How much is a 450SLC worth?

More threads by GreaseMonkey

G

GreaseMonkey

I was going to put this in my reply to the thread re 380SL values, but I thought it better to start a new thread here.
Much as I don't want to part with it, my 450SLC (very clean and low kms) may have to go, as my wife still wants a convertible.
Probably a 107SL, much as we both like the older W113, I think they are out of our range at the moment.
And I still have to fill that gap in my carport labelled 6.9 too.
I don't really know what a mint SLC is worth now, as there are so many average ones around between 5K and 9K, but it looks like, all things being equal, in similar condition and spec, an SLC would get about half the price of a good SL.
Of course the most desirable 5.0 models would be more, and a mint low kms one like Greg's 500SLC in Sydney would be the top example.
Anyone know any better?
What does the red book say about a '76 450SLC Michel?
The glass's values at www.drive.com.au are;
MERCEDES-BENZ 450 SLC W107
2D COUPE, 1976, 4.5 lt, 3 SP AUTOMATIC
Average km's travelled N/A
Price when new $32161
Estimated Valuations:
$12330-15070 private sale
$10000-13700 trade in value
$18200-21840 dealer price
These seem a bit optimistic, any thoughts?

Shannons have it covered for 15K
Chris

John S

If you have plenty of time, ask the top price for it - put the details on a few web sites, place an ad in Unique Cars and Just Cars and see what response you get. It's a buyers market at the moment, but you only need one buyer that's after your particular model at the time to get the sale.

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Thanks John, I am not in any hurry to sell, and if I did, of course I would want a good price.
I know generally it is a buyer's market, and right now the trade are suffering to move cars, but for a thirty-two year old in such clean condition, I just wondered what IS a correct valuation these days.
Chris

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Unfortunately the value in the Red Book is not brilliant :eek:

Private Price Guide $6,900 - $10,000
Trade In Price Guide $4,400 - $7,500
Price When New (RRP)* $32,290

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Red Book is always low because it is the median. That is 50% of cars sold for more and 50% sold for less. Drive.com.au is reputed to take its valuations from the insurance industry figures but I suspect it interprets them for its own purpose. How is just a little bit of a mystery. I guess no more of a mystery than some of their road tests......:mad:
Regards,
BenzBoy

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Grease Monkey, I have known people to look for months, sometimes without success, to find good, clean and rust free examples of the 107 models. Condition is of paramount importance, and then you will need to get the right person.

I think their styling is brilliant - in nice condition, they still look 'the goods' today. My opinion for all it's worth. Regards Styria

hoddo

Connoisseur
Personaly I wouldnt sell for less than 15K unless I was desperate, as Styria says good ones are getting harder to find and I suspect a few are being parted to refurbish the SL's . I wouldnt be surprised if they started to rise in value as good ones become rarer.

Fotografa

I think you will find that in the next few years a good SLC will outprice a good SL.

It's sounds crazy I know, but ther are about one fifth the number of C107's as R107's, and when the new SLC comes out next year I think it will re-ignite the passion for the badge.

I lot of SLC's have been canabalised, or left to rot, as people didn't see them as being as desirable as SL's.

Obviously 560SL's and amy other MINT SL's will be worth more, but I think you will find a good 450SLC will end up being more than a good 450SL.

500SLC's don't really count as such in Australia, as there are only two here, and neither are on the market.

Just my 2c worth.

BTW, if you do want a W113, there are some well priced examples still around if you know where to look, and don't mind LHD (personally I think LHD is better, as they will retain higher values in continental Europe.) Ther are somme decent 250SL's around at the moment for under $35,000.

Foto

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

Thanks all, I pretty much agree with all the above, and I too think the SLC will have it's day soon, and when people realise how much rarer than the SL they are, the few clean cars that remain will be recognised for the great cars they are.
Like I said, I am not really in a hurry to sell anyway, but if I was offered a good 6.9 and if my wife really does want a convertible, something has to go and this is the car we use the least.
Regards,
Chris

alabbasi

I had a silver blue 500SLC. I bought it as a non runner along with a couple of other 026 cars. I got the car running, worked through the ignition system and the injection system and got it running quite well (but not perfectly).

I listed it for $3000 US and it took months to sell. Mainly because it looked quite rough and needed some work on the interior.

Lately, one guy flew in from Florida to look at the car. He was clearly disappointed in the condition of the car until he drove it. Then he bought it on the spot.

Long and short, if you can hold out for the right price, then do so. It will come eventually.

OP
B

BAR

Whatever a car was worth a month ago, one would have to put a knife through the price today.

New cars can't sell: what chance old ones?

OP
B

BAR

Just look at this gloomy [or bright if you're in the market to buy] article on car sales.

hoddo

Connoisseur
Quote from that article

Chris d’Souza from used car valuation experts Glass’s Guide agrees.
He says used car values have strengthened as money-conscious buyers move away from new cars to the second-hand market.
He claims used car values traditionally improve when there is an economic downturn.
“There’s a swinging pendulum effect. When new car sales are booming, used car values tend to fall, but as new car sales drop, near-new used car prices improve,” he says.
He says used car values have “taken a hiding” over the past 12 to 18 months, which means that the gap between the price of a new car and a near-new car has widened considerably, making used cars more attractive to buyers.
“We have noticed that used car values have strengthened a little in the past six weeks or so,” he says.

Sounds like the SLC went up a few grand to me :) Maby some high fliers that could only get their toys on finance might start to see value in the classic older mercs

OP
G

GreaseMonkey

I am always dubious about Glass's Guide, and certainly would take anything one of their 'experts' says with the proverbial pinch.
Having said that though, some of the above makes sense.
For the general buyer shopping around, a down-turn in the market like we are seeing now, will mean there are great bargains to be had.
Referring specifically to the SLC, I don't expect much interest anyway this side of Christmas, if there is someone looking for a good one, then my price is good, but I am not desperate to sell for the best offer. And yes, I believe they have reached the bottom of the market and should start to be appreciated soon.
I only mentioned it because even with the new garage being built, I have too many cars, and apart from being a nuisance to move them all around to get one out, it is a waste to see them not all being used. Maybe I will sell one of the others and start using it more.
I will decide what to do in January.
Chris M.