favorite MB dealer' a few months ago on that very same subject and was told that you could not buy the diaphragm separately. There you go. Regards Styria

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
BTW, this thread should really be in another section, but we'll refrain from taking action - I just ask "please put your threads in the correct category as best as possible". Regards Styria

abl567

Super Moderator
Please consider Tom Hanson at the classic centre, you WILL pay less and recieve the right parts sooner than the local dealers.
I've downloaded the Adsit price list and can confirm I have paid less for parts through the classic centre than Adsit prices, this includes rare 600 parts I sourced for the Pulman in another post.
Try it, it works

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Well abl567, you're a champion. I have never expressed my gratitude to you for organizing the head gaskets for Gleaming Beauty. You were kind enough to order them from Tom Hansen and, honestly, the price was such that I was actually able to go ahead and start on the job on account of the favourable price.

I had the choice of buying off an MB dealer and, quite honestly, I have not been checked across the straps each and every time I would think about the job - it was becoming a more than pressing matter with all the water getting into the oil and making creamy fluidy chocolate within 20 kilometers of driving. NOT NICE, LET ME TELL YOU ! So, I also had the choice of locally made gaskets which I had previously used on 6.3s. (not yours, abl 567). What I didn't realize, nor was I aware of (same thing, isn't it), is that the locally produced gaskets are thicker than the genuine 6.9 Reitz gaskets, thereby in effect reducing the compression ratio. Thanks to abl567 and Tom Hansen in the States, buying genuine became a viable, and Better, alternative, Regards Styria