6.9 Intake Manifold & Throttle Body - Loctite Threadlocker vs Copper Anti-Seize

More threads by simon-69

simon-69

I am in the process of restoring the intake manifold on my 1978 6.9 as it had a bad air leak.

I am about to bolt the throttle body in place with a new gasket then bolt the two halves of the intake manifold back together with new rubber donuts.
I was hoping to get opinion on whether it is better to use a Loctite Threadlocker or a Copper Anti-Seize Compound?
They are 6mm socket head bolts & I believe they are the original standard washers not lock washers.
My general understanding is it is a good idea to use the Copper Anti-Seize where you have steel bolts going into aluminium because of the dissimilar metals & the possibility for corrosion etc.
However I am wondering if there is the potential for the bolts to loosen without lock washers or a Threadlock compound.
The Loctite 272 High Temperature Threadlocker service temperature is rated up to 200 degrees & I imagine might be ok.
What are your thoughts on which is the best solution Copper Anti-Sieze or Threadlocker?

Any help on this would be much appreciated

Cheers

Simon

I have been using the following CRC high temp anti seize compound: http://www.crc.co.nz/Copper-AntiSei...nd/6895-327a003a-3ee2-4980-97d7-7b6e816ae339/

daantjie

Distinguished
Re: 6.9 Intake Manifold & Throttle Body - Loctite Threadlocker vs Copper Anti-Seize

I personally use Permatex Anti Seize compound. Great stuff. I have used it sparingly on many "steel bolt into aluminium head" type applications with no loosening whatsoever. I would stay away from thread locker for this application.