6.9 on E-bay [Dodgy Seller - Beware]

More threads by SELfor50

SELfor50

If anyone is bidding on this, be carefull!!!

This is the car I test drove last year in canberra. It was written off by an insurance company earlier this year when it was in a rear-ender.

I've been advised that's the 2nd time it's had the front crushed and repaired.

The seller isn't responding to questions, and he's not listed too much info regarding the car.

I had put some bids on it, but had no response from the seller confirming any recent repairs / car history. He / She's avoiding it.

Can anyone in sydney check this out at all?? To see how good the repairs are?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110256387280&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

Des

Car is missing headlight wipers,
and the pieces that fit under the front bumper,

is it missing the panel under the rear bumper? hard to tell from the pictures

so I'd say the repairs have been fairly poor.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
They do recommend inspection....

Can you organise one?

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

They do recommend inspection....

Can you organise one?

Tried asking the dude for contact details to organise, but no response.

I think cause i've already questioned about any 'recent' body repairs he's barring me. Oh well.

But of course if anyone in sydney wants to inspect, feel free!! The 3k mark is pretty much where my bidding ends. I was only gonna pay about 6k when i first test drove it here...as it had ALREADY had a front ding and been pulled out instead of chopped etc. So knowing that, then knowing it's had a 2nd front ding and repair.. i'm not prepared to bid much more.

Just sh!ts me that whoever picked it up got it for a steal and now they're trying to capitalise.. :mad:

116Benz

I dunno what bothers me more, the fact that the seller is doing a dodgy or the fact that it looks like the photos are taken at a panel beating business, theres a 280CE next to it (the Mazda3 is on the other side) and saddly the CE looks like it's had rear quarter repairs (the engine bay shot) theres a missing window and the rub strip is missing (no orange inserts for the strips, or they'e been painted over). I hope the person that buys it asks all the right questions, it would be a shame to see someone spend their hard earned only to have their hopes shatter when they find out the truth.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I dunno what bothers me more, the fact that the seller is doing a dodgy or the fact that it looks like the photos are taken at a panel beating business, theres a 280CE next to it (the Mazda3 is on the other side) and saddly the CE looks like it's had rear quarter repairs (the engine bay shot) theres a missing window and the rub strip is missing (no orange inserts for the strips, or they'e been painted over). I hope the person that buys it asks all the right questions, it would be a shame to see someone spend their hard earned only to have their hopes shatter when they find out the truth.

The whole thing looks dodgy.
The repairs are not inspiring.
If a car doesnt look like factory, then something is amiss...:(

Des

Just sh!ts me that whoever picked it up got it for a steal and now they're trying to capitalise.. :mad:

Other than the driving enjoyment I don't think there is any financial gain to be made. Looks like it will need a fair bit of bodywork.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Other than the driving enjoyment I don't think there is any financial gain to be made. Looks like it will need a fair bit of bodywork.

Indeed.... and why would you spend the money on something you're going to spend a fortune more and will NEVER be as good as an original..

Des

Indeed.... and why would you spend the money on something you're going to spend a fortune more and will NEVER be as good as an original..

Well someone like Oscar who can do his own mechanical and bodywork could save thousands of dollars by doing the work himself, rather than paying for someone else to do it.

Still would be a project and deserves to be brought back to life in some form or another.

6.9 race car? HELL YES

oscar

:D Nah too expensive IMO for a track car. I know it sux that there's an issue with disclosure of details. After looking at it again last night it would be good to have a close look at the engine bay and panels and pick the repairs. It made me think what if my repair on the 280 is worse than the 6.9:( I kind of wanted to make it look seamless particularly with symetery and alignment but not easily done if someone notices the welds on the inside.

Would love to have seen a pic of how bad the crash was and whether it involved the lower rails.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
:D Nah too expensive IMO for a track car. I know it sux that there's an issue with disclosure of details. After looking at it again last night it would be good to have a close look at the engine bay and panels and pick the repairs. It made me think what if my repair on the 280 is worse than the 6.9:( I kind of wanted to make it look seamless particularly with symetery and alignment but not easily done if someone notices the welds on the inside.

Would love to have seen a pic of how bad the crash was and whether it involved the lower rails.

You know, most of the time, it is the small hits that make the worse repair jobs. Because people want to 'repair' rather than replace, they end up messing it and there are thousands of 'bodgy' jobs out there ....
Unfortunately, this looks like one of them....:eek:

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

You know, most of the time, it is the small hits that make the worse repair jobs. Because people want to 'repair' rather than replace, they end up messing it and there are thousands of 'bodgy' jobs out there ....
Unfortunately, this looks like one of them....:eek:

Sad but true Michel..

I was actually called by the PO to tell me that they 'found' their car on e-bay. I told them they should've sold it to me when they had the chance.

Insurance paid them 12k for it.. :eek: I have a slight feeling too that now it's repaired they may be trying to buy it back.... never know?! :eek:

oscar

Insurance paid them 12k for it..

holy cow! As soon as povo is fixed, it might be worth insuring and chasing down another kangaroo.

Michel, I know what you mean. We had a similar experience with an AU Flacon wagon v roo. Panel shop repaired the bonnet and it was never the same, just not quite right. they said NRMA wouldn't pay for a new bonnet. My personal feeling is that they did get a new bonnet but fixed the old one. I dunno, I've heard a few dodgy stories circulate round town about that particular shop. Nothing would surprise me. In the end, i should've complained but we sold the car and got a Terri not long after.

WGB

It would have to be a hard bang to bend the lower rails.

If it is repaired reasonably at least you probably get a good grille, lights, radiator and bumper even if some bits are missing.

Needs inspection and some degree of honesty on the part of the seller whoich doesn't sound like it is forthcoming.

Oscar - "Suits you, Sir" (quote - The Fast Show)

Bill

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
It has been sitting at $5100....

I still think it is better to spend that kind of money on a car that has a decent, undamaged body (even with rust) and in need of mechanicals, rather than spend a single cent on something badly repaired.

My warning to anyone contemplating buying it.... You'll be sorry :(

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

It has been sitting at $5100....

I still think it is better to spend that kind of money on a car that has a decent, undamaged body (even with rust) and in need of mechanicals, rather than spend a single cent on something badly repaired.

My warning to anyone contemplating buying it.... You'll be sorry :(

So true... I've actually researched into the bidders, and I reckon there's a few bidders working with the seller. As soon as I e-mailed him and baited him that I was "Interested" but wanted to ask a few questions... the price started bouncing non stop. Bad feeling.. :mad:

However, you are right Michel.

I'm pretty much 99.998% confident it will be re-listed.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Oh Noooooooooooooooooo :D

-bb-

Noble
I'm going upto Sydney next week, so I might go and have a look. Might be time for another 6.9 video so we all can see how good/bad the repairs are.

OP
SELfor50

SELfor50

Do it up! Good luck getting a response from this chump though!
Maybe he ignored me cause I asked about any 'recent repairs'. But anyway.

The one on LPG would probably be worth more than this I reckon.