I thought you guys might enjoy seeing some of the cars that took part today:

024DesktopResolution-1.jpg

008DesktopResolution-3.jpg

015DesktopResolution-3.jpg

020DesktopResolution-2.jpg

021DesktopResolution-3.jpg

022DesktopResolution-3.jpg

023DesktopResolution-2.jpg

This white 1985 300D below belongs to a friend of mine who recently bought it...with only 19 000km on the clock

025DesktopResolution.jpg

027DesktopResolution.jpg

028DesktopResolution.jpg

029DesktopResolution.jpg

033DesktopResolution-1.jpg

This 600 below used to belong to me, but I sold it a few months ago to the present owner, who finished the restoration by getting the car re-sprayed, the wood veneer done and the interior re-upholstered. I love his choice of champagne exterior and cream interior:

030DesktopResolution-1.jpg

032DesktopResolution-1.jpg

031DesktopResolution.jpg

005DesktopResolution-1.jpg

006DesktopResolution-2.jpg

004DesktopResolution-2.jpg

Des

Velour in a 600, never seen that before!

that 19k W123 is to die for, such a lovely car

Styria

The Godfather
Hi GrantV, A pretty good selection of pics. and cars that you are sharing with us - I really appreciate your input. Tell me, how did you feel when you saw the finished 600 that used to belong to you ? That car is superb, and I really enjoy looking at a 600 in a colour other than black.

If I remember correctly (Des), velour was an option on the M100 chassis models, although I am not certain if the seat pattern is standard, or has been modified. I also really like the black Finnie with its red upholstery. I always recall with fondness the Finnies I have owned (a couple of 220SE's as well as a 300SEL) and the last named, in particular, was a paragon of reliability and versatility. Huge boot, self levelling, an absolut cracker for a family man with three boys with Motor Bikes and all the paraphernalia that comes with it.

Thanks again, Grant - BTW, was our friend S-Class in attendance ? Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Waht stunning pics GrantV.

Love the 600, and yes velour does do well.... as does the champagne colour...

SELfor50

That 600 would be worth a mint!! Very very good restoration.

Nice pics of the entrants.

So... do they chuck them on the hoist to go over the entire car for the concourse???

s class

Sorry I missed you there Grant - I was up to my ears in work - salary paying work, not cars... :(

OP
grant v

grant v

I though I'd see you there Ryan, but I understand the work thing.

Styria, to answer your question, I was absolutely knocked out when I saw the car. I saw it for the first time two weeks prior to the concourse and I could not believe that it was the same car. It was finished in only three months and every bit of wood (and there's a lot of it on this 600) has been re-veneered, as well as each bit of chrome being re-chromed. I have no seller's remorse and it's hugely satisfying to see that this car went to the right owner who was prepared to throw the required money at it. I would have taken the car back to the original black exterior with mushroom interior and when the new owner told me that he had changed the colour combination, I thought that he was really going to screw the car up. But when I saw the car, I was astonished at what a great job he had done and what a great colour combination it was. That certainly shakes my belief about keeping cars in their original colours.

This particular car originally had leather up front, but velour in the rear. The front door panels were leather, and the rear door panels were a combination of leather and velour. The seat pattern is like the original in the rear, but I can't vouch for the front seat pattern.

The concourse is divided into two categories: Tops Only and Prix D'tat. In the Tops Only category, cars are judged on the interior and exterior appearance, as well as the boot. The engine is not inspected, nor the underside of the car. In the Prix D'tat, the entire car is scrutinised for cleanliness and originality - way too much bloody effort for my liking. Only a handfull of members seem to participate in this event and it's, unfortunately with only a few exceptions, the same cars every year.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
I have accidentally come across this thread that was submitted by our South African member back in 2008. Sadly, we haven't heard from Grant V for quite a long time. There are a couple of cars that hold my interest - obviously the 600 with its changed exterior, and Grant quite correctly indicates that a car need not always be original in colour and upholstery, both inside and out.

The other car to attract my curiosity is of course the 280 - W116 with its non-electric windows, as well as the door pocket and the different upholstery treatment of the front door trim. In appearance it is very much like the earlier 108/109 door trim design. Exterior colour - also quite unusual. Regards Styria

260ebenz

Master
I have to say what a beautiful collection of Mercedes featured in the photos truly magnificient!

Cheers.

Styria

The Godfather
I have to say what a beautiful collection of Mercedes featured in the photos truly magnificient!

Cheers.

Hi "Slim Tim", I couldn't agree more. When I look at these cars, it makes me realize that my work can be sadly lacking on a number of fronts. Money, money, money, it does speak all languages, doesn't it ? When I come back again, I am going to be a millionaire ! :D

260ebenz

Master
Hi "Slim Tim", I couldn't agree more. When I look at these cars, it makes me realize that my work can be sadly lacking on a number of fronts. Money, money, money, it does speak all languages, doesn't it ? When I come back again, I am going to be a millionaire ! :D

Yes Styria that's me alright "Slim Tim", 106.1kgs is my weight now as of today!

Anyhow back to the topic at hand.

As for money speaking all languages not for this young bloke maybe when I am older perhaps?

None the less I am a happy chap with my Mercedes.

It really is great to see such a wonderful collection of Silver Stars on display!

Cheers.
:D

WiSeGuYY

what a collection , a dream of each mercedes lover , and GRANT you said it is insane to collect cars?? what you call disposal of a 600 by selling?? you can't sell a 600 unless you have another.

REGARDS

TAREK