The Mercedes-Benz S 320 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY

More threads by Michel

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The Most Frugal S-Class Ever

Stuttgart – From the end of 2008, Mercedes-Benz will be adding to its European range one of the most fuel-efficient and therefore economical luxury saloons around in the form of the new turbo-diesel S 320 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY. Effective detailed modifications and advanced technology have lowered the fuel consumption and CO2 emissions of this revised luxury leader by some ten per cent compared to the current model, which is already very economical. Features of the first BlueEFFICIENCY model in the S-Class range include on-demand power steering, an automatic transmission with standstill decoupling, as well as tyres with reduced rolling resistance. All without compromising the high standards of comfort, performance and driving pleasure in any way.

By releasing the new S 320 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY, Mercedes-Benz is further pursuing its strategy of developing environmentally sound premium models.
image49433_bLarge.jpg
The latest variant of the luxury saloon, which is due to appear in European showrooms from the end of this year, is more fuel-efficient and, as a result, even more economical than the current popular model. With fuel consumption of 7.6 litres per 100 km (a reduction of 0.7 litres) and CO2 emissions of 199 g/km (a reduction of 21 g), the S 320 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY is set to achieve top marks in the luxury class.

Mercedes-Benz has achieved such exemplary economy by incorporating a tailor-made BlueEFFICIENCY package. The package’s key components:
image49435_bLarge.jpg
The power steering’s hydraulic pump that is driven by an electric motor has an on-demand design, meaning that it only builds up pressure when the driver actually turns the steering wheel. This has the effect of reducing energy and fuel consumption when driving for long distances in a straight line – such as on the motorway.
The 7G-TRONIC seven-speed automatic transmission is equipped with standstill decoupling. With this feature, the torque converter interrupts the power flow as soon as the vehicle draws to a stop with the engine running, in much the same way as the clutch on a manual transmission. This eliminates the converter’s hydrodynamic resistance, lessening the load on the engine and lowering fuel consumption. Standstill decoupling has the added benefit of reducing noise and vibration levels when stopped, and enables even smoother idling. The slip-controlled clutch engages the instant the driver releases the brake pedal, allowing the vehicle to move off without the slightest delay.
The S 320 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY rides as standard on 17-inch light-alloy wheels shod with reduced rolling resistance tyres, featuring a special carcass construction.
There has been no change in the V6 powerplant’s superlative output and torque figures of 173 kW and 540 Nm respectively. Thus equipped, the S 320 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY completes the sprint from 0 - 100 km/h in 7.8 seconds
and attains a top speed of 250 km/h.
image49434_bLarge.jpg
The luxury saloon with fuel consumption and emission figures on a par with a medium-size car can be recognised from the outside by the “BlueEFFICIENCY” badge on the front wings. The S 320 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY sees Mercedes-Benz further extend its line-up of models offering enhanced fuel efficiency and environmental compatibility.
image49432_bLarge.jpg
The price for the S 320 CDI BlueEFFICIENCY in Germany is the same as the current S 320 CDI, which is €70,864.50 (incl. VAT). The long-wheelbase version costs €78,718.50 (incl. VAT).
image49431_bLarge.jpg
First Mercedes-Benz S-Class with hybrid drive due out in 2009

The European Autumn sees the unveiling of the first ever Mercedes-Benz passenger car model with a hybrid drive, the S 400 BlueHYBRID, which will come onto the European market in summer 2009. The combination of a V6 petrol engine plus a compact hybrid module will make the S 400 BlueHYBRID the world’s most economical petrol-powered luxury saloon. It burns 7.9 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres (NEDC) with CO2 emissions of 190 g/km.

Mercedes-Benz will also be first to market with the lithium-ion high-voltage battery that is to be fitted in the S 400 BlueHYBRID as standard. The Stuttgart-based manufacturer is thereby making a seminal contribution to the electrification of the car, with the S-Class once again assuming the mantle of technology leader.
image49430_bLarge.jpg

Styria

The Godfather
I have by accidental design bumped this post - looking at various websites, particularly Winding Road, the term 'blue efficiency' keeps on creeping up. Blue this, Blue that, Blue whatever, and to be honest, I have absolutely no idea what it does, how it does it and just exactly what it is. Is it a chip, is it a....whatever ? As I said, I have no idea and would be grateful if someone could explain it. Regards Styria

TJ 450

I've always thought that it was a new age marketing concept and not a particular type of technology per se, rather a combination of technologies with a common goal for increased efficiency... I could well be wrong though.

Tim

116Benz

Theres a few platforms with this, in the US the diesel's are known as BlueTec- essentially urea based additive to clean up emissions plus extra cat converters (diesel ones) that dont rob the engine of torque or kw's like the old days.
BlueEfficency is the petrol versons....essentially using a mix of aerodynamics, less rolling resistance tyres and specific gearing.

Pretty much Benz doing their thing to make the enviroment cleaner....

Styria

The Godfather
Thanks guys, I do think that I now understand - from what it appears, it is a "technical fashion statement" and I should no longer be wondering what all the fuss is about. Just to be pedantic (not unusual for me), we now have Bluetooth friendly features, such as hands free phones in cars etc. etc., or the 'thingy' that you attach to your ear, and it is compatible with your mobile phone......am I on the right track ? I take it that all is "Blue" now. Thanks again. Regards Styria

116Benz

Yeah Styria, whats "green" is blue.