Very, very dodgy listing for 450SLC.

More threads by Fotografa

Fotografa

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190223742038&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123

I really don't know where to start on this one.

"can be converted to a convertible" WHAT?? yes, it can, I've seen it done, ugly as sin!!!

"can be converted to right hand drive" Um, yeah, so what, they made them right hand drive anyway, why would you want to convert one.

But hey, it's "Amaculant"... hmmm, spell checker anyone???

"the last time I priced this car when I was going to buy on it was in the USA and it was for $40,000USD, last year" Um, get off the drugs dude, these are worth SFA in the states at the moment, a lot less than they should be worth really. Hell, you can pick a mint SLC in the States for $10,000. A dodgy one will set you back less than $1,000.

"The 450 SLC had two-doors, hard-top, and seating for four. It was similar to the 450 SL but with a longer wheelbase which increased the weight slightly. The rear passengers window is actually a 1/4 window with a louvered panel which provided extra privacy. Production lasted from 1977 through 1981. The 450 SLC is renowned for its performance and was constructed by the manufacturer as a homologation special to compete in marathon rallies. Another purpose was to act as an experimental car, a test vehicles which would gather data for use in the construction of their next generation aluminum engines." - Um, okay this blurb applies to the 107.026 cars, the 450SLC 5.0 and 500SLC, your car is neither of these.

Have you got any documentation for that milage???

Oh, well, I guess it is his time and money he is wasting by listing it like that. If you are selling something, I think it might help to learn about not only what you are selling, but the market as well.

Thank god for people like this, they stop me from getting bored.

Foto

116Benz

I still cant figure out where the car is located, it says Gladstone at the top, during the writting of it, it says the car is located in Asia. Should I email Miss Cleo? Also, I'm guessing the car is Japan LHD spec with the 180 kmh spedo, if it has such low km's why would you chop top it? lunatic!

Last edited:

Des

thanks for a good laugh, I guess some people have unrealistic expectations of their cars value and what they even own.

:D

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
However, he seems to have a reasonnably clean eBay record...

bad speller though... phewwwwwwwww :rolleyes:

OP
Fotografa

Fotografa

I still cant figure out where the car is located, it says Gladstone at the top, during the writting of it, it says the car is located in Asia. Should I email Miss Cleo? Also, I'm guessing the car is Japan LHD spec with the 180 kmh spedo, if it has such low km's why would you chop top it? lunatic!

I've emailed the seller, he says the car is in the Phillipines.

116Benz

It's times like this that you wish the Russian site would be more flexible. Phillipines, interesting. One wonders if the car has the history to back up the claim.

Martin280s

If any of my students were to present a text written the way this one was, I'd shoot them!

Why is it so difficult to write clearly and precisely, especially when trying to sell?

116Benz

For the champion of mis-spelling I would refer to the 380SEL ad. I still chuckle over that.

OP
Fotografa

Fotografa

If any of my students were to present a text written the way this one was, I'd shoot them!

Why is it so difficult to write clearly and precisely, especially when trying to sell?

I gave up on expecting literacy skills about the same time I started reading US forums.

I am still surprised when I come across someone who can spell and string a sentence together.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I am still surprised when I come across someone who can spell and string a sentence together.

Keep reading this Forum..:D

We're all full or surprises :p

OP
Fotografa

Fotografa

Keep reading this Forum..:D

We're all full or surprises :p

Australian and UK based forums seem quite good on the spelling and grammar front, and honestly there are quite a few on the US forums that can spell, but my god, there are also so many that are so bad. I mean, I get that not everyone grasps the they're/there/their and where/we're/were, but seriously, some of the stuff I've read is scary.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Fotografa, if it took this "dodgy ad' to get you going on 'Topklasse' so be it - that can't be such a bad thing. Look, you will just have to tell us all about the restoration on your 107 - you sure are slow in coming forward !:D

We are all waiting with baited breath - well, I am anyway - not sure about the others. Getting back to the ad. Okay, there seem some problems with command of the English language. On the other hand, say you know a smattering of German, or Russki for that matter, how would you go posting on those language sites - I know that I'd be struggling a bit. Anyway, it got you 'out of your hiding place', so keep them coming. Regards Styria

BenzBoy

Grand Master
'If any of my students were to present a text written the way this one was, I'd shoot them! '
Why not shoot both? Sorry, it's late at night and I feel like being wicked....:eek: I note, though, from your use of the conditional, that none of your students would ever dare!!:D
Regards,
BenzBoy

OP
Fotografa

Fotografa

Hi Fotografa, if it took this "dodgy ad' to get you going on 'Topklasse' so be it - that can't be such a bad thing. Look, you will just have to tell us all about the restoration on your 107 - you sure are slow in coming forward !:D

We are all waiting with baited breath - well, I am anyway - not sure about the others. Getting back to the ad. Okay, there seem some problems with command of the English language. On the other hand, say you know a smattering of German, or Russki for that matter, how would you go posting on those language sites - I know that I'd be struggling a bit. Anyway, it got you 'out of your hiding place', so keep them coming. Regards Styria

Hey Styria,

As soon as I can get some photos of the SLC together I will begin my restoration thread... It'll be a long one.

With regards to the command of English in this ad, the scary thing is the seller is a captain in the Royal Australian Navy!!

Have you seen his latest Q&A's at the bottom of the ad, about converting it to a soft-top....

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hey Styria,
With regards to the command of English in this ad, the scary thing is the seller is a captain in the Royal Australian Navy!!

Once a sailor... always a sailor...:D