690SE - Engine Transplant

More threads by SELfor50

oscar

I forgot my report.....

As has been established now I went to Canberra on Thursday to pick up the spare 6.9 engine, not the one in the pictures, Cam's other one. Was a bit rushed to load one engine before MBSpares closed then load the other spare for home.

Bu twe got a chance to go for a spin in the 690SE. It started to rain too so although we got a couple of test runs in I didn't really get a chance to film much or do any 0-100's. It's an 800km round about trip for me so time was short and the rain kind of killed any chances of trying to go drifting around Federal Parliament. :D
However, the car feels amazing. This was my first drive of a 6.9 let alone a SWB 6.9 and dare I say the newest m100 in the world ;) . Engine's smooth as Cam has stated. No stutter or hessitation throughout the rev range. Scared the bejesus out of me when the rear lost traction whilst already in 2nd gear. To me the exhaust sounds awsome with the sound of a large V8 at idle that's louder on acceleration plus the crackle and pop on the overrun. I have to stress none of it seemed deafening. I took note from inside and outside during a drive-by. A rap for the exhaust system rather than engine I suppose but it's nothing like some exhausts that have people in the street frown at for being too loud.

Suspension was fantastic too I might add. All round conventional with billies, (forget exact details), it's firm and responsive without any jarring. Felt in every way like a quality modern car and so positive when turning the steering wheel. It went where I wanted it to go without offering any resistance and without being overly helpful. It was tight in a good way, one hand steerable and no slop. My 10yo was in the back the whole time and three of us giggled like men :) It was great fun.
My son said, "Dad, you have to buy a 6.9".
"Maaaate, what do you think we just put in to the trailer?".
"Cool!" he shouted. All I could think is that he'll be in his late twenties before he gets a chance to drive it. It'll probably take long to get it finished too.

Last edited:

Lukas

Well, all I can say is congrats on what has rapidly become a very nice 116.

I like the gearbox tests too.:D

Think I'll leave the "hoon" end of the Canberra 6.9 spectrum to you - I'll be the "luxo-barge" end and BB can be the "as it was from the factory" end.

abl567

Super Moderator
bb, you are heading in the right direction by joining the M-100 group, the answers you seek can be found there:D
PM replied to;)

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Thanks Lukas, will have to catch up later in the week after the paint job.. And you can take the ol' girl for a spin. ;)

bb, all I can say is - suspension conversion! ;) You'll never look back...
The other thing is, they're the type of car that need the occasional Italian Tuneup. :D Maybe you should take the brown beast for a blast down the clyde?

Good call Ant, been contemplating joining the M100 group. How much does it cost?

Cam.

TJ 450

The Owner's Manual even states that you should do an "Italian Tuneup" on the odd occasion. ;)

Tim

-bb-

Noble
bb, all I can say is - suspension conversion! ;) You'll never look back...
The other thing is, they're the type of car that need the occasional Italian Tuneup. :D Maybe you should take the brown beast for a blast down the clyde?

Good call Ant, been contemplating joining the M100 group. How much does it cost?

Would love to see your beast in the metal myself in due course...

Couldnt convert the suspension mate; it would destroy part of what a 6.9 is. I have come to accept that suspension issues are part of 6.9 ownership and will either live with them or not own the car. In other words, I couldnt see a good 6.9 be converted to springs/shocks. On the upside, it's much better now than when I bought it, so I am on the right track.

Dont worry, it's getting an 'Italian Tuneup' on the weekend... up to Sydney via Bungendore. Can't help the lead foot between Bungendore and Goulburn.

Joining the M-100 club is $70/year or $130/2 years. Send ya bucks to Anthony and he will organise it. Sent mine today.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Sounds good mate, if you're gonna be around braddon at all over the next 5 days give me a shout. I'll be around there cruising a bit.

Understand about the suspension, but for me - if I was to get a 6.9 first thing i'd do would be to gut the suspension. I know it's part of the 6.9 experience, but for me it's about self preservation. I'm a fan of fixing a car to remove any component that's not up to the challenges of a 30yr old motor car. After how many stories I hear about valves this, spheres that.. $$$ The main reason I was happy to pay the price I did for the 690SE was purely cause it had no air suspension. The hard part was already done.

Have fun on the italian tune-up! ;)

Will scope the M100 club thing.. Will get there eventually. You reckon they'd offer a scholarship based on my new Engine number? :D

Thanks Parks, appreciate it. Might have to speak about some type of interior make-over in the next 12months.

Just back on the suspension, I have a brand new suspension pump left over (that came off the new engine). This thing is shiny as, and I'm sure someone would be happy with it. I have no idea what they are worth, but if it can be of use to someone, let me know.

Cam.

Lukas

The Owner's Manual even states that you should do an "Italian Tuneup" on the odd occasion. ;)

Tim

I didn't know that - will the police accept that as a legitimate reason ("the manufacturer's vehicle operating instructions told me to")? :rolleyes:

BB: if it makes you feel any better, the previously well-behaved blue car was down at the front recently, and a little puddle of "that doesn't look like oil" on the garage floor.

-bb-

Noble
BB: if it makes you feel any better, the previously well-behaved blue car was down at the front recently, and a little puddle of "that doesn't look like oil" on the garage floor.

Been there done that. You ain't living till you have that happening in both the front and back at the same time ;):D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I didn't know that - will the police accept that as a legitimate reason ("the manufacturer's vehicle operating instructions told me to")? :rolleyes:

The Italian tune-up referred in the manual was about German delivered cars sent to the MB dealership in Torino where they were tuned for Italian driving....:D

Styria

The Godfather

What is an Italian tune-up for a 6.9 ? I have never felt or deemed it to be necessary, nor have I seen any reference in the Owners' Instruction Manual - anyway, I am sure someone or other will be able to enlighten me.

This is one thing I have always admired about a well adjusted and tuned 6.9 - there is no need for that Italian job - come to think of it, drive for three or four hours on country roads at at between 100-140, and you arrive at your destination quite fresh, and the engine idling just nicely and without fuss at about 650 rpm. Brilliant, that's all I can say. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
An Italian tune-up is what you did a few years ago when you blasted past everyone else on the Hume and nearly ran down the Highway Patrol Office on his motorbike!! :D:D:D
I have no doubts that you know what an ITU really is...:p
Regards,
Benz-Boy

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Personaly i cant wait after 4 years to do itu myself:D

TJ 450

Under "Electrical System"...

"Spark Plugs

In order to ensure smooth engine running, the spark plugs must not be fouled.

To "clear" fitted plugs from time to time, operate the engine under load conditions and at a high RPM number in the lower gears - as on gradients."

I agree though, that the 6.9L M-100 is a very unfussy engine.

Tim

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Tim, thanks for guiding me in the right direction. I guess the reason why I never picked this up is probably because I've hardly ever had to deal with an engine that may have been cranky on account of fouled plugs. It does happen more so with 6.3s, but the problem associated with that engine and plugs is caused more so by a malfunctioning Injector Pump running too rich. Naturally, if you're operating under those conditions, plugs will become very faulty, and quickly so. In addition, those mechanical pumps can overfill with oil, and when you get an 'oily' petrol mixture, it's an unsatisfactory situation on a number of fronts.

Mind you, an Italian "tune up" as a rule, is not as successful as one might be led to believe - certainly not with 6.3s.- new, and hotter plugs, provide a part solution. The other is to get the pump overhauled. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Styria - an Italian Tune Up comes from the days of high revving small capcity Italian motors as fitted to Alfa Romeo and Lancia in the 1960s - and of course, advised by Maserati and Ferrair simply because it is fun and benefits the motor. You might recall that Alfa used to fit Marelli Golden Lodge pugs with 4 electrodes to try to get around the issues?
Audi also advised it for their turbo charged 5 cylinder motors.
Why? Well simply when a motor is used at low speed, and usually with a rich mixture, such as driving in and out of the garage but does not reach full operating temperature then the plugs become fouled with a carbon/water/condensed fuel mix that will cause a misfire until it is burnt off by a sharp run through the gears at full operating temperature. Remember how the tail pipe of a leaded car would turn black from using the choke and then a nice silver colour after a few miles at higher speed?
You still see a similar phenomenon today on the freeways when a drive activates fulkl throttle to pass another car and several months of acculumated carbon deposits are removed in a plume of black smoke? It is a healthy thing to do for your motor and for your exhaust system -and fun. :D
It is usually not required with computer controlled combustion as the period of running rich is better controlled and much shorter.
Regards,
Benz-Boy

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Spent the day stripping the beast out prepping for the track.

The dash / heater box / heater fan and other miscellaneous dash stuff - weighs a ####ing tonne.

Starting weight was right 1900kgs or so.

Target weight is 1500kgs.

I reckon at the moment, I'm probably at about 1700kgs or so at the moment. Still a whole bunch to go...plus 20kegs on the driver.

Picture018.jpg
Picture017.jpg
Picture016.jpg
Picture015.jpg
Picture014.jpg
Picture013.jpg
Picture012.jpg
Picture011.jpg
Picture010.jpg
Picture009.jpg
Picture008.jpg
Picture007.jpg