Streak free cleaners

More threads by sean sherry

sean sherry

Master
Well none of them work on my Mk V11 Golf. After 2 hours frustration this morning , ending up with soap and water , still streaky and greasy .
Only product that did eventually work was Rain Ex - treame which I had for the plastic window of the SL. I think it is a VW problem, as I have never had this issue before. Also the Metallic Silver Paint scratches with anything harder than my finger nail. The Rain Ex reminds me of the old Bon ami product of yester year. Dries white quickly,, and seems to lift all the greasy scum when wiped off. I guess VW have found the cheapest way to finish their Cars. The suspension is all pressed metal ,and a bump on a curb would probably cause a lot of damage. Not designed for a long life it seems. Just another throw away product. I will follow Styria's example and check with a Dealer as to their worth after the Warranty runs out.

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Now maybe I should reply to my own post. Forget these throw away Cars and get a clean and tidy Merc. from back in the days when they were made to last. A six cyl. from the early Nineties perhaps ? All advice greatly received.

Dump the Golf when it is expedient to do so.

Styria

The Godfather
Well none of them work on my Mk V11 Golf. After 2 hours frustration this morning , ending up with soap and water , still streaky and greasy .
Only product that did eventually work was Rain Ex - treame which I had for the plastic window of the SL. I think it is a VW problem, as I have never had this issue before. Also the Metallic Silver Paint scratches with anything harder than my finger nail. The Rain Ex reminds me of the old Bon ami product of yester year. Dries white quickly,, and seems to lift all the greasy scum when wiped off. I guess VW have found the cheapest way to finish their Cars. The suspension is all pressed metal ,and a bump on a curb would probably cause a lot of damage. Not designed for a long life it seems. Just another throw away product. I will follow Styria's example and check with a Dealer as to their worth after the Warranty runs out.

Sean, do you really want to check with a dealer ? Your heart may not survive that experience. Plus, you ARE a nice chappie, and I do want to enjoy your company and lovely sense of humour a bit longer. :D Regards Styria

Styria

The Godfather
Now maybe I should reply to my own post. Forget these throw away Cars and get a clean and tidy Merc. from back in the days when they were made to last. A six cyl. from the early Nineties perhaps ? All advice greatly received.

Dump the Golf when it is expedient to do so.

....try the W140 ! No ? Hmmm.......with an old Mercedes, aren't you likely to be looking for trouble. You might have to go Memnoch's way - Kia Cerato, 7 year warranty, and I had a look at a Cerato Sedan (2012) just the other day. No, it was 2014, priced in an auction yard for about nineteen grand. Nice interior (believe it or not) , nice sound and, let's face it, not a bad looker. It does make one think........Regards Styria

OP
S

sean sherry

Master
Yes Styria, I will save myself a lot of aggravation and not ask a dealer. The Golf is a joy to drive as is the C Class and I guess the sensible path to take is to just keep driving both of them. We don't do much Mileage these days so perhaps I'm getting my nickers in a knot for nothing !
Maintence wise they cost very little , a annual oil and filter, an occasional brake fluid change and precious little else.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Yes Styria, I will save myself a lot of aggravation and not ask a dealer. The Golf is a joy to drive as is the C Class and I guess the sensible path to take is to just keep driving both of them. We don't do much Mileage these days so perhaps I'm getting my nickers in a knot for nothing !
Maintence wise they cost very little , a annual oil and filter, an occasional brake fluid change and precious little else.
And they will still be going strong in 15 years time so forget the changeover and enjoy.
The only economical way to buy a car is to keep it until it is no longer worth repairing and then you part it out for someone else to pick over .....
Regards,
Brian