Engine Ideas for a W114

More threads by Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Hi all,

Haven't posted much lately (shock horror), though I have been lurking a bit.

Anyway, at the risk of being run off the forum :eek:, I'm suddenly a bit bored and I've been toying with engine conversion ideas for that old yellow W114 280 some of you might remember I got as a freebie a couple years ago.

What I like about these W114/W115 types is they are remarkably simple for an MB car. I pulled the seats and carpets etc out so I could do some work on the whole floor and it literally took less than 10 minutes.

Yet ironically, I can't help but feel like putting a more modern engine under the hood. Sort of an old school car that runs more like a newer car. Bit more power, better fuel economy, smoother, that sort of thing. Retro modern.

I know it sounds counter intuitive but it's one old Merc I don't really mind not keeping too original, as I want to have a bit of fun with it and honestly, bringing the carby'd M110 up to scratch could be expensive in it's own right (a Holley conversion comes close to a $1000 last time I checked and EFI adaption like MegaSquirt would be on top of that), probably not that much less than a total engine/tranny swap that I would largely undertake myself.

From what I've read around the traps, non-MB engines (I know, I know) such as the 302 Windsor V8, Nissan RB30 and Toyota 2JZ engines should fit this body type with minimal fabrication work as far as getting the engine bolted in there. Not super keen on the Windsor, because even an EFI version wouldn't exactly be refined or great on fuel. The other two I'm open minded about. I was also thinking about a Barra 182 straight six from a BA Falcon, but the amount of electrics, wiring harness and what not needed just to get the engine to start kind of scares me, plus without a proper measure up I don't know if it would even fit.

As far as MB engines go, perhaps M103 or M104 sixes? M104 with the later model injection system and fancy electronics sounds a bit of a headache in a similar manner to that BA Falcon engine I mentioned though. I'm hoping quite a few MB engines could be interchanged with this body but I'm not terribly familiar with MB engines past the early 80's vintage.

I guess I'd like to try an engine swap with something more modern and efficient, but not so much more modern that it requires an entire car worth of wiring harness just to work :eek: In a nutshell I'd like an engine that makes this car go at least as well or better than the old M110, but better in most other ways.

Keen on any ideas anyway! It's just brainstorming at this point, nothing has happened yet besides me working on the interior. But the engine and drivetrain would be next and I have a hankering to do something different (have mercy :p )

Last edited:
OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

M116 380 ?
Not a bad suggestion. V8, efficient enough for what it is and KE-Jetronic.

I guess if I went that route I'd want to make sure it's not the early ones with the timing chain troubles (though by now they should all be replaced with the double row... one would hope).

Any reason then not to also consider a M116 420?

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
have you thought of a simple Holden V6 with an automatic.

You can buy an Ecotec V6 for under $500 complete.

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

have you thought of a simple Holden V6 with an automatic.

You can buy an Ecotec V6 for under $500 complete.
I thought about it, but thought my thinking was already sacrilegious enough :eek::D Then again, it can't be worse than putting a Rice Burner in a Merc.

I didn't realise those Holden V6s were so cheap though... like any foreign engine potentially going in the Benz though, I'd have to find one and do some measuring to make sure it would actually fit, unless someone has already done such a conversion and says it will.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I thought about it, but thought my thinking was already sacrilegious enough :eek::D Then again, it can't be worse than putting a Rice Burner in a Merc.

I didn't realise those Holden V6s were so cheap though... like any foreign engine potentially going in the Benz though, I'd have to find one and do some measuring to make sure it would actually fit, unless someone has already done such a conversion and says it will.

it is a reasonable small set up as it is a V6, while all Fords are in-line sixes.
Can't give you much info on measurements, but I'm sure if you googled Holden V6 conversion in Benz or something like that you might find someone who might have done it.

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Seen at Mercedes Concourse in Canberra made by Mb Spares 280CE 5.0

Attachments

• DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    391.1 KB · Views: 4

260ebenz

Master
Their was the white manual 280E, 280CE 5.0 and the 300CE AMG at the Concourse.

280E also has the rare manual gearbox well it is rare to see a manual W123 in Australia.

The 280E will be used as a Rally Car hence the roll cage.

Attachments

• 20150927_103527.jpg
    20150927_103527.jpg
    543.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20150927_103533.jpg
    20150927_103533.jpg
    340.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20150927_103625.jpg
    20150927_103625.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 20150927_103619.jpg
    20150927_103619.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 7

c107

and 111/116/124/126
An M103 could also be an interesting choice for a nice daily driver.
You can get a whole W124 with engine for next to nothing these days so you would have everything for the transplant.

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

Their was the white manual 280E, 280CE 5.0 and the 300CE AMG at the Concourse.

280E also has the rare manual gearbox well it is rare to see a manual W123 in Australia.

The 280E will be used as a Rally Car hence the roll cage.

Nice pics, Tim, and interesting to read the sign on the 280CE 5.0 and it's AMG-inspired roots. Not sure just how much lighter a 280CE W123 is than a 500SEL but it must be a fun thing to drive.

An M103 could also be an interesting choice for a nice daily driver.
You can get a whole W124 with engine for next to nothing these days so you would have everything for the transplant.

The M103 is an interesting engine. On paper, even the 3.0L M103 doesn't make much more power than the older M110 engine (the full power injected M110 of course, not the carby M110 in this W114 of mine). The 2.6L less so again.

Yet, I've driven a W124 260E and it felt like it pulled quite stronger than any M110 powered cars I've driven :confused: Just the result of a lighter body with updated fuel system and gearbox perhaps?

Styria

The Godfather
....then again Andrew, why not just buy a larger engine Mercedes in the first place ? As C107 quite correctly points out, there are plenty of 124s and other models for that matter, that can be bought for next to nothing. That option doesn't appeal ? Think about it. BTW, always nice to welcome you back. Regards Styria

OP
Andrew280SEL

Andrew280SEL

....then again Andrew, why not just buy a larger engine Mercedes in the first place ? As C107 quite correctly points out, there are plenty of 124s and other models for that matter, that can be bought for next to nothing. That option doesn't appeal ? Think about it. BTW, always nice to welcome you back. Regards Styria
Thanks Styria!

I have thought about it and to be honest at some point I probably would like a nice W124 or W126 of my own.

I suppose at the moment though, I'd feel guilty buying yet another car, at least before doing something with this old girl. I would at least like to get it to a nice roadworthy state and make something out of it.

However... regardless of what I do with the engine idea, any engine related stuff for this car is now on hold. Since totally stripping the interior of the old thing I discovered many bits of carpets/materials holding moisture and several badly rusted spots in the floor pans :mad: One area, I took a wire brush (spinning drill wire wheel) to it and even with a light application it went straight through :eek:

Goes to show how much can hide in these old cars unless you go looking and stripping everything out. So now I'm looking at cutting out entire areas of floor pan and getting new sheets of metal welded in.

Either that or tear out the M110 and gearbox and scrap the body, but the car itself is pretty straight and not beyond redemption... from what I've seen, unless there's rust hiding elsewhere.

EDIT: from that point of view, considering the extra work I'd have to do on this car now, I probably would leave the stock engine in there. Food for thought anyway.

Styria

The Godfather
....looks like the ship has changed course - straight into a howling southerly. That old friend of ours - rust - has come to the fore again. Sad about the holes in the floor. Keep us posted. Regards Styria