Air cleaners

More threads by Des

Des

Has anyone had any experience in restoring an air cleaner?

Mine is well, looking a bit crappy, just wondering how easily they can be sanded down, primed, painted etc..?

I'd imagine you would need special paint to withstand the heat under the bonnet

100_0971.png

SELfor50

Haven't done it personally, but I'm sure you'd wanna use heat resistant paint.

Of course the beauty of the 560 air cleaner is they're just metal...

Chrome it Des, you know you wanna!! :D

B13

Black VHT engine enamel has the goods to work properly and last in the heat of an engine bay. Its been on the market for years because it works.

As with all restorative paint jobs its only as good as the preparation and application.

I have a D-Jet air cleaner which was expertly repainted semi-gloss black by Noel before I bought it. On the weekend I'll try to take some pictures of it next to my unrestored one.

I.

116Benz

I'd strip it back, clean the rust spots as best as possible, prime it, use HT Gloss Black paint, then polish. I've seen some 102 & 103 tappet covers have the same problem, the treatment would cover them as well.

WGB

I have a small cabinet sand blaster and have cleaned up two aircleaners but it wouldn't cost much for a commercial firm to blast it for you.

One of the problems is that under the primerless original paint finish the surface develops rust and this is hard to remove without thorough cleaning.

Hi temp paint is better but most enamel spray paints will take the temperature of an aircleaner.

Just get a semi-gloss or satin finish so that it doesn't look too shiny and use an undercoat.

Two spray cans and a sandblast (Cash job of course) and it will look better than new.

Bill

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
There is absolutely no need for a hi-temp paint.

On the 690SEL I used normal automotive 2K paint in Gloss Black (my choice) for the air cleaner and the same paint used for the car on the rocker covers.
Proper preparation should be carried out and the final product should last a loooooong time :p

Enginebay-1Large.png

OP
Des

Des

wow

red rocker covers!

Now all you need to do is highlight the aircleaner with the silver paint on the mercedes star on the aircleaner

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
wow

red rocker covers!

Now all you need to do is highlight the aircleaner with the silver paint on the mercedes star on the aircleaner

Now that is too much work..... :eek:

Styria

The Godfather
B13 is right when he says that preparation is the initial ingredient to a long lasting and good finish. However, for a really good job, I find pressure-pak paint just okay for a little while but it will dull off over a period of time. To get the perfect result, a 2-pack primer rubbed down, and 2-pack black paint are the ultimate. Bead blasting as WGB is able to use is absolutely great as it can make light work of tedious and time consuming chores.

Otherwise, Michel's method is the best lasting and whatsmore, there is no need for heat resistant paint. Regards Styria

mathew

Des you will be pleased to know Mercedes-Benz still sell the original stickers for most their older models, so once you have the paint job done let us know. I'll get my mate in MB Sydney to get you one, then it will be truely original.
Cheers Mat:D

Mercules

Spiltting lanes
In the past I have used VHT flat black engine enamel, let it dry then bake it in the oven for 4-5 hours (this really pissed my mum off when I was living with my parents)

This method produces an extremely durable coating, almost ceramic or powder coated in its finish!

I don't know how you would get the Mercedes air cleaner assembly into your mum's oven though, you may need access to a pottery kiln or something but I believe this produces the ultimate results.

Cam

OP
Des

Des

Thanks for the comments and advice guys,

Firstly I might see what these things are worth new, I'm guessing MB will have some ridiculous price tag on a new item.

I don't feel confident tackling the job myself so might talk to a panel beater about doing the job.

OzBenzHead

Master
The air-cleaner boxes on my 116s have reached the point of needing a good clean-up. I had planned to use the same method as on my W108 - done about 10 years ago and still looking like the day it was done: sandblasted and powder-coated.

It is a nice rich satin finish - not too dull, not too glossy - and has never dulled, is easy to maintain. I had the entire oil-bath breather can done inside and out for about $30 (so may be more than that now).

SELfor50

Bumping this topic... Had enough of seeing my "Oops I did it again" post about crashing the ford - on the front page. :(