Need a M110 engine!

More threads by Trippstick

Trippstick

Hi People,

I bought a beutiful 280 and believe it or not the bulletproof engine is seized and cannot come back to life. I found this out on Saturday morning and ruined my whole weekend as I bought it as a project car it now cannot run at all :( so what I need is an M110.990 (or M110.986 from May 1978 onwards) 185hp engine if anybody has one for sale? refurbished would be great but not necessary so long as it comes with a guarantee that it is in running condition and perfect compression in all cylinders.

It sucks because my car has done hardly any kms but someone obviously didnt realise what happend, they have poured a faeces load of oil in her hoping it would fix the problem and now you cant even wind her over manually because its seized that bad.

Back to my point, please help me out here, I am on the Gold Coast in Qld and if someone has one would be amazing and if you have the tools and know how to switch them over then I will pay you $$$ to do so.

Also the number on the side of my engine reads: R110 016 19 01 does this mean anything to anyone?

Thank you kindly in advanced!

Last edited:

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
Ever thought about an all alloy M117 5 or 5.6 litre V8 out of a W126?
The weight over the front wheels would not be all that much different.

It would mean a complete drivetrain replacement to handle the extra torque, and some serious re engineering to install it all, but it could all come out of the same W126.

The result would be a very pleasing vehicle to drive. One of the downsides is that it would no longer be an original vehicle, but try telling Brabus not to use that approach! Even Porsche made 5 litre W123's for the American market.

It would depend how brave you happen to be, but I believe such a project could turn out very well.

As far as re installing another M110 is concerned, you can still run into some unexpected and difficult problems. For example, different exhaust manifolds were installed on different M110's to suit the model, be it a R107, W114, W116, W123 or W126.

That is why maybe going to the extra pain (and expense), perhaps should be considered.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Seeing that you live on the Gold Coast, I would let my fingers do the walking, and start contacting various wreckers. However, I think that you are now at the stage where you will have to be careful and start doing your sums. You are likely to reach the initial stage of over capitalising. From what I have seen, the interior is not pristine,, thus you will need to spend money on that in due course as well.

To purchase a decent engine (if you can find one), decent dollars will be asked for by most suppliers. You then have the additional expense of installation and to get it running, and again you will be looking at a decent outlay. So take all that into consideration. You may have to re-visit the mechanic whose details you got from Sean Sherry, and obtain his opinion. You could also contact Ron Bunting for advice - our CraigS has his contact details. Yes, start with him - he's hands on. Regards. Styria

N.B. ......hmm....lots of "decents".....well, I am not perfect.

Last edited:
OP
T

Trippstick

Ever thought about an all alloy M117 5 or 5.6 litre V8 out of a W126?
The weight over the front wheels would not be all that much different.

It would mean a complete drivetrain replacement to handle the extra torque, and some serious re engineering to install it all, but it could all come out of the same W126.

The result would be a very pleasing vehicle to drive. One of the downsides is that it would no longer be an original vehicle, but try telling Brabus not to use that approach! Even Porsche made 5 litre W123's for the American market.

It would depend how brave you happen to be, but I believe such a project could turn out very well.

As far as re installing another M110 is concerned, you can still run into some unexpected and difficult problems. For example, different exhaust manifolds were installed on different M110's to suit the model, be it a R107, W114, W116, W123 or W126.

That is why maybe going to the extra pain (and expense), perhaps should be considered.

Thanks for the advice, It does cross my mind often to put another more powerfull engine in her however I would honestly like to keep it original for now. I think paying extra for that more powerful engine would probably only decrease her sales value in the long run rather than add to it.

But what you say is correct, I also have no way of knowing what the gear box is like, drive train, joints or anything really as she has never been driven since I've owned her.

OP
T

Trippstick

Seeing that you live on the Gold Coast, I would let my fingers do the walking, and start contacting various wreckers. However, I think that you are now at the stage where you will have to be careful and start doing your sums. You are likely to reach the initial stage of over capitalising. From what I have seen, the interior is not pristine,, thus you will need to spend money on that in due course as well.

To purchase a decent engine (if you can find one), decent dollars will be asked for by most suppliers. You then have the additional expense of installation and to get it running, and again you will be looking at a decent outlay. So take all that into consideration. You may have to re-visit the mechanic whose details you got from Sean Sherry, and obtain his opinion. You could also contact Ron Bunting for advice - our CraigS has his contact details. Yes, start with him - he's hands on. Regards. Styria

N.B. ......hmm....lots of "descents".....well, I am not perfect.

Hi Styria,

Thank you for the advice once again, yes I am well aware of the expenses (unfortunately), however I believe once I get her done up to showroom condition she should be worth a lot more than I have put into her (hopefully) or I will atleast break even which I would still be fine with in all seriousness.

I am contemplating just selling her and starting again on another merc that is at least running, as I mentioned I am on a time limit and want an old cruiser to come of the road trip with my partner and I to the snow this year.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I am of the opinion that one makes a loss with each car - very rarely a profit unless you keep the car for a long time or it is particularly rare etc. If you want to go on a road trip to the snow you will need to do it quickly - perhaps move on to a different car and come back to this one when you have more time to do the job slowly and accurately?
Regards,
Brian

sean sherry

Master
For my money, I would not even think about using an engine that was not like for like. Way too many variations of the theme ! Given that you don't know what else is wrong, I would not be sentimental and start again with a car that runs and can be accessed professionally......Sean

Helmet

Connoisseur
For my money, I would not even think about using an engine that was not like for like. Way too many variations of the theme ! Given that you don't know what else is wrong, I would not be sentimental and start again with a car that runs and can be accessed professionally......Sean

Good advice, maybe time for a funeral Trip

Oversize

Grand Master
Unfortunately it is very easy to overcapitalize on these cars. They can be cheap to get into, but repairs can cost far more than the purchase price. If you're worried about resale values, then I'd suggest you look at a different type of vehicle.

That said, a W116 is one hell of a lot of car for the money, if you can get one that's not full of rust (common) and doesn't have a terminal heart condition (rare).

If you feel daunted by replacing the engine, I'd suggest you store this one under cover until you feel more confident and buy one that doesn't need so much work. That would then give you time to find an appropriate donor vehicle, or replacement engine, do some research and buy the required tools. Another option is to use it for parts (much cheaper than buying individual parts from a MB wrecker), or if you can't bring yourself to pull it apart, sell it complete to someone who has the skills to bring her back from the brink

Last edited:
OP
T

Trippstick

Thank you everyone for your messages and time to reply.

Sounds like everyone is leaning towards the option of selling her and starting again with something that is not so ran down.

I will have a good think about it this week (I already have someone coming out today to repair majority of the rust (all the bad stuff involving cutting out and welding) which will probably make it a lot more appealing to someone who wants a project car who can then just swap the engine then its all just cosmetic work.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thank you everyone for your messages and time to reply.

Sounds like everyone is leaning towards the option of selling her and starting again with something that is not so ran down.

I will have a good think about it this week (I already have someone coming out today to repair majority of the rust (all the bad stuff involving cutting out and welding) which will probably make it a lot more appealing to someone who wants a project car who can then just swap the engine then its all just cosmetic work.

Would you care to share how much you paid for it and how much is the rust going to cost you?
We might collectively be able to give you some advice on whether you might even cut your losses and start afresh.

OP
T

Trippstick

Would you care to share how much you paid for it and how much is the rust going to cost you?
We might collectively be able to give you some advice on whether you might even cut your losses and start afresh.

Hi Michel,

The car cost me $3,500 as she is. The rust is costing me about $900 for Luke the rust man to fix (he started yesterday, finished just about everything apart from the bad rust behind the rear window - does anyone know how to take the rear window out?) it will probably cost about 3-4k for a repaint in her origional colour, roughly 800 for the front seats to be re-trimmed (only the front as the rear seat is in perfect condition) say about 1,000 for odd fix ups here and there for the interior, then say $800 for some new tyres on the Penta mags. that's probably all the major things to get her looking nice and body in good as new shape.

Then there is the mechanical side of things where I want to re do as much as I can including brake and fuel lines (for peace of mind), new brake discs and pads, ball joints, bushes, re-grease anything I can get my hands on, new fuel pump relay (as she has been cross wired as I'm assuming the relay broke) new engine installation and some new gaskets, filters, oil, everything that is replaceable (Already have new Bosch plugs and leads) I am guessing all this will cost me about 2-3k

So that's my plan anyway, will be interesting to hear all your opinions on if she will be worth it, I think so, but that's just my opinion.

Oversize

Grand Master
Add that all up and I think you'll get a shock! I'd suggest you'll be spending more than what it'd cost for a good (running) replacement. Does the car have books and a history? If so, that will add value to your car (along with the Pentas)!

If you're looking for a project; fair enough it'll be a great learning experience. However it sounds like you're on a tight timeframe which can ruin the experience for some.

Sounds like you've already committed to this one and it'll be good to see it saved. BTW there's lots of M110s down here if you know where to look...

OP
T

Trippstick

Add that all up and I think you'll get a shock! I'd suggest you'll be spending more than what it'd cost for a good (running) replacement. Does the car have books and a history? If so, that will add value to your car (along with the Pentas)!

If you're looking for a project; fair enough it'll be a great learning experience. However it sounds like you're on a tight timeframe which can ruin the experience for some.

Sounds like you've already committed to this one and it'll be good to see it saved. BTW there's lots of M110s down here if you know where to look...

Thanks Oversize,

well I just finished getting a lot of the rust cut out and fixed and soon as I can figure out how to get the rear window out then Luke the rust guy can fix the last of it :) so then really all it will need on the exterior is a slap of paint, fix up or atleast just re-install the interior and then I will only have the engine to deal with, I am still spending a bit of time on the engine but I really need to just deal with it by putting it aside whilst I fix up the rest of the car and get her looking brand new for a start.

Does anyone know where to get good leather seat covers to be re-stitched onto these 280, 350, 450 SLC's?

sean sherry

Master
There are two 110 engines from 280 SLCs in Sydney. One has K Jetronic and the other D Jetronic. Both said to be in good condition. $950 each , one has the Automatic attached for + $250 if needed. Freight to Q/land about $125 ...... Call John on... 02 9790 1126. ......MB Classic Star . Make your own enquiries and confirm the correct engine type and condition. ... Sean

Styria

The Godfather
Good detective work, Sean. Those prices are more than reasonable - as long as the units are in good condition. One would need some sort of a fair dinkum warranty prior to installation. It Will indeed be interesting, as well, if the original starter of the thread is going to respond to the good work you have carried out. Well done, Sean. Regards. Styria

Last edited:

mrkozzy

Never finished
Is this what you mean by rear window rust?

m2ij.jpg

I posted an article in this forum 4th October 2011 titled "Rear windscreen glass removal - Any tips?"

Getting the window out was easy........call the windscreen guys! ($80 at the time)
It's not worth risking the breakage by doing it on your own.

Also get yourself a new rear window rubber seal, .....no way you'll get the old one back in.

Last edited:

mrkozzy

Never finished
TRIPPSTICK........Condensing your article you say;

The car cost me $3,500 as she is.
the rust is costing me about $900
probably cost about 3-4k for a repaint
roughly 800 for the front seats to be re-trimmed
about 1,000 for odd fix ups here and there
say $800 for some new tyres on the Penta mags.

Then there is the mechanical side of things
am guessing all this will cost me about 2-3k

going by your own figures above.........so far you are committing

$14000.oo!.. hmmmmmm

Last edited: