260E Mercedes for sale

More threads by 260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
I will try and test the waters and see if I can try and sell the 260E.

For MBCNSW Members who receive the magazine you will see my 260E featured in the next issue of the Club magazine for sale.

Details of the car:

1990 260E W124 E-Class 2.6ltr straight six automatic.
M103 engine.

Service history, good condition and well looked after car.

Astral silver in colour with grey MB-TEX interior.

Update model with the body coloured bumpers.

Freezing cold a/cond, p/windows, sunroof, c/lock, ABS, p/steering.

Recent gearbox overhaul 6 months ago carried out by Independent Mercedes Mechanic in Newcastle.

12 new hydraullic lifters fitted 18 months ago also carried out at Independent Mercedes Mechanic fitted new tappet and rocker cover gasket.

New engine mounts.

4 new shock absorbers fitted Bilstein and Sachs European shocks were fitted.

New exhaust fitted 6 months ago.

New Welsh plugs fitted as well.

New front windscreen fitted at Novus windscreens 6 months ago.

Good tyres, no rust.

Recently fitted amber front and rear Bosch indicator and tail light lenses.

2011 MBCNSW Concours Class 13 Runner Up Award & Trophy winning car.

I will be very sad to part with "Melvin Mercedes", named in honour of my late Father.

I have always wanted to own a W126 Mercedes and I think a 300SEL would be just what I am after.

Please see attached advertisment for you to view price is also listed with the advertisment and contact details as well.

Cheers Tim.

Attachments

• 227 Autumn page 47 Tim Leese.pdf
    86.4 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:

WGB

I wish you luck with your sale.

As a proud owner of a nautik-Blau 126 300SE for 5 years - twenty or more years ago it can be a lovely car.

Why do you need an SEL - most were SE's and they are much easier to park with quite adequate rear leg room.

Performance should be similar to your 260E.

Bill

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Hello Bill,

Well I sat in the back of a Neighbours 1987 420SEL many years ago and I was very impressed with the leg room it was like sitting in a lounge room so comfortable!

I have test driven a 1988 300SE sadly way out of my budget at the car was not worth the asking price when I drove the 300SE back in 2007 when I was in Albury NSW.

Of course I will have to sell the 260E to purchase a 300SEL I do not need two Mercedes.

Would love more than one but not enough room and one Mercedes just for me is more than enough.

260E and 300SEL both have the M103 engine the 300SEL is just a slightly larger bore capacity which is a 3ltr engine compared to the 260E it is 2.6ltr.

Cheers.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Good Luck with the sale Tim

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Thanks Michel.

May I ask what do you and others think of the price I am asking?

I wonder if I can locate a 300SEL W126 that is as good as the 260E?

Cheers.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Tim,

The price of used Benzes has dropped considerably.

That means your 260E is worth less and consequently the 300SEL would also be worth less than when you checked it out last time.

My question has always been: why a 300SE or SEL when you can get a decent V8 for the same amount, if not cheaper and for hardly any more consumption.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Tim,

The price of used Benzes has dropped considerably.

That means your 260E is worth less and consequently the 300SEL would also be worth less than when you checked it out last time.

My question has always been: why a 300SE or SEL when you can get a decent V8 for the same amount, if not cheaper and for hardly any more consumption.

Good point about the price of Benze's the prices have dropped.

Plenty of W126 for sale that is for sure but finding the right one that's the challenge.

Mind you I had the same challenge after selling the 230E but after spending enough time looking for a Benz in the end it was worth the wait.

Consider the maintenance cost of a W126 I imagine the S-Class do cost more in repairs and parts is that the case say compared to a E-Class W124?

We all know there is no such thing as a cheap Mercedes!

Prefer the 6cyl engine Michel enough performance for me and the SEL- long wheel base is the model I am after.

SEL will fit in the carport here at home well Dad's green 280SEL W116 use to fit perfectly and the carport is covered with a roof which is a real bonus.

Just love the shape of the W126 and it has always been a dream car of mine.

But of course I can not put the horse before the cart I must first sell the 260E.

Appreciate your opinion Michel and everyone here on the Forum.

Cheers guys.

Last edited:

WGB

It is a fair comment about six vs V8 costs.

My 300SE would run about 24mpg on a trip and 18mpg around town - with a bit of a leadfoot.

The 300 motor will sing and rev to 6,600 very happily while the 420 motor is saddled with moonshot gearing to help economy - probably not greatly different in economy.

The 560 has power and torque to spare at the expense of extra petrol consumption.

THe V8's are probably at the same or slightly better level of reliability so long as the timing chain and tensioners have been done and the all alloy motor hasn't been cooked at any stage.

Bill

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Forgot to mention I had a new BEHR radiator fitted to the car 12 months ago.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
It is a fair comment about six vs V8 costs.

My 300SE would run about 24mpg on a trip and 18mpg around town - with a bit of a leadfoot.

The 300 motor will sing and rev to 6,600 very happily while the 420 motor is saddled with moonshot gearing to help economy - probably not greatly different in economy.

The 560 has power and torque to spare at the expense of extra petrol consumption.

THe V8's are probably at the same or slightly better level of reliability so long as the timing chain and tensioners have been done and the all alloy motor hasn't been cooked at any stage.

Bill

I was speaking to my Mechanic today he use to have a burgundy 1987 300SEL he could not speak highly enough of the 300SEL.

Sadly Perry lost his beloved 300SEL in the Newcastle floods!

Perry's son has a 420SEL V8 and the 300SEL is a much better car Perry thinks a 300SEL would be the right W126 to buy.

WGB

I must say at the time I had my 300SE I drove a 420SEL and was quite underwhelmed - quite disappointed really.

My 300 felt much more alive.

That was soon fixed by two drives in a 560SEC - they felt very alive.

Bill

Tony66_au

Having driven and owned a 300SEL I can vouch for the difference between the 3 lt 6 and the small V8's, the 6 is more lively by a long shot and if you tromp the loud pedal (Hoonspeak for Accelerator) and happen to floor it the 1st gear takeoff is impressive as hell, the auto is also crisper and more responsive when compared to the V8's until you get to the 500SEL which is IMO better than the 560.

I also believe that your chances of getting an unmolested W126 these days is far higher with the 6 cylinders than with the V8's which seem to have had a harder life in the 20 years since they were last made and id recommend a late 80's model over an early to mid 80's model.

I did over 380'000 glorious Km in mine before it reached its 7 year age limit for the work I was giving it and the car had well over half a million on the odo by then and was still a delight.

They are an under estimated gem and id own a nice one again in a heartbeat.

abl567

Super Moderator
I'm averaging 21.08 mpg from my '86 420SEL and 17.4 mpg from Six 3 on my, mainly rural, commute to work, and think that is a reflection on the torque available from each engine. In the 420 you need to use a lot more throttle for a longer time to leave the masses behind, in the 6.3 you extend the big toe and you're gone. My point, torque = driveability = lower revs = lower consumption. Tim, get a V8, the exhaust note when you are up it is worth it!

Oversize

Grand Master
Pesonally I'd be looking at resale value and I think the 560 is a far better choice (plus it sounds better)!!! ;)

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Thanks guys your info is food for thought that is for sure.

Heart is set on a 6cyl 300SEL I have to say.

Cheers.

WiSeGuYY

Hi TIM & ALL , I totally agree with Dr. BILL about the SE and i prefer it over the SEL unless you have a DRIVER and you prefer to sit in the rear seat ( which i don't think it is the case) , my w126 which i own for over 22 years now and drove it with and without a driver ( still do at times) is much balanced that SEL which gives the extra room for the back seat .
Mine is 85 model of 6 cylender ( a bit noisey than 300 but more durable) .
Again if i go for V8 than 560 is the choice not the 380 nor 420 as it gives more evrything than you wish for.

REGARDS

TAREK

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Hello Lukas,

If I had more garage space and a the extra cash I would have more than 1 Mercedes for sure.

Could always part with the Toyota Yaris but the owner won't have a bar of that she didn't hear me say that either!

Thanks Lukas for the comment about having good resolve.

Cheers.