Is your door difficult to open?

More threads by BAR

B

BAR

I had a 'stick' front passenger door lock and having some time on my hands spent a while inspecting the design and fabrication of the mechanism to see 'what I could see'.

The door handle itself is removed relatively simply. Take off the inner trim [grab handle - arm rest, small chrome plated triangle near the door mirror, door mirror plastic arm, trim at rear of door, chrome surround near door latch and then lift up and off the inner trim], then undo the srew holding the front of the exterior handle and then remove the oval shaped rubber plug at rear of door and undo the two allen key rcrews.

With the handle removed one can easily see a 3-4 mm pin [which can be undone with a blade screwdriver]. Moving this pin towards the handle proivdes a more positive action on the door latch and enables the door to open more easily [as was the case for mine].

Also there's a sping balanced counterweight, which is loose makes a clunking noise as the door is shut.

Tightening both of these makes for an easier opening door latch and reduction in 'tinnieness' when the door is opened and shut. Voila!

Sorry I didn't take pictures to better illustrate my post.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bar, I hate to tell you, but you really made quite a bit additional work for yourself.

To remove the door handle, all that's required is to prise off the little plastic cover which hides the two Allen headed bolts. Undo those, tap the handle towards the front of the car and it can be removed. There is no need to touch any of the interior trim.

I am not knocking your efforts as, in any case, someone else on Topklasse would have advised you similarly. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hi Bar, I hate to tell you, but you really made quite a bit additional work for yourself.

To remove the door handle, all that's required is to prise off the little plastic cover which hides the two Allen headed bolts. Undo those, tap the handle towards the front of the car and it can be removed. There is no need to touch any of the interior trim.

Regards Styria

Don't you love that.....
After all this effort..... :eek:

OP
B

BAR

Ahh so!

Thanks for the easy solution. ALways nice to get the right advice from the pirate.

Fortunately I am not gutted to know the quick method: I had to get the door trim off to remedy a leak in the door lock belows, so no time lost for me on this exercise, but I won't be doing the same in the future.

Styria

The Godfather
Ahh so!

Thanks for the easy solution. ALways nice to get the right advice from the pirate.

Fortunately I am not gutted to know the quick method: I had to get the door trim off to remedy a leak in the door lock belows, so no time lost for me on this exercise, but I won't be doing the same in the future.
Hi Bar, don't worry too much about having to learn - I am still doing so !

Talking of learning and finding out, you just have to tell me why I am the 'pirate' ? I thought that Godfather, as Michel christened me some time ago, was a somewhat more appropriate title or description. :eek: Kindest Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia

Talking of learning and finding out, you just have to tell me why I am the 'pirate' ? I thought that Godfather, as Michel christened me some time ago, was a somewhat more appropriate title or description. :eek: Kindest Regards Styria

Indeed..... Godfather you shall remain...
Pirate :confused:

abl567

Super Moderator
Doesn't a pirate need a parrot?

mmmm, Styria has a parrot...

Parks

im guessing cos you used to have a smoke hangin out the side of your mouth 24/7 ?? :rolleyes: but I could be wrong:D cos didnt pirates have like a pick or something hanging outa their mouths all the time?/:confused:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I'm stopping here....

This is going on a wild tangeant :eek:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I've yet to see a PIRATE with a BUDGERIEGAR but I am willing to believe as it is before 11 AM. Apologies to Lewis Carrol....
Now; the wooden leg. Parks, can you help here? He'll want it upholstered too, you know. :rolleyes:
Regards,
BenzBoy

OP
B

BAR

Pirates have been stereotyped as having a parrot on one shoulder and also having a liking for rum.

It stretches the image, however Styria does occasionally enjoy being accompanied by his bird and at the correct time of day, enjoys his glass of port. There it ends!

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Bar, you're right on all counts. I do indeed take him to various places, such as Service Stations, Parklea Markets and the like.

He particularly likes Parklea where he (she ?) helps me to pack my fruit into plastic bags, but he insists on checking things first - particularly grapes. He's also been known to chirp and whistle, and some people have been totally confused in looking around for the source of the noise.

A great little mate and you should have seen his antics when I came back from Europe.

just35pictures014.jpg

Yep, that's him. Regards Styria

abl567

Super Moderator
Styria, does he/she say "pieces of eight"

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
A great little mate and you should have seen his antics when I came back from Europe.
just35pictures014.jpg
Yep, that's him. Regards Styria

Don't let Sarah Palin anywhere near him....

I know she's a mouse hunter, but you never know :eek: