380SL For sale.

More threads by wagons46

wagons46

I have decided that I would like to let my SL go as I'm not using it mainly due to her ladyship's reluctance to travel with the roof off and mine with it on. The last few years have added under 200 klms a year.
Here is my problem. I'm impatient and hate being mucked around. What is the best method of selling my car?. The classic car magazines take too long, maybe the internet Car Sales sites or maybe this site may have a member who knows of a buyer.
It is a 1981 380SL in red, fully registered with NO rust and above average condition. I think it is worth 30K and would be very cheap at early 20k. Somewhere in the middle we could strike a deal.
Has anyone any ideas?

260ebenz

Master
I have decided that I would like to let my SL go as I'm not using it mainly due to her ladyship's reluctance to travel with the roof off and mine with it on. The last few years have added under 200 klms a year.
Here is my problem. I'm impatient and hate being mucked around. What is the best method of selling my car?. The classic car magazines take too long, maybe the internet Car Sales sites or maybe this site may have a member who knows of a buyer.
It is a 1981 380SL in red, fully registered with NO rust and above average condition. I think it is worth 30K and would be very cheap at early 20k. Somewhere in the middle we could strike a deal.
Has anyone any ideas?

Hello Wagons46 you and I sound alike we are both are impatient.

Are you a Member of the MB Club NSW? you could advertise your 380SL in the magazine and also Carsales, Carpoint car sites are good for advertising your car for sale.

All the best with the sale of your 380SL Mercedes they are a very nice car the SL Mercedes.

Cheers.

Tony66_au

Has anyone any ideas?

In the current economic climate I feel that you have a bit of a wait on your hands as it is a buyers market.

Id honestly hold off until the warmer weather and then try carsales.com.au or similar.

Unique cars will have a few of your style and you don't want competition in the marketplace.

eBay can be good but relist a car too many times and it will get a reputation although a good well written and descriptive advert goes a long way and although the car may not sell at auction it may sell after auction.

Set a reserve which will deter bargain hunters and help qualify serious and cashed up bidders, include as many pics as you can from all angles including the bad stuff, inside the boot and under the bonnet and make sure the auction ends on a weekend at a reasonable hour.

It may or may not sell but often cars are sold weeks after a listing has ended and I believe your car falls into this category.

if you like feel free to post your trial runs in here and let us help by picking the advert apart and suggesting additions and tweaks.

Its a good start and you may sell first go with a good advert.

Failing that MB clubs are good as word of mouth helps but you will be selling into a hard market via the clubs as they will no doubt find fault or history you were not aware of so be prepared for this eventuality and take it all on board with good grace.

Good luck!

Tony

OP
W

wagons46

Thanks for all your advice and help. I don't have to sell but at the moment I have the urge and together with my impatience would like to do something now.
The car is too good for E-Bay, I feel, and I would imagine any purchaser would be delighted when he took delivery of this car sight unseen,as there are no faults I could list or photograph. Naturally being 31 years young there would be something to pick, but nothing that requires repair immediately. If there was I would have done so myself.
I considered Shannons Auctions but their commissions are quite steep and although I'm sure they would get my price, their slice reduces mine to give-away.
I'll see what a few days on this forum can do because so-far,so-good.
Rod

Oversize

Grand Master
Has anyone any ideas?

What a shame to let her go, but I have a solution to your tale of woe; buy a W116 with a sunroof!!! ;):D BTW Ebay is a buyer's paradise and tends to be frequented by bargain hunters. You may get a quick sale, but not achieve to price you'd like. Set the reserve too high and you may not get any bites at all, but as Tony suggests, you may sell her after the auction finishes.

Last edited:

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Hi Wagon46 best luck with the sale at present there are 11 380sl for sale on Carpoint rangeing from $16000 for a rough looking LHD but really starting at $19500 for this one with 127000km http://www.carpoint.com.au/Gallery....d=5215855&f_mid=0&c_mid=4420481&TabId=2208824 to a tell him he is dreaming $72000 for this 1 with 23000km http://www.carpoint.com.au/Gallery....d=5215855&f_mid=0&c_mid=4420481&TabId=2208824 so your price seems about right high 20's to low 30's if in good condition by the way best of luck and photos please :D

Tony66_au

Thanks for all your advice and help. I don't have to sell but at the moment I have the urge and together with my impatience would like to do something now.
The car is too good for E-Bay, I feel, and I would imagine any purchaser would be delighted when he took delivery of this car sight unseen,as there are no faults I could list or photograph. Naturally being 31 years young there would be something to pick, but nothing that requires repair immediately. If there was I would have done so myself.
I considered Shannons Auctions but their commissions are quite steep and although I'm sure they would get my price, their slice reduces mine to give-away.
I'll see what a few days on this forum can do because so-far,so-good.
Rod

LOL its a car Rod, I know of 2 prestige dealers who would vehemently disagree with your analogy that the car is too good for eBay mate.

As for lots of pictures? Pure marketing.

Shiny things sell.

So why reduce your market by prejudging the sales venue?

It may sell or it may not but the market is currently depressed so cashed up buyers will be on the hunt for bargains sure!

And if your car is concours or close and a good honest example then it will stand out from the usual quickie import rust monsters and sell faster.

A mate who owns a transport company has bought 7 toys on eBay since christmas, all exotica and totalling $250 k, 2 of them Mercedes.

He gets bored, wants a toy and goes to the quickest and most informative venue to satisfy him.

Another aquaintance has probably spent 3 times that amount if you include eBay USA and eBay in the UK including a Bentley Turbo R and 2 Early Lotus.

I think that any market is a good market and with so many promo tools at your disposal please don't discount eBay.

OP
W

wagons46

I am familiar with the pros and cons of E-Bay having done 178 transactions including some vehicles. I have even purchased a vintage car from the US. I still believe that it is not the venue for my car,as much as I would love to find a rich toy collector.
I guess I'm wanting to find the buyer who has been searching for a good 380SL for some time and has done his homework. He would buy my car.
Of course if it all becomes too hard I'll simply keep it.

OP
W

wagons46

I see that Shannons Melbourne have just auctioned and sold a 85 380SL for $32000. The photographs could well be of my car as it is identical.
I still cannot go through the drama and waiting (and cost regardless) of selling this way.
190 odd people have read this thread and may know someone looking for a 380SL .I can be contacted by e-mail via this site.:)

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I wouold advise sending the SL to Shannon's Motorex auction as it will get good coverage and basically Shannons do the work - so it should be hassle free. Oytherwise, sit and wait...
Regards,
Brian