How much is a 380SL worth ?

More threads by -bb-

-bb-

Noble
No, I am not buying one, but it seems the Mercedes bug has bitten a family member :D

Just then, I got a phone call out of the blue asking about buying a 1981 380SL.

She didn't have many specifics on the car, but will do after looking at it tomorrow. Obviously I could give at this stage, was some general advice and what to look for as well as suggesting a professional inspection.

The asking price for this car is $18500. From a quick look on the internet, it would appear to be in their price range for a reasonable to good one. Am I correct in this assumption?

Once I know more, I will post back asking for some opinions on whether it could be a good buy.

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Red Book Guide Values:
Private Price Guide $12,100 - $15,900
Trade In Price Guide $9,000 - $12,800
Price When New (RRP)* $59,945

I hope this helps

No, I am not buying one, but it seems the Mercedes bug has bitten a family member :D

Just then, I got a phone call out of the blue asking about buying a 1981 380SL.

She didn't have many specifics on the car, but will do after looking at it tomorrow. Obviously I could give at this stage, was some general advice and what to look for as well as suggesting a professional inspection.

The asking price for this car is $18500. From a quick look on the internet, it would appear to be in their price range for a reasonable to good one. Am I correct in this assumption?

Once I know more, I will post back asking for some opinions on whether it could be a good buy.

TJ 450

Regardless of price, the buyer will need to ensure that the timing chain and gear has been attended to in the maintenance history, although being an enthusiast yourself I'm sure you would already know. If it still has the single row chain and sprockets (unlikely), the buyer would also need to factor in that these will need to be replaced along with everything else.

At that price, it should be a good, but not neccessarily concours car.

My Dad had a 1983 380SL a few years back, which was a UK import and despite still having the single row chain, it went well. He was fortunate enough not to have the engine self destruct.

Tim

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Tim, I think it is fair to say that you can forget all about book values on an SL or even an SLC model. Condition is of the utmost importance, both interior and bodywise. An SL can easily set you back $20k. and that is pocket money if you consider that a Toyota Yaris with a couple of extras thrown in will cost just as much.

Just bear in mind that the 380 is not particularly relaxing on the Freeway or highway - there is no real engine momentum build-up at 100 - 110 km/hr on account of the high revs required for peak torque to come in - by that time, you're well over the legal limit. Regards Styria

G

GreaseMonkey

I notice a few interesting points here.
First, while the 380 is not the best model, if it has been serviced and the chains are ok, a good SL will usually have an asking price well over 20K in most ads, papers, magazines, websites etc..
Despite red book values, they do seem to be holding up.
Of course asking price is not always selling price, but the last SL I went to check out, while initially seeming a bargain at 15K had enough minor faults to add up to an expensive car when put right.
I think once again, we should all chorus together the old Mercedes cliche;
"Always buy the best you can find, it will work out cheaper in the long run".
Interestingly, Michel quotes the red book, but the link at;
www.drive.com.au
to valuations according to glass's guide come up with very different prices;
MERCEDES-BENZ 380 SL
2D CONVERTIBLE, 1981, 3.8 lt, 4 SP AUTOMATIC
Average km's travelled N/A
Price when new $59944
Estimated Valuations:
$21330-26070 private sale
$17300-23700 trade in value
$31600-37920 dealer price
Which - if either - is nearer the truth?
Any opinions?
Chris M.

116Benz

The one big thing on these is rust, sills, soft top cavity, inner structure on the front end. 380's arent as good as a 450 performance wise though and 560's are still a bit high in the $ compared to a 380. Oh and 500SL's up untill an R129 were imports, we never got them officially.

450SE

I'm perhaps a little biased - being a 380SL owner myself - but with the exception of the 560SL, I believe the 380 to be the pick of the locally delivered bunch.
Although it they may not have the power of a 450, there are seemingly fewer incidents of oil leaks etc. Mine has only done 71,000km since 1986, but still it does not leak a speck of the black stuff (or any other liquid for that matter).
The 560, although a little nicer to look at with the revised front apron & boot lip spoiler, is a little uncomfortable with the slightly lower seating position & firmer seats. (plus you lose a valuable air vent to the pesky clock! :mad:)

I would tend to believe Glasses Guide over Red Book as it is far more in detailed in analysis.

As Styria mentions, go for quality over price. It will save you in the long run...
Don't get me wrong, each time mine goes in for a service, the wallet bleeds - but I'm relieved it doesn't haemorrhage. :D

-bb-, since posting six months ago tomorrow, has there been any update on your family members search?

Styria

The Godfather
Hi 450SE, I am glad you dug out this thread - it's been a little quiet last few days....

You know, I am just not quite sure how to say this, but from my very, very limited experience, I don't like the 380 engine, nor the 420 for that matter. Now, I should be the first to realize that you don't criticize cars of other owners on account of what I invariably try and maintain - no one appreciates adverse comments.

I have only ever driven a 380 SLC, for a distance of some two hundred kilometers of Freeway conditions. I found that, in order to maintain the legal limit of 110, I had to keep my foot on the throttle constantly. There just seemed to be no momentum when the car "would amble along" at its own pace - there was no build up of flywheel momentum, if you know what I mean. Perhaps I am being spoiled by 6.9 liters of torque. Yet, and this was very noticeable, once you approached 4000 rpm, peak torque came in and the car assumed a different character. Eager to go, happy to cruise - only one problem - I was well over the legal limit at about 140-150 km/hour. As I said, limited experience, but those were my impressions. Regards Styria

OP
B

-bb-

Noble
-bb-, since posting six months ago tomorrow, has there been any update on your family members search?

They didnt buy the car I was originally asked about due to excess rust. I have not been asked advice on any other cars at this stage.