Upgrade your 6.9's braking capacity?!

More threads by SELfor50

SELfor50

John S

While zinc plating should stop rusting on the disc, I have real difficulty in believing that zinc plating would be there after the first couple of hard breaking situations, or even for a week of normal use in traffic. Has anyone ever tried zinc plated discs?

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

While zinc plating should stop rusting on the disc, I have real difficulty in believing that zinc plating would be there after the first couple of hard breaking situations, or even for a week of normal use in traffic. Has anyone ever tried zinc plated discs?

Wouldn't the decreased braking temperatures from the venting actually slow the rate of wear as well? Of course, i'd imagine the zinc plating would wear off eventually. But all that aside the venting / slotting etc would no doubt increase the effectiveness and life of the rotors.. I think?. :confused:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys, it would take someone more qualified than I am to comment on the pros and cons of fitting these disc rotors compared with standard or aftermarket items or, indeed, the locally manufactured ones.

There is no question that slotted or otherwise modified discs would have to constitute an improvement over plain units, to say the least. One only has to look at what's being fitted to modern cars nowadays, as well as sportier versions. It then remains to determine the quality of the after market product such as the one shown by the Trinet website - this, obviously, can only be determined by time and usage. Certainly, however, it is worth the while to file the product offered by that Company and perhaps take the plunge when next rotors are in need of replacement. Regards Styria

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Mate, DBA make rotors for 116's. I have the part number written at work somewhere.

The fronts are Hardened & Slotted / Cross drilled. The rear's are just hardened and vented. MB Spares refererred me the part number and said they can be ordered from Repco. Repco quoted me about $250 per end. I think it was just under $500 for the whole car. I'll be doing it in the next month or 2 so will definitely post some pics of them for review...

Cam2.

B

BAR

DBA's part number for the W116 front rotors is 255

They also have them for the W126 which is 262

The W126 brakes are 22mm greater in diameter!

So for my money, get larger rims, get the W126 front rotors and brakes, stick them on the W116 and you have better braking... all too easy. Now the rotors should fit right on without modifications, just haven't seen the brake mounting points on a W126 assembly.

Oversize

Grand Master
957-C1-D57-5167-4341-B8-C3-EB90-CE143-BB3.png

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Sadly Cam is no longer with us

Oversize

Grand Master
Yes I was extremely shocked when it happened. Hopefully we can continue modifying our cars (or restoring them) in his honour.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
I know where to doors and other parts of his Race car are