I dont think the seller knows what he's got!

More threads by 116Benz

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Hmmm.... that makes me feel a lot better.

When an unregistered, smokey, rust bucket goes for $3,700 - I know mine was good value at $4800

I hope it makes it back to the road!

John

GOOD VALUE ??? :confused:

Man.. Yours mustave been the buy of the century ! ;)

Congratulations again :D

-bb-

Noble
Engine and Chassis Number confirm that it is indeed a 6.9. Whilst you are in the Newcastle area bb, try and have a look at the Astral Silver 6.9 that's located with Peter Herscheid Restorations at Anna Bay.

That car owes the owner close enough to $13k. and I know he is VERY keen to sell. Regards, Styria

Going to Newcastle this weekend so I'll drop in there and have a squiz if I get a minute. Ofcourse a report of what I see plus some pics (or another video) will be posted here.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Going to Newcastle this weekend so I'll drop in there and have a squiz if I get a minute. Ofcourse a report of what I see plus some pics (or another video) will be posted here.

What a L E G E N D .......

Thanks mate;)

Styria

The Godfather
Hi bb, I would suggest that you ring Herscheid restorations first on 0249-826450 and tell him that Alfred, the owner of the 6.9, wants you to have a look at the car.

Peter can be fairly gruff, and perhaps not always the easiest to get on with. Just look at the car, best not to get involved in negotiations. If you, or anyone else, should be interested in the car, I can put you in touch with the owner. Regards, Styria

-bb-

Noble
Thanks for that Styria, saves me having to look the number up.

I have no plans to talk dollars with anyone there simply because I wouldnt be the one buying it.

I'll just tell them that I'm there to look on behalf of a Sydney buyer, just like I did when I looked at the last one. Its also a good way to justify taking puctures of, or filming the car.

Last edited:

-bb-

Noble
Ok, had a look at the car yesterday and did some filming. Youtube link will be posted as soon as I edit it.

This one is really sad, both from the perspective of its current condition and the fact that it was clearly once a nice car and it has just been left out in the open to rot. It is parked out on the open with the nose under a tree and with cars that are being wrecked all around it.

Apparantly it was taken to its current location for storage purposes, but I wonder whether it has actually been treated as a source of (some) spare parts because the front bar is missing, as are the headlight wipers and the bonnet logo and the badges on the boot.

The bloke who owns the place its located at wasnt much interested in locating the keys or providing some jump start facilities, so I have no idea if it starts, how it runs, whether the suspension pumps up or if anything else works.

There is significant rust around the sunroof, also there is rust around the back window, on the bootlid, on the bottoms of the doors and around various places low on the body such as the sills. I didnt see any rust in the floor under the carpet pannels. Because the car was on its guts and I didnt have the facilities to start it, I couldnt look in the wheel arches or under it.

The sunroof has been sealed up with silastic and the rust holes have been taped over with some sort of tape. The tape was very detiriorated and peeling away, so it aint sealing up much.

It smelt like it has had moisture in it for quite a whole and it had ants everywhere in it as well as what looks like nests made by some sort of rodent. With the seals how they are and with the rust holes around the sunroof, it would have water come in every time it rains.

The paint is obviously in a condition consistant with being out in the open for some time, but was in better condition that I thought it would be. The carpets are ok - ants, smell and moisture aside. The seat leather is ordinary; plenty of cracks and tears.

It has 207000 k's but I have no idea whether that is genuine because I could find no documentation in the car.

I couldnt put a price on this one because I have no idea of it starts, drives and whether anything works. In its current state, I dont think its money is very high at all. That said, I have seen people take on projects that are much worse and given its condition and the fact that the owner wants to sell quite badly, it could be a bargain.

Last edited:
J

Jammer

What a crying shame. Thanks for the video but ... HOW DEPRESSING!!!

It got me to thinking how anybody with a yard full of cars would not know that this car is 30 years old and just might be worth a few more dollars if even a five dollar tarp was put over it. I mean.... stone the crows..... I breaks my heart to see this sort of thing happen.

On pondering a little more I suppose its like many of the aircraft that end up sitting in the Arizona desert in the US. The first time I saw this I shook my head and said to my friendly guide, " How can you let all this money sit out here in the sun?" He explained that an airframe certainly has a dollar value on its own but GETTING and KEEPING an airframe SERVICEABLE is what its all about! At least someone has the good sense to place the airframes in a dry climate where the rust wont kill them.

Here is some food for thought (at this point I should start a new thread).
Suppose we formed a group of 6.9 owners that bought up these cars that are left for dead. Think about it. This car will fetch $1000 - $1500 max (am I wrong??) If we had seven in the group say, a car like this would cost us $200 each. The car is mothballed and when the right person comes along, we set them up with one of our stored cars. We encourage them to take on the car as a project and it returns to the road.

Woops....I cant believe what I just suggested..... I know the idea is full of holes........

I am just keen to find a way to turn around the trashing of these classic machines.

Ill pour a single malt now and calm down....... sorry....:confused:

John

Styria

The Godfather
Hi bb, thank you for that excellent and enlightening report. I hadn't seen the car for three years, but I knew then that it had rust in the roof issues and the owner at that time asked us for a price on fixing it. We declined to take it on - it had overtones of more than one could bargain for.

Little did I realize that the deterioration evident now could occur in such a comparatively short span of time. Alfred, the owner, had approached me a couple of times to see if I was interested, but I declined, but promised to put it on TOPKLASSE - of course, bear in mind, that the site was non-existent and I knew that posting on the other site would result in the post being stripped. I have known of the car being available for about eight months, if not more. In fact, at the time when S-Class was contemplating purchase of a local 6.9, I made him aware that I thought that $2.5k. would clinch it. So, that's how long it dates back.

Rang the owner following bb's report, but I think that he does not really understand what this is all about. Thus, he has decided to bring it back to Sydney, but I have no knowledge of his future plans. The car needs a good panel beater and a loy of dismantling to put it right roof wise - trim, sunroof and sunroof frame out, at least one of the screens and there would be about three to five days of work plus the rust.

So, anyone still thinking about this car, I can put you in touch with the owner. Thanks again, bb, and best regards, Styria

Last edited:

Styria

The Godfather
You know, Jammer, that's quite a brilliant idea in principle. I reckon on about 2-3.5k. to fix the rust in the roof including various removal tasks and paint. However, what about other rust issues ? Michel has an excellent tradesman in Jerry, but he will cost money as well.

You also have the interior to contend with-to what extent can it be saved and/or repaired and/or replaced. I would have a blue interior out of my 'Gleaming Beauty' which is in pretty good (75% condition), but I would want money for it as I would have to turn around and replace it.

I think mechanically the car should be reasonably okay - it performed quite well when I had it three years ago. Next problem you may have is storage and then one would have to sell it. Mind you, if a few of us got together, we could come up with a pretty good car -but it would be easy to overcapitalize. Yes, this is a pretty tricky one. Regards, Styria Sorry about the bold lettering.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi guys, without putting pressure on anyone, including the guy whose name I am going to mention hereunder - I understand that someone by the name of Oscar is sitting on a fighting fund of about $1k. - as well as several (well, a couple) millstones around his neck - could we do something for him ? I would be happy to give him about fifteen hours of my time gratis. Anyone has any further bright ideas ? Styria (again).

-bb-

Noble
I would be happy to organise anything that would be required at its current location. Because I am in that area several times a month, its easy for me to drop in.

Also, if someone wanted it transported, I could organise that. I think my 6.9 and a car float would just about do it :D Failing that, I could probably organise a tilt tray at mates rates.

I too would like to see this one saved and will gladly do what I can to help that happen.

J

Jammer

Yep - me too.

I think perhaps the appropriate thing is for Styria to have a chat to the owner and find out what is going to happen with the car.

I owe Oscar already for some help he has given me so I am happy to throw into the hat to get things rolling if he feels "this is the one". I would also be happy to take a trip up there and get it covered to reduce any further damage by the elements.

John

oscar

Whoa, giddy up whoa giddy up. :eek: :D

Honestly, I saw bb's vid and all I could think of is how would an m100 go with a 350diff in an SE body.

I mean, there's been some amazing resurrections we've seen over the years but I really don't think I could handle one of this size.

Besides, my $1000 fighting fund is about to be gobbled up once again. I've been holding onto it for as long as I can, been buying tools and parts and things for the 350 on the side but now I need new spheres. I've got to spend a week in Wagga for work in April and I'm seriously considering chucking in the towel once again and giving the car away to my mechanic in Wagga for a week. The spheres I might still do myself but there's a few other things that I'd rather a pro do. It'll be like pressing the reset button and having a smooth running car again, a clean slate for me to continue improving the little things on.

A cheap 6.9 interests me but I kinda like the look of the white one in Melb still. But too many other things to attend to first.

Styria

The Godfather
Thanks heaps guys - it was a bit of a long shot, but nevertheless it just indicates what we think of 'that guy' down in Griffith. I've got my eyes on another 6.9 that I have been trying 'nibble away on' for several months now and hopefully something will happen soon - not before time. Regards Styria

OP
116Benz

116Benz

That 6.9 isnt too bad at all, The buyer did score a bargain.

Styria

The Godfather
That must be the first car that bb had a look at - am I correct in assuming this ? Regards Styria

-bb-

Noble
Yes - I am talking about the 6.9 in the ebay auction linked to in my post above and in the first post of this thread.