Anti-lock braking system

More threads by Styria

Styria

The Godfather
.................explained, by way of Mercedes Benz Sales Brochure. Regards Styria

Attachments

• Anti lock braking system.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 10

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
As far as I know, the 6.9 was the FIRST production car in the World with the ABS system.
A few were produced, right at the end of production run in 1980.

They WERE NOT the first in the World however, to have an anti skid braking system.
That distinction belongs to Rolls Royce. They used a a version of the Dunlop Maxaret system, first used on aircraft. It was discontinued in production, after a short period.

Pontiac were the first to use air bags. They were an option on some models, about 15 years before airbags were an option on the W126.

260ebenz

Master
That W126 brochure for the ABS is terrific.

Going to save a copy of that brochure.

Again thanks for posting the brochure Styria as a fellow W126 owner that is a terrific read.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Gentlemen,
We love our Benzes, however, I'm afraid the Americans had the edge on production models

Chrysler, together with the Bendix Corporation, introduced a computerized, three-channel, four-sensor all-wheel ABS called "Sure Brake" for its 1971 Imperial. It was available for several years thereafter, functioned as intended, and proved reliable.
In 1970, Ford added an antilock braking system called "Sure-track" to the rear wheels of Lincoln Continentals as an option; it became standard in 1971.
In 1971, General Motors introduced the "Trackmaster" rear-wheel only ABS as an option on their rear-wheel drive Cadillac models and the front-wheel drive Oldsmobile Toronado.
And believe it or not....
In the same year, Nissan offered an EAL (Electro Anti-lock System) as an option on the Nissan President, which became Japan's first electronic ABS.

Voila!

A

Afro107

I think the edge Mercedes had was that it was the first to offer ABS as standard feature and on all 4 rotating wheels... for W126.

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
....plus, of course, the system and technology, as "pioneered" back in 1980 or thereabouts, is still current and in production today. Can the same be said of the American systems ? Mind you, it's a fascinating subject and Michel has aptly demonstrated his knowledge of the American Automobile market. Regards Styria

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi guys I have posted this before the Jensen Interceptor FF was the first car with ABS . And Styria VW offered the TSI engine in the Golf before the Polo. It is also the standard engine in the new Bettle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jensen_FF

OP
Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys I have posted this before the Jensen Interceptor FF was the first car with ABS . And Styria VW offered the TSI engine in the Golf before the Polo. It is also the standard engine in the new Bettle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jensen_FF

Geoff, I have always been under the impression that it was only the Polo's 1.4 litre engine that had both Turbo and Supercharger. Also, getting back to ABS. The Jensen system was developed by Dunlop, and marketed as the Maxaret Braking system. Again, it never really went beyond the Jensen Interceptor, being considered to be far too expensive to keep it in production. Still talking brakes, I wonder why Dunlop never kept up with the manufacture and supply of their various brake calipers. Does anyone know, or have an opinion ? Regards Styria

N.B. I think it is worth looking at these pictures of a Jensen FF for sale, and some of its history-talk about "hijacking a thread" !

http://www.lupine.demon.co.uk/fsff6.html

Last edited: