Air conditioning that works too well!

More threads by 6.9forever

6.9forever

Noble
An interesting experience that I would like to share:

My 6.9's air conditioning was refrigerating air so well that condensation was forming on the outside of the condensor box behind the dash. Once the condensation reached a certain thickness it dripped down and wet the carpet in the footwells. Initially I thought there was an inaccessible crack or bad seal in the system but this proved not to be the case. It is very difficult to find a leak that doesn't exist!

After seeking the help of an air conditioning guy introduced by Styria, the temperature at the dash vents was measured at 6DegC provided the blue dial was not turned past the mark shown in the photo below.

The mark signifies the point at which recirculation commences. If the blue dial was turned to max, the temperature at the dash vents was 3.5degC and after a time with humid atmosphere condensation and wet carpets would result.

The moral of this story is to keep the dial below the recirculation point or risk smelly carpets and a wet underlay that can lead to floor pan rust eventually.

I suggest you pull up the carpets in your w116 if it has air conditioning and check carefully for wet underlay. This stuff soaks water like a sponge! If the original underlay has degraded don't hesitate to get rid of it and replace with a suitable modern thermal and sound insulating underlay such as Dynamax.

IMG_2314_2.png

Parks

An interesting experience that I would like to share:

My 6.9's air conditioning was refrigerating air so well that condensation was forming on the outside of the condensor box behind the dash. Once the condensation reached a certain thickness it dripped down and wet the carpet in the footwells. Initially I thought there was an inaccessible crack or bad seal in the system but this proved not to be the case. It is very difficult to find a leak that doesn't exist!

After seeking the help of an air conditioning guy introduced by Styria, the temperature at the dash vents was measured at 6DegC provided the blue dial was not turned past the mark shown in the photo below.

The mark signifies the point at which recirculation commences. If the blue dial was turned to max, the temperature at the dash vents was 3.5degC and after a time with humid atmosphere condensation and wet carpets would result.

The moral of this story is to keep the dial below the recirculation point or risk smelly carpets and a wet underlay that can lead to floor pan rust eventually.

I suggest you pull up the carpets in your w116 if it has air conditioning and check carefully for wet underlay. This stuff soaks water like a sponge! If the original underlay has degraded don't hesitate to get rid of it and replace with a suitable modern thermal and sound insulating underlay such as Dynamax.

I certainly hope that fixes the problem for you David, theres nothing worse than having wet carpet:mad:

B13

Thanks David, I'll stop looking for that leak on my 6.9s a/c as well...

Ian.

OP
6.9forever

6.9forever

Noble
Let me know if this works Ian.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thanks David,

I never realised there was such a point.
I'll make sure not to go past that :eek:

(Styria, I haven't read my new 6.9 manual yet.:p )

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Don't you folk ever read your instruction manuals?:D:D:D Oh, you are awaiting yours Michel. What happened to the original?
Going to recirculate is a must in the M5 tunnel, Michel.
Regards,
BenzBoy

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Don't you folk ever read your instruction manuals?:D:D:D Oh, you are awaiting yours Michel. What happened to the original?
Going to recirculate is a must in the M5 tunnel, Michel.
Regards,
BenzBoy

Never had an original (except in full size A4 fotocopies)
Now I have two.... a good used American version and a NEW Aussie/Rest of the world copy.

I normally drive with the outside vents closed unless I'm in the country or on a fast flowing motorway.... The external vehicle produced smells are too much for me...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On another note..... I just realised your boxer with the 'funny' shorts is gone....

Und ze kaiser ist here???

Styria

The Godfather
Yes, David has experienced that nasty 'water in the foam sound proofing' that can be the bane of many 116, as well as 107, owners. The moisture in those foam pads never dries out and removal is not easy as it is glued to the metal floor and the air conditioning duct that runs to the rear compartment needs to be removed as well if one was to remove the complete foam pad.

I will have more details in another thread in due course, as Parks and I have done a lot of work with my Gleaming Beauty in that area. Regards, Styria

John S

I have to ask the obvious, but have you checked that the drains from the condenser have not been blocked, so it's actually overflow onto the floor?

OP
6.9forever

6.9forever

Noble
Yes I removed the two short rubber drain hoses on the left and the two on the right that go through the transmission tunnel wall and drain to the road, blew the dust out of them and re-installed and they work well. Even added a silicone wipe and secured with cable ties for good measure. They were in quite good condition. I should have mentioned that before as access was not too easy.

alabbasi

I have to ask the obvious, but have you checked that the drains from the condenser have not been blocked, so it's actually overflow onto the floor?

I would have suspected the drain tube. Also had similar problems in an old Saab and it turned out to be the expansion valve.