Very curious 6.9

More threads by s class

s class

Des posted the following photo in his thread on wheels. I remarked that it was a euro, as evidenced by oil cooler, and the bumpers and headlights.

Now I've just noticed - its a 6.9!! check the suspension tank.

but that motor is clearly not a 6.9. Looks like a 5 banger diesel. Would that be a OM 617? Still appears to have XWX's as well.

The blacked out chrome makes one suspicious that the car may also have had some provenance thanks to AMG. Not the most obvious choice of engine conversion for such a car.

6.9er%20mit%20Dieselmotor_2.jpg

B13

Great photo - I didn't pick it as a 6.9 when I 1st saw the photo Des posted. Its also got the oil filler on the inner-guard next to the battery. Definately a 6.9

So whats in it?

I can't tell the motor (not being familiar with any MB engines other than the 110, 116/117 and 100) but could it possibly be a 300SE/L engine from a late model W126? I'd reckon turbo-charged that engine should be easily able to keep up with a V8. All I know about the 300SE engine is that is single cam and inline 6...

I.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Definitly a 5 cyl.... count the number of spark plugs

Des

No I know
;)

Ryan said it might be a diesel, was just following along from your observation

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
No I know
;)

Ryan said it might be a diesel, was just following along from your observation

Indeed....
Apologies accepted... :p

OP
s class

s class

Diesels don't have 5 spark plugs, but they have 5 glow plugs.....

116Benz

It's an OM617 Diesel, withough seeing the other side...could be a 450SEL 6.9 3.0D Turbo. I understand why...but then I also dont understand why. :rolleyes:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
It's an OM617 Diesel, withough seeing the other side...could be a 450SEL 6.9 3.0D Turbo. I understand why...but then I also dont understand why. :rolleyes:

Only the owner knew his situation.....

Could have been a case of the 6.9 packing it up and the guy could not afford to rebuild it or replace it....

But that donk was available at the right price...

Who knows..

W

Wolfgang

The german owner placed an advertisement in a market, that he installed an OM617 in a 6.9 chassis and has now problems with the completion. He is searching for help to finish the project. :rolleyes:

Wolfgang

Last edited:

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
The german owner placed an advertisement in a market, that he installed an OM617 in a 6.9 chassis and has know problems with the completion. He is searching for help to finish the project. :rolleyes:

Wolfgang

So this is a current project?
Is it in Germany?

Des

The german owner placed an advertisement in a market, that he installed an OM617 in a 6.9 chassis and has know problems with the completion. He is searching for help to finish the project. :rolleyes:

Wolfgang

Can imagine all sorts of problems you would have,

have to change the suspension out with springs,
different vacum lines for the diesel engine.

would be a huge headache.

W

Wolfgang

Yes, the owner is from Germany, but i don´t know him.

Wolfgang

116Benz

Begs the question though, there US spec 300SD's over in Germany isnt there? Why not just get one of those?

W

Wolfgang

I think he would combinate the fabulous suspension with the most economical machine. Maybe the chassis is in good condition (with rare options?).

Last edited:

Des

Begs the question though, there US spec 300SD's over in Germany isnt there? Why not just get one of those?

I thought they were only sold to the North American market?
granted they are LHD same as Germany, so I guess they could and would have been imported back to Germany at some stage.

116Benz

Thats what I was getting at, I've seen some Dutch registered SD's...