I dont think the seller knows what he's got!

More threads by 116Benz

OzBenzHead

Master
Seller certainly makes no mention of the fact that it's a 6.9 - anywhere in the entire advert.

But who would hock a 6.9 if it mattered to them, and if such a person does exist, is it likely the car was well maintained or had just been allowed to become a liability?

-bb-

Noble
Mobile Money is one of those mobile short term lending mobs who take just about anything as security.

I will be up in Newcastle this weekend, so if anyone wants me to go and have a look, pls let me know.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
God only knows (and soon BB) as to how good it is

I put my hand up BB ....

I would be interested mate....:D

-bb-

Noble
Ok, will do. I'll ring the place first thing in the morning and see if they are open.

I'll post what I see here, and take some better pics if the seller will let me. If anyone wants to discuss it by phone either while I am there or afterwards, pls PM me your contact number.

Des

seems quite cheap to be any good, but hey maybe it is a bargin, especally if they don't realise it is a 6.9, and not just got the badge stuck on the back.
I notice though the engine number is 100xxxx

OzBenzHead

Master
seems quite cheap to be any good, but hey maybe it is a bargin, especally if they don't realise it is a 6.9, and not just got the badge stuck on the back.
I notice though the engine number is 100xxxx

Whilst pawnbrokers don't rank very highly in my world (only just above regular thieves, actually, but I suppose they do fulfill a need), they are usually interested primarily in covering their costs / losses on unredeemed goods, so tend to sell at low-ish prices with little regard for the actual market value of items they've got their grubby paws on.

Many years ago in Adelaide, a chap left his RR with a pawnbroker, expecting to make the mandatory monthly interest payments while he was overseas - thinking he was getting very cheap storage. The amount he pawned the car for was ridiculously small; he didn't need the money - just the storage.

Owing to a travel-plan hiccup (canceled flights or some such), he was about a week late returning to Adelaide. Back then, in SA, three months was the maximum pawn period, after which default was automatic.

The pawnbroker sold the car for somewhat more than the token amount he'd "lent" the owner of the car - but a relative pittance nonetheless.

The unfortunate fellow lost not only his Royce to the pawnbroker but also lost a subsequent, and expensive, court battle over the affair. The only good to come out of that debacle was a (minor) reform of state pawnbroking regulations.

That 6.9 just might be the bargain of the year.

OP
116Benz

116Benz

I kinda feel like I wanna keep this a secret amongst friends....although ebay kinda contradicts that doesnt it LOL

It would be nice to see someone take care of it and give it a good home. Good luck to the purchaser!

Styria

The Godfather
Engine and Chassis Number confirm that it is indeed a 6.9. Whilst you are in the Newcastle area bb, try and have a look at the Astral Silver 6.9 that's located with Peter Herscheid Restorations at Anna Bay.

That car owes the owner close enough to $13k. and I know he is VERY keen to sell. Regards, Styria

-bb-

Noble
Ok, had look at this yesterday. Turns out that this is a car that I have seen before - about 12 months ago in a car yard for $10k.

The seller knows exactley what it is and he actually told me that it owes him just over $5k (i.e. thats what they loaned against it), but after going around it I said I thought its money was less than that and he reluctanly agreed due to the amount of strategically placed rust it has.

The rust is probably its biggest issue. The back drivers floor has a hole rusted through, there is also some on a couple of the other floors, around the sunroof, some under the paint on the drivers side roof, under some of the doors, what looks like some under the bootlod seal, some under the sills - esp on the edges of the metal and some in a couple of the wheel arches. Looking under the car, especially just behind the front wheels, I wonder whether there has been significant repair or some sort. People work more knowledge than I could better tell.

The paint is very good as is its general presentation. The leather is a bit cracked but not too bad as are the carpets. It has what looks to be new window tint. The sunroof works as do all windows except thew back drivers side. The central locking does not work and neither does the air coonditioning.

I couldnt drive it due to being out of rego, but it started easily (except for the stupid immobaliser it has and a flat battery) and idled smoothly. We started it from cold and it was quite smokey until it warmed up. The motor didnt have any rattles or other noises except for what sounded like a small hole in the exhaust pipe. The auto went into reverse and drive without hesitation and when loaded up against the brakes, didnt seem to be slipping.

The suspension worked very well; it went up and down as required and it was not sitting low prior to being started. I found a receipt in the book for a bit of suspension work a couple of years ago (new pump) but other than that, a bit of documentation and the owners manuals, but nothing that makes up a complete history.

The carpet in the boot was damp and the seals around the car were basically stuffed. It also interesting to note the amount of cobwebs all around it. My overall impression was that it was a well looked after car up until a point in time, after which it has been left to deteriorate.

What I also did was took my video camera (bloody stills camera was flat) and did some filming of the car. As soon as youtube makes it available, I'll post the link here.

If anyone has any specific questions on what I saw or wants a high quality video file, pls let me know.

Last edited:

-bb-

Noble
Here is the video of the car. Pls excuse my crappy camera work and rushed editing. I plucked the important bits of what I filmed and put them together in some sort of order, which is why it seems to jump all over the place. Its still about 8 mins long, however.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi bb, thanks for that splendid and comprehensive report - you must have taken a page out of my book ?:D By the way, you didn't perhaps get a chance to look at the car at Anna Bay ? Thanks again, Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Thanks BB....

And thanks for the telephone call
I appreciated it very much
I hope you had a nice 'ride' back?

-bb-

Noble
Hi bb, thanks for that splendid and comprehensive report - you must have taken a page out of my book ?:D By the way, you didn't perhaps get a chance to look at the car at Anna Bay ? Thanks again, Styria

No probs; I actually enjoy going out and looking at cars, so to be able to do that with a W116 and also assist any interested people here makes it more enjoyable.

...and yes, I have taken a number of pages out of your book in terms of W116 knowledge ;):D

I didnt get time to goto Anna Bay, but I'll do that when im up there again either next weekend or the one after.

-bb-

Noble
Thanks BB....

And thanks for the telephone call
I appreciated it very much
I hope you had a nice 'ride' back?

You are quite welcome.

Didnt ride back, I ended up driving the 6.9 back because the bloke cant do my panel and paint work for at least another week :mad: which sucks because I want to have it back in time to take it up to the Central Coast in April.

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
Hi bb....you could try Michel.....he's very reasonable......

I guess you're feeling a bit 'flat' after going all the way to Newcastle....
My commiserations. Regards, Styria - but we did get a good reporet on the other 6.9 !

-bb-

Noble
Hi bb....you could try Michel.....he's very reasonable......

I guess you're feeling a bit 'flat' after going all the way to Newcastle....
My commiserations. Regards, Styria - but we did get a good reporet on the other 6.9 !

Might have to give Michel an ear bash if I get delayed much more. I am hanging to get this 6.9 upto scratch :D

The panel work was not the only reason for going to Newcastle; me and about 60 other people had a help a lucky couple celebrate their engagement and I also have plenty of family there, so I did some visiting.

J

Jammer

I feel Good!

Hmmm.... that makes me feel a lot better.

When an unregistered, smokey, rust bucket goes for $3,700 - I know mine was good value at $4800

I hope it makes it back to the road!

John