Mercedes Benz Limousines

More threads by Tony66_au

Tony66_au

As a former professional Chauffeur (Something I did after burning out in my chosen profession) and then continuing to do so part time for over 20 years I've driven a lot of interesting and some exotic cars along with the boring and very ordinary and in that time my dislike of Stretched cars grew and grew as even the factory examples such as the Cadillac and Lincoln were often "interesting" to drive in left or right hand drive.

Even the Rolls Royce Limo's were ordinary however I do believe that they were not Factory cars so my disappointment was confined to those particular gaudy examples and not to the RR Marque as a whole as my experience with other Rollers was pleasurable.

The one car I saw (At a wedding) and had a look at and a sit in was I believe a factory "600" and I was impressed at the form, design and function of what had to be a car from the 60's.

So id like to gather a bit more information, some pictures and personal experiences of Benz Limo's.

Id also add that i have never seen a W116 limo, did that year miss out or were they making 600's throughout that period in time.

Regards,
Tony

260ebenz

Master
Here you go Tony,

A couple of photos of some beautiful 600 Mercedes!

Gold 600 was on display at the 2010 MBCNSW Concours.

Black 600 was on display at the 2009 MBCCC show & shine.

Blue 600 was on display at the 10-10-10.

Enjoy!

6002010Concours-1.jpg

PB150225-1.jpg

60010-10-10.jpg

Last edited:

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Id also add that i have never seen a W116 limo, did that year miss out or were they making 600's throughout that period in time.

Regards,
Tony[/QUOTE]
There was a stretch version of the 280SEL which was used at airports around the world and for hotels but I don't know if it was a factory job or a Binz modification. MB Spares used to have a couple...maybe John Green could tell us if he still logs on here?
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
Somewhere, on our dearest website, I have seen quite a huge number of pics of Benz Limousines - where on earth I would find them though I just don't know. There were quite a good number of 116 Limos, but I don't know where to find them for all the money in China - Timmy is normally a wizard with this sort of thing - how about it, Timmy ? Are you willing and able ? :D Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
Hi Styria,

The Mercedes photos are photos I have saved onto my computer when I have been to car events or photos I have been sent.

All three of the 600 Mercedes are in my opinion wonderful cars I have seen two of the three 600 in person the black 600 and gold 600 what an experience to see both vehicles in person and all three 600 are part of Motoring prestige and history.

Cheers.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
There was a funeral parlour in the Eastern Suburbs back in the 80s that used a couple of W116s including a streched 280SEL.

W116Stretch.jpg

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
KMH in the US has also built a coupe 600 and a couple of utes out of wrecks but on his site has pictures of the only factory 600 coupe built for the director of mb in the 60's which he based his coupe on and he restored a german 600 hearse before returning to Germany his site is 600grand.com acknowledged on m-100 site as an expert on these cars:D

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Motec6.9, I was under the impression that MB built two of those 600 factory convertibles. One for Dr. Fritz Nallinger, a Director in those days, and I believe that this car is now in the MB Museum. I don't know the whereabouts of the other. The values of those cars would be massive - perhaps even more that a laundalet.

Karl Middlehauve's webpage - it is listed in our Websites and Links section. I am surprised, and perhaps a little disappointed, that not all that many members seem to peruse that section of topklasse. There is some really good information to be found. Regards Styria