MB Throttle linkages

More threads by Oversize

Oversize

Grand Master
What's missing here (red arrow)??

CIMG6440-1.jpg

A circlip is the answer! Not overly critical, but it does highlight an area that's often neglected. The black coloured circular object further along the shaft (and partly hidden behind the mounting plate) is known as a throttle ball (yellow arrow). The originals were clear (not black) and didn't last long. Unfortunately they tended to collapse and allow the throttle to jamb. Not the best when overtaking someone! :eek: The new ones are black and far more durable. They should be installed with a sleeve (a separate part) to prevent collapse of the ball. During installation, moly grease should be used on the face of the ball that contacts the cup (or socket) in the mounting plate. It shouldn't be dry like the one above.

Note that this is a pic of Blue Flame's engine which is on LPG, hence the missing injector pipe. Personally I'd have capped the tops of all the injectors, so they could be saved if converted back to petrol. I might still cap them, just to neaten things up.

BTW I've always found MB throttle springs to be far too strong and therefore the car feels reluctant to accelerate. I've always wondered if they'd be better with a weaker spring/s....