260E Mercedes for sale

More threads by 260ebenz

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
I think what Mark is getting at is why didn't your mechanic spot the damage when he last worked on the car and i have to admit I wondered the same thing.

Very good point Tony I am not impressed that is for sure!

None the less new parts- ball joints will be fitted on Wednesday do the rego inspection again off to the NRMA then the RTA happy motoring.

Cheers.

Oversize

Grand Master
Now why didn't I put it that way??? :) Tim you did well having them replaced so cheaply and it'll be a worthwhile investment.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Mark I did get 3 quotes for new ball joints.

Local MB Dealership only had 1 left hand ball joint in stock and the ball joints were $147.50 each I would have to order a second ball joint and wait for it to arrive.

Interesting the Dealership only had 1 ball joint in stock.

Quote from Independent MB Mechanic in Newcastle quoted me $70 each for the ball joints 1hr 30mins labour for each ball joint.

Second Independent Mechanic also in Newcastle quoted me $100 each for the ball joints.

I did also ring MB parts suppliers in Sydney some had no ball joints for sale 'sorry none in stock' or only had one ball joint for sale.

So various prices for the ball joints.

Local Mechanic- Ison Mechanical quoted me $55 each for the ball joints 1hr 30mins each ball joint to be replaced, wheel alignment.

3 other quotes did not include a wheel alignment I would have had to take the Mercedes somewhere else to have the wheel alignment carried out.

I do not have to drive to Newcastle to have the repairs done saves me money in petrol which is 1hr drive each way in travelling.

Since yesterday I did notice the wear in the ball joints whilst driving the car and when the Mechanic showed me the movement and vibration in the front tyres I was surprised to see wear in the ball joints.

260E was on the hoist for the rego inspection Mechanic showed me the wear in the ball joints now I know what worn out ball joints look like.

Well after this Wednesday NO more unwanted movement and vibration from the worn out ball joints new parts fitted can't wait!

Cheers.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
This 1990 300SE caught my eye this morning!

http://britishandcontinentalcars.com.au/our-cars

300SE advertised with 111,579kms asking price $8,500.

Contacted the dealer selling the 300SE I wonder what price the dealer will offer me for my 260E as a trade-in?

To be honest I am not a fan of white coloured cars hate to be fussy white exterior colour could take some getting use to.

Cheers.

BN11UH_1.jpg

BN11UH_2.jpg

BN11UH_3.jpg

BN11UH_4.jpg

Last edited:

Tony66_au

Its VERY White mate, I always found the colour coded bumpers detracted from the overall looks and IMO should be done either 2 tone or have a break on the horizontal.

Nice to see it has a Becker though and it is very clean looking inside

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Colours are to individual tastes.

I think it looks stunning....;)

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Agree Tony the 300SE is very white.

Really would prefer a darker exterior colour either blue, champagne or smoke silver.

Spoken to the dealer at British & Continential I gave him details of my 260E kms, rego, features, etc.

Guy from the dealer is going to call me back and let me know the trade-in price for my 260E.

I have sent the guy photos of my 260E.

Andrew car dealer told me about the service history of the 300SE see below.

Dear Tim,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding our Mercedes Benz 300SE Sedan.
The vehicle has been in the one family since new and is in exceptional condition throughout.
The vehicle was delivered new by Marshall Motors on 26/03/1990 and has had regular authorised Mercedes Benz servicing throughout until the passing of the original owner. The last service was at 101700 klms by a European service centre in Balgowlah NSW.

Last service was 10,000kms ago interesting hopefully no surprises when the 300SE has it's next 10,000km service?

300SE has been serviced by Mercedes dealerships which include G-Star and Mercedes at Wagga.

Will wait to hear back from Andrew.

Like I said the colour of the 300SE is not really my favourite colour for a Mercedes.

Keep you posted guys.

Cheers Tim.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Thanks Brian.

Anyone dealt with the car dealership in question before?

10,000kms since last service quite interesting for a 22 year old car hopefully no unexpected surprises when the 300SE is serviced saying the car 300SE has travelled low kilometres.

Mercedes service history is a bonus to.

I think of white cars as Hire Cars or Wedding cars exterior colour like I said not my favourite colour.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I have heard only good reports about British and Continental but I have never bought anything from them.
There will usually be a surprise or two with a second hand car (look at your recent rego experience) so don't be alarmed if you buy a car and then find it needs work - most do.
As to colour, if you don't like the colur then don't buy it. You have to live with and it is important that the colour is right for you.
Regards,
Brian

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
I have heard only good reports about British and Continental but I have never bought anything from them.
There will usually be a surprise or two with a second hand car (look at your recent rego experience) so don't be alarmed if you buy a car and then find it needs work - most do.
As to colour, if you don't like the colur then don't buy it. You have to live with and it is important that the colour is right for you.
Regards,
Brian

Thanks for the info about the car dealership Brian would appreciate other Members opinion as well.

Good point about a surprise or two with a second hand car just like my 260E last week oh well that issue will be addressed this week.

Find out the trade-in valuation first and then decide what to do next should know by tomorrow the trade-in price.

I guess I should not hold my breath waiting to hear the car dealers valuation?

I don't want to sound like I am being negative or talking down my own car!

Just if the 300SE were a blue, champagne or smoke silver colour more appealing.

Cheers Tim.

BenzBoy

Grand Master
A car dealer must make a profit and will offer you less than you want so they can then sell your trade-in at an appropriate price and make a profit. That is normal business.
British and Continental has been around for many years and as the stock of British and Italian cars dried up they moved into selling second-hand Volvos. I looked at an Adenauer Benz there and they were very open about its issues. In general B and C have a solid reputation but bear in mind that any dealer is there to make a profit and they must do that to survive. It's all part of the horse-trading that goes on.
White with light grey interior is not an easy colour combination to sell so if you were thinking you would sell it in the near future, then you could be caught with a car that has limited appeal. On the other hand, the photos and low mileage indicate it could make an excellent councours car. It's the sort I would buy if I had the room to garage it.
I would buy it strictly as a show car but that's a luxury I can't justify at the moment - I have too many things stored in other peoples' garages to add to the collection...
Regards,
Brian

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I have to concur with the Professor here!

If you don't like the colour, then don't bother...
Like Brian said YOU have to look at it and live with it.

I'm with the Professor. I love white cars.

Good Luck Tim

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I have to concur with the Professor here!

If you don't like the colour, then don't bother...
Like Brian said YOU have to look at it and live with it.

I'm with the Professor. I love white cars.

Good Luck Tim
And chocolate brown...one of our directors parks his S500 near me in the car park. Chocolate brown with deep cream interior and chocolate piping (it's a Designo version) is a combination that makes it look good enough to want to lick. OK - it looks like a chocolate and vanilla gelato. I not weird. Really I'm not...:p
Regards,
Brian

Oversize

Grand Master
Prepare to be disappointed with your trade in Tim. Even though you have a very nice car and it's a much loved example, trade in values are always pretty pathetic! It doesn't matter what car it is, it's just the way the dealers operate. Basically there's a price to pay for removing the headache of selling a car privately.... :(

I do like the white and it appears to be very well kept. But it's not my favorite colour..... When I was looking for an AU I had a choice of silver or navy. The silver one was cheaper and already on LPG. But I preferred the blue and liked it's wheels better. After kicking myself a little over the extra dollars I paid, I don't regret it now. A GF is still convinced I regularly polish the car, but I've only ever washed it! For me though it definitely needs a polish now; if only I could find the time!!! ;)

Last edited:
OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Appreciate your opinion guys I will wait to hear from the car dealer- Andrew in regards to his offer like I said I won't hold my breath with the price.

Then I will make my decision.

Keep you posted guys!

Tony66_au

On the bright side it is the very last of the 126's, My 300SEL was an 89 MY and was a great car.

For what its worth though I don't think the Photo's do it justice.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
On the bright side it is the very last of the 126's, My 300SEL was an 89 MY and was a great car.

For what its worth though I don't think the Photo's do it justice.

Thought 1991 was the very last of the W126 to be made??

300SE does have leather seats, drivers airbag and electric seats which suit me.

Have not heard from the car dealer Andrew it's only early though.

OP
260ebenz

260ebenz

Master
Andrew from British & Continential just called no mention of price for my 260E trade-in valuation.

Andrew said he will contact me tomorrow.

Well guys what do you think question is why call me and not mention a trade-in price for my Mercedes?

Cheers.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Andrew from British & Continential just called no mention of price for my 260E trade-in valuation.
Andrew said he will contact me tomorrow.
Well guys what do you think question is why call me and not mention a trade-in price for my Mercedes?
Cheers.

He's obviously trying hard for you Tim, otherwise he wouldn't have called.

He might be trying to 'place' your car with another dealer, thus it's taking him time to try and get you the best price he can.

Patience glasshopper :D