Its worth doing that little bit extra

More threads by Parks

Parks

As most of you know we have been preparing styrias old silver 6.9 for painting, whilst the job is primarily an "outside respray" which basically means just the outside of the car is being done, so insides of dog legs and inside of doors arent being done......but myself and styria wanted to go that little bit extra to do a few little things that make the car look so much better, and to be honest it didnt take that long to do, generally with an outside respray the radiator support panel isnt done, neither inside frame of bonnet or inside of guards etc etc, those little things that make the front of the car when the bonnet is open look that much classier, quite honestly it looked really bad before we did it and we just couldnt leave it like that, whilst I painted the silver on the places you see, styria deserves the credit for the fine detail work painting the radiator, fan, pipes etc and as you can see from the photos its come up quite good

210520092534.jpg

210520092535.jpg

210520092540.jpg

Styria

The Godfather
Some of the following pictures were taken just prior to the car being driven 'under its own steam' to the Panel Beating shop and the spray oven - remember all work on the engine - the car actually runs now ! That's beside the point at the moment. Please note the heavy plastic covering on the front guards - this was to ensure that no damage, nor any contamination, would be caused to these panels already prepared for painting.

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69055.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69056.jpg
ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69059.jpg

Not that one can see it at the moment, but the boot lid took an eternity to try and fit properly - invariably this denotes that the car had previously been involved in a minor rear end shunt - incidentally, boot lid, sections of the bonnet and under bonnet area were sprayed separately.

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69061.jpg

ChrisPearsonAstralSilver69062.jpg.

I didn't realize that Parks was going to publish his photos on topklasse. He can, at times, be my biggest critic, and even he expressed his surprise at the result of that tid bit of detail work I had carried out. It does make a fair bit of difference - you know, you open up the bonnet and you see quite well executed details. Regards Styria

N.B. Still trying to find my camera as I have taken some photos of the car once it had been resprayed.

Martin280s

A respray is just like a new outfit for the car, when I had LG done it was so exciting....BTW, is that a Rover TC in the penultimate photo?

Last edited:
B

BAR

Herr Ober

Looking forward to seeing the pictures of the finished product!

So many different silvers in the MB paint catalogue, wondering which one looks best on the W116.