Mercedes-Benz loses preferred status!!

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
As of yesterday, Mercedes-Benz has lost its preferred status in my household.
Get this scenario; pouring rain and heavy traffic - flat tyre as a result of an unavoidable object on the road - struggle to get spare from under vehicle - nasty sharp edges on release mechanism leave cuts and blood like it was a Saturday night in the Cross - and then, the Dunlop Spacemiser tyre.
Ever driven in heavy traffic and heavy rain with one of those on the front wheel? Steering is compromised, braking is unstable and the ESP works overtime while you crawl along at 50kph avoiding bumps and speed humps that threaten to tear the bloody thing off the car.
Fortunately I was on my way to lunch with a surgeon who was able to carry out repairs to me and provide me with dry clothes. That's not the issue. The problem is the ML was clearly unsafe with the spacesaver on the front - and there was no easy way to swap it to the back.
Order new tyre this morning and witness a spacesaver from a Porsche that had done less than 50 ks yesterday under the same road conditions - the spacesaver was worn to the canvass and the sidewall was torn.
So, is a spacesaver safe? No.
Are punctures rare in the inner-city of Sydney? No. I've had about 4 in the past 3 years.
Hyundai's Sante Fe Highlander is starting to look appealing at the moment - it's got a full spare wheel.
Imagine trying to drive several hundred ks on a spacesaver. Not a good move.
Shame on you Mercedes-Benz. Shame.
Regards,
Brian

Helmet

Connoisseur
I hear you Brian, space saver spares should be banned. I remember driving to QLD in an ML270 CDI when my kids were little, we were packed up to the roof with prams, travel cot, 2 baby seats etc etc. As I was driving along the freeway I had this strange thought. If I was to have a flat tyre now I could put on the spare but have no place to store the flat tyre and rim as they do not fit under the car and we were packed to the roof inside. I would have had to leave it on the side of the road or on my wifes lap :). Since then I fitted roof bars and carry a luggage strap so I can at least store it on the roof .

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Ah yes - where to put the flate tyre and wheel.....at least M-B provides a platic bag to put it in and a plastic sheet to kneel on while you wrestle with it...and bandaids in the first aid box.
When I travel to a country dog show I always take a real spare with me (and straps to lash it on the roof if I need to...) crazy material when you think about it...
I had a flat tyre shortly after buying the car and discovered the jack was missing (no; I did not get a discount on the dealer delivery fee...) so I phoned MBS service and asked what should I do with a flat tyre.( Yes - I was stirring them...) I was advised to change the wheel or phone MB's roadside service. I asked what tools I would use to change the wheel and I was advised to use a jack. When I informed the service manager that the jack was missing he quickly beacame most concerned and sent two mechanics plus a new jack to change the wheel and another car to collect me to take me back to MBS while they repaired the tyre.
I think I enjoyed that.....
Regards,
Brian

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
There is an option of a swingaway full size spare tyre carrier behind the tailgate.

If I recall well, there was one for sale on eBay a few days ago.

Not sure if it is still there!

WGB

Well you'll love BMW - I hear they don't have a spare at all.

My wife has had two flats in the past eight years in her two ML's and both times she was well looked after by M-B care which continues for several years after the warranty runs out for about the same fee as joining the RAC WA.

I am not sure about the 163 but the 164 can take a full sized wheel in the wheel well if you build a small wooden border under the rear floor - I haven't done it myself but it is done by the local agents and I think only needs a length of 2 x 1 timber.

Bill

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Well, it's not brilliant, is it ? If it was some super duper Sports Car, one might understand the reasons for a spacesaver. However, for a large four wheel drive ? Just defies common sense. I can also appreciate Helmet's story - however, even with a roof rack in place, one still has to lift a heavy wheel and tyre onto the roof which, in itself, may not be all that easy either. Nope, I prefer the old style arrangement with a full sized spare inside the boot under the floor or in the wheel well on the side as in the Finnies and 108/109s. Regards Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
MB did make this wheel mount for a short time but advised me against buying it as a $3000 (not $5000) option because it was a design disaster and was taken off the market. It is mounted to the underframe through holes in the bumber bar and must be swung open before opening the rear hatch.
No, Bill, there is no room under a W163 to mount a full spare - although I probably could have a new carrier made to go underneath - but then that would not pass design regs.
Regards,
Brian

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
It is mounted to the underframe through holes in the bumber bar and must be swung open before opening the rear hatch.
Regards,
Brian

All spare wheel carriers of that design need to be swung away before you can open there rear hatch :eek:

WiSeGuYY

Hi ALL ,

It is sad to be in BRIAN's SHOES in heeavy traffic while pouring rain and going to event and suddenly have the unexpected flat tire, geee it is sure not your day proff i feel you, but it happens and to all.
few years back and on a high way i had flat tire on my BEEMER X3 but i had run flat tires so i went to first stop to fix it without the hasstle of changing it , on my service visit they ask me to change it ( was just doing less than 10000 Km ) i was shocked but they said BMW INSTRUCTIONS CAN'T ADVISE REPAIR , THE TIRE WAS GOOD TILL I CHANGE ALL few years later.
So it is not benz only who invent space saver and yes some models don't have a spare like trhe 3 series bmw.i am aware of the idea of not feeling comfortable like helmet face while traveling fully packed in my dream ML but spare wheel is not made for driving around ( just for emergency and for short time) but i agree 4x4 and cross over type of cars must be prepared for harder condition and not acceptable to be stuck in the middle of no where.
Big size like landcruisers , LEXUS and american 4x4 have this matter solved but for driving conditions in cities and smaller street sizes still Mercedes and BMW are the top choice for car lovers.

REGARDS

TAREK

Oversize

Grand Master
In the absence of appropriate regulations, vote with your feet and only buy a car with a full size spare, if you experience regular flat tyres. Hopefully then the manufacturers will get the message and stop this stupid practice; it's called self-regulation. The problem is that most people don't get many blow-outs that rended the car undriveable. Hence there isn't much demand for full size spare wheels and therefore they're usually an over-prized option. If you're planning to use the car for family trips (full loaded with luggage), don't even consider a vehicle that cannot accomodate a full size road wheel in the spare wheel area. This has been a problem for years and it's not unique to MB. The trick is to be prepared and know what you have (or have not) before you get in an emergency situation. It doesn't get much worse than being in that situation (with less than impressed passengers) and spending even more time searching for a non-existent jack.

Personally I won't be carrying a spare in my MBs unless I can't afford to lose time waiting for the RACV tow truck.... I'd rather save fuel and be quicker off the lights!

Last edited:
OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
"Personally I won't be carrying a spare in my MBs unless I can't afford to lose time waiting for the RACV tow truck.... I'd rather save fuel and be quicker off the lights! "
Yes - that's OK around town but late at night on the other side of Parkes loaded with dogs is not the time to be relying on a space-saver or doubtful mobile reception and an equally doubtful NRMA. Under those conditions I always carry a real spare despite the cost to space. The CLK has a real spare, the 450 has a real spare, the Spirit has a real spare, the Phantom has 2 real spares - it's just the "off-road" 4wd that doesn't. Daft!!
Regards,
Brian

Oversize

Grand Master
On a FULL SIZE 4WD I couldn't agree more! :eek:

Des

from the world according to Des (idiots guide to driving)

last time I had a flat on a Mercedes, granted it was on the rear just drove with it flat for about 20k's (I think I clipped a barbed wire fence) was some ungodly groaning from the rear wheel, bent the lip on the wheel but made it.

some previous owner had kindly left the spare wheel but not the wheel wrench to undo the nuts with.

Sounds like Brian needs to revisit Volvo's and see what's what with the wheels on their cars

Des

Funny thing, was talking with a mate today about his Mitsubishi Lancer, few months old, he lives in a rural part of Tasmania and a few weeks ago hit a dead possum on the road and punctured one of his front tyres, had to change it to the space saver in the boot, however it had a label stuck to it that said it wasn't to be used as a front wheel on the car

so he had to get one of the back wheels off the car, put it on the front and put the space saver on the rear, and then not drive over 50k's an hour because of the silly space saver warning label

all I can say is.

what a load of BS

stick to my Volvo with real wheels and tyres on it

Oversize

Grand Master
Thats just bizarre!! By admission the manufacturers are saying they're dangerous (hence the speed limit, or position restrictions), so I simply wouldn't use one. I'd certainly be rethinking my purchase if I'm dragging a stupid space saver around and there's just no room inside to put the largest of the road wheels...

WGB

The CLK has a real spare, the 450 has a real spare, the Spirit has a real spare, the Phantom has 2 real spares - it's just the "off-road" 4wd that doesn't. Daft!!
Regards,
Brian

Yes it is totally daft and given the distances that can be travelled in Australia a usable spare should be mandatory.

My E500 has a full sized spare but not on a standard rim and as the car has staggered tyres it is the same size as the fronts.

Now that I have sold my ML500 and had a very pleasant year with my E500 I keep questioning my wife about why such a small person needs such a large ML 320 CDI but she mutters something about Grandchildren, Dogs and Bushfire risk but I know she really likes eyeballing the Bus drivers:D

Bill

Tony66_au

Space saver spares are a good example of "intended use" oversight, In Europe you wouldn't have to drive far to get a punctured tyre repaired, the roads are generally better etc.

In the US and Australia however this is a different story.

The FIRST thing I check on a new purchase is tyre changing equipment, Jack, brace and condition of the spare, I add 2 cans of Zoosh, a tyre plug kit and if lock nuts are fitted I remove and replace them with standard wheel nuts adding a few spares to the kit and I own a fast inflate compressor juuuust in case.

However in the case of a luxury marque there is no excuse and they should have a tailgate mounted full size spare even though they are badly mounted up high and tyres usually weigh too much for some to remount up high.

Oversize

Grand Master
Sounds like she needs a GL!!!! Personally I'd look at a Lexus with the hydraulic suspension. Although you may have future issues with cells, struts and leaks (hahahaha)! The VWs are probably better value than the Audi 4x4s. I saw a VW the other day and it looked trick! Porsche is too dear. You could try a Range Rover, or a Disco (hopefully without gremlins), which are quite capable off-road along with the Patrols, which are used by the police here. Probably the best value for the dollar would be a Territory and if you're willing to go second-hand look for a turbo.... I think I covered everything!!! :D