how colds your air?

More threads by hoddo

hoddo

Connoisseur
Drove to canberra and back this weekend in the slc, just for fun I took a digital thermometer and did a few tests on the air con. With the temp set to coldest and the fan on off (in my car the fan is never actually off, in the off position it still runs at a slow speed,not sure if this is normal) it blew 2.3 deg, with the fan in position 1 it blew around 7, and in pos 2 around 9, pos 3 10-11, pos 4 ..forget it too loud. You may wonder what this has to do with anything, but it gets me the first post in this section :)

John S

I had my aircon regassed and then tested with a digital thermometer. I was told that the air flow should read about 5 degrees but mine only reached 9 degrees on a 40 degree day - I was pleased with the result so took it no further.

-bb-

Noble
Recently had the A/C in my 116 'fixed'. They replaced the 'TX Valve', one of the gassing valves (?) and the receiver dryer. Was a freeze box after they fixed it, but I took the car out yesterday and it had bloody died again :mad::mad:

I like my A/C and not having it working on a hot or wet day sucks.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys, the heading says W107 only, yet we are discussing 116's as well ! To this I say, what the heck - one of the beauties of TOPKLASSE is the flexibility the administrative team is happy and prepared to extend in most circumstances. This is certainly one of them.

I have spoken to bb, and it would appear that the compressor is at fault, and replacement of that unit is probably just about the worst job on a 6.9, and on a 450, irrespective whether that be a 107 or 116. Just one of those things.

I have two 6.9's, viz. my 'Gleaming Beauty' with tinted windows, and the Astral Silver car without tint and, possibly, standard glass as I suspect all four doors were replaced at one stage. It may not be generally known that all 6.9's were fitted with special heat resistant glass by the factory, and if I compare my two cars, I have never found my 'Gleaming Beauty' an overly hot car. In comparison, the Astral Silver car can be an absolute sweatbox. I can't fathom the reason for this as normally I would drive with the windows down, so the tint doesn't come into play. Yet, the 'Gleaming Beauty' is so much cooler a car under all conditions. One of the modifications I have carried out is to fit a heavy grade Silver Foil to the back of the door trims, instead of the customary clear plastic - that could possibly help as well. Just not sure. In addition, I have used Dynamat on the whole length of the car on the left hand side. Regards, Styria

Last edited: