6.9 that's had too much money spent on it

More threads by BAR

WGB

You can never spend too much money on a 6.9 just don't expect to get it all back again.

"Totally unmolested original" does not sit comfortably with "$25,000 spent on it and all the work done".

Still looks like a great car if it is as good as it presents.

Bill

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
That's the one Styria and parks worked on.

it's meant to be not a bad car..

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Yes, for just a whisker under $25,000 one can buy a Corolla demonstrater...
I can guarantee Miss Olga would make the right choice if asked to choose between a while Corolla and Milan Brown 6.9. In fact there is no choice!!!
I understand the 6.9 is in very good condition and probably worth the money.
Regards,
BenzBoy

HansKruger

yes they were used in Germany maybe elsewhere on ambulances fir the extra load.

Also the 15" style from the 600

Styria

The Godfather
Hi everyone, it is indeed a car that we've had an involvement with. You only need to look at the precise fitting of the driver's seat - I am talking about the neat fit (without creases) of the side panel.

This car would never come up for sale if it weren't for the present economic conditions. We've not seen the car for about two years at least but I know that it has been well looked after. The owner is quite fastidious.

It's easy to state that "a 6.9 has had too much money spent on it". That may well be so, but in the long run it is up to the owner of the car to decide on the standard and extent of preparation and restoration he/she is looking and prepared to pay for.For instance, the man did not have to purchase the 15" Bundts, but for the real enthusiast, those and the appropriate AMG rims are the only ones to fit to a car like this....and they don't come cheaply !

How much for a complete interior - there was not a great deal wrong with the original tobacco coloured cloth seats, except it was "very dark" and frankly not that attractive. The owner wanted leather, and we changed the whole interior to mahogany - it's just a matter of looking at the pics. and see the choice of colour - in my view, quite magnificent.

BTW WGB, the alternator is an original 6.9 unit, but the steering wheel (as you quite rightly point out), is off a 126 - it was almost new, and obtained at a fair price. It was meant to serve as a 'stop gap' measure pending purchase of a more correct and/or desirable wood/leather unit. You're looking at an extra, say, $800.00 and yes, you'd never get that back when selling the car.

So, let's not be too hard on the owner and the car - believe me, it is in extraordinary condition and would not be on the market under normal circumstances. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
B

BAR

Sometimes herr ober, you take my words too seriously.

I was simply referring to the fact that the asking price is equivalent to the cost of rejuvenations.

As u know I am partial to the Milan Brown colour, having owned two Benz's in this colour. At least it is more individual than the plebicite silver, which is the default colour option if one can't make up their mind on an alernative.

It would of course be an excellent buy, if only a trifle on the high side, but what the heck, it's in great condition.

Parks

Not because we have done work on it but its one of the best 6.9s to come onto the market in the last few years, worth every cent, its had a good life, its never had any rust, if i had the money i would buy it...,,regards Brent

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Not because we have done work on it but its one of the best 6.9s to come onto the market in the last few years, worth every cent, its had a good life, its never had any rust, if i had the money i would buy it...,,regards Brent

Well said Brent....;)

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
And should we be talking doen the price of W116s when we know and understand their quality and value?
Regards,
BenzBoy

Indeed....

All we need to do is look at prices in Europe....
Makes this Milan Brown 6.9 look cheap.... (it is very good value for money)

Styria

The Godfather
Michel, unfortunately, this is Australia and not Europe, and RHD vs. LHD - and as you would be well aware, it does make a difference. However, it would not surprise me if, in due course, an Aussie car could find customers in Europe ?

In Germany and Austria, they have the change of tax system applying to cars older than thirty years, and $A25,000 equates to only about 11k. Euros - a bargain by their pricing and one won't find many better cars than David's on car point.

Also, let's cast our minds back to the Silver Green 6.9 that went to Brisbane (I believe) for $17k. - I knew both cars intimately and no comparison condition wise between the two - believe me.

Yes BenzBoy, I tend to agree with you - I always prefer to think along the lines of ' a lot of money' rather than 'too much' -as I said, it is an owner's choice and it also happens that somewhere along the line, you get to the point 'of no return' - restorations can fall into that category. After all, one is trying to restore a vehicle that would be priced at about $A300k. in today's money. Spending $25k. is less than one tenth.

Bar - take no notice of me - just offer your opinions - that's what topklasse is all about. It's all good. Regards Styria

s class

As usual park's leather is of the highest standard.

This car looks like a euro - velour would have been unusual for an aus delivered car?

HansKruger

seems though regardless what it may or may nit be worth there are a lot of cars for sale at the moment just not selling

I had a look on carsales today and for the most of the cars they are the same ones from months ago.

Nothing much is selling. On eBay or the tradingpost

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I wonder how the owner of the 6.9 would feel if he were to read this post? Probably he would have a good chuckle to himself about how easily people become experts on the price of things. Wasn't it Oscar Wilde who said of a cynic - "...a man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing?"
I had a chuckle to myself over the last few days - on another forum of another marque, a new member slammed people who buy cars at auctions - the usual drivel about how auctions are rigged and rip off every one all the time. Some grand generalisations there!! What he failed to tell the forum was that he was the loosing bidder at a certain PII auction and that his final bid was only .008 percent loewr than the winning bid.
So why do I smile? Well, I've had a great day today out Ghost/Phantom driving with friends and he is still trying to find the elusive bargain that may never come his way. Life is too short for such nonsense. :D
Mind you, an afternoon nap is compulsory after flogging first a Continental and then a Torpedo and then a Sedanca De Ville around the back roads of Western Sydney!! Power steering and syncromesh are nice refinements if you have them.....
I also saw a very neat installation of an electric starter motor in a 1910 Ghost as well. A Toyota starter motor mated to the flywheel and instant start. Very neat.
Regards,
BenzBoy