Winton April 6, 2008

More threads by B13

OP
B

B13

A 1:58 is excellent for a 1st timer at Winton. I put it all down to the tyres and the practice on them at Sutton the week before.

It was at the end of the 2nd heat that we noticed there was a hole in the sticky rubber outer carcass of one of the rear tyres, so consequently knowing this the 3rd heat probably wan't pushed as hard as the 2nd heat.

I posted my best time while chasing down a VX SS Commodore with Gen III V8 and 6 speed manual.

Typically during sprints best times are achieved when you have a goal in mind (passing car in front) instead of the generally accepted theory that if you have a clear line in front (no cars in front of you) you achieve better times. I put this down to adrenalin being more effective while chasing someone. Cam will agree.

Ian.

SELfor50

A 1:58 is excellent for a 1st timer at Winton. I put it all down to the tyres and the practice on them at Sutton the week before.

It was at the end of the 2nd heat that we noticed there was a hole in the sticky rubber outer carcass of one of the rear tyres, so consequently knowing this the 3rd heat probably wan't pushed as hard as the 2nd heat.

I posted my best time while chasing down a VX SS Commodore with Gen III V8 and 6 speed manual.

Typically during sprints best times are achieved when you have a goal in mind (passing car in front) instead of the generally accepted theory that if you have a clear line in front (no cars in front of you) you achieve better times. I put this down to adrenalin being more effective while chasing someone. Cam will agree.

Ian.

Cheers Mav's! Definately the practise the week before. I was pretty stoked to see those times. And those times were generated while chasing down that XD Falcon. Forget clean air, I need someone in front of me.. Then the aim to pull away is good fun driving too.

3rd heat definately wasn't pushed as hard - too worried bout the inside tyre through penrite and the 3rd hairpin along there.

Can't wait for Phillip island or Sandown!

oscar

Phillip Island, Sandown? You keep getting further and further away:D

So I was thinking after seeing that vid whether an LSD was needed on an open track. Clearly yes from what you guys are saying. I'm still impressed the 450 can smoke em up. Thing is though, the 350 couldn't. Squeal yes but not smoke. I know, I've been trying it out the last few days on some choice roads in Wagga:D And no, I don't have an LSD. Be good if it did but obviously not needed for a w116 350.

I reckon the 107 350 LSD will be a great match too. Better gearing plus the LSD factor. From my few times driving the 280, it's real easy sending all the power through one rear wheel. In the end I reckon it was a smart move not to take on a 280 diff matched to the m117 engine.

OP
B

B13

Oscar, when you're ready to try your hand at this crazy sport I'm sure Cam's will be more than happy to help with all his rapidly-learned knowledge to bring you up to speed (pardon the pun) and competing with a crazy 280S.

Believe me, even the M116 engine if floored thru those esses will break traction on the inside wheel as although it doesn't look it on the video, the cars on quite a lean, all the weight on the outside wheels. If you are doing more than 3500rpm (which you should be coming thru them, otherwise you're in the wrong gear) your single-spinner will do a sterling job at breaking traction of the inside wheel.

I.

SELfor50

Finally got some video up:

#1 of the series f*kd out uploading but should be up by the morning.

#3 is uploading now....

So here's #2 - ENJOY! ;)

http://www.youtube.com/v/RSWUdyfsdb0

Last edited:

oscar

Mate I forgot about the longer vids from Winton. Loved it. I'll keep an eye out for the others.

We gotta do something about headrest-cams :D I kept getting disorientated after the curves thinking you were powersliding off the track. Don't know what the answer is except that dash one you showed me on ebay otherwise I can imagine a ####pit one with suspension of some kind like used for this one, might cost a $$$$load.

PS; c0ckpit got cesnsored :confused:

SELfor50

Mate I forgot about the longer vids from Winton. Loved it. I'll keep an eye out for the others.

We gotta do something about headrest-cams :D I kept getting disorientated after the curves thinking you were powersliding off the track. Don't know what the answer is except that dash one you showed me on ebay otherwise I can imagine a ####pit one with suspension of some kind like used for this one, might cost a $$$$load.

PS; c0ckpit got cesnsored :confused:

I know dude, it annoys me too cause I know what the view was out the front... :eek: It's a great angle for the overtaking manouvre on the XD Falcon though!! :D

In the coming months i'll be getting a camera kit detailed below:

From a workmate:
----------------------------------------------------------------------
They are $600 + delivery for the kit.

CameraKit.jpg

The kit includes:
- Picture-in-picture processor (with remote)
- 3x 420tv line CCD waterproof bullet cameras
- 3x 10 meter bullet camera extension power/video signal leads
- Pre-amplified microphone
- Cigarette lighter power supply
- Power splitter lead
- All connectors required (including 7x BNC to RCA connectors)
- Quick setup instruction manual

The processor will do the 2x picture-in-picture as seen in these videos, or 1x as well.

All you need is an audio video recording device that takes AV in. I use a camcorder sitting in the glove box.

All components are brand new and have been fully tested.

I have one kit ready to go, and will take orders after that. First in best dressed!

A few vids:

motokhana: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWNpmQFQTL8

khanacross: 2 | 3 | 4

autocross: 1 | 2

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The camera kit looks the goods. And for the price it should be sweet.
But it does still need a device to record to within the car. Eg. it's only the controller and camera / mounts included. I'd preferably go with a flash drive / card setup to record to..no moving parts that way.

SELfor50

oscar

Took me a while to finally see this one at work earlier today. Loved it:cool: Also watched some in car cams of Porsches. I'm surprised how tight that s-bend is coming on to the straight. What sort of speeds were getting up to? ie both of you and what sort of speed were you doing in front of the camera posi?

BTW, I heard from a mate in Syd who's a Holden nut that said rumours are/were/is that Oran Park in Sydney is closing down which should see Goulburn's track see a few more Sydney based folk there on a day trip racing. Not only that, the guy who owns Winton has bought Goulburn. True/False or NFI?:D

SELfor50

Took me a while to finally see this one at work earlier today. Loved it:cool: Also watched some in car cams of Porsches. I'm surprised how tight that s-bend is coming on to the straight. What sort of speeds were getting up to? ie both of you and what sort of speed were you doing in front of the camera posi?

BTW, I heard from a mate in Syd who's a Holden nut that said rumours are/were/is that Oran Park in Sydney is closing down which should see Goulburn's track see a few more Sydney based folk there on a day trip racing. Not only that, the guy who owns Winton has bought Goulburn. True/False or NFI?:D

I would've been doing about 65-70 through the esses, then as I change to 2nd gear passing the camera i'd be doing 95-100.....

NFI bout the tracks mate.. :confused: But I look forward to racing at wakefield in the coming months. I'm hoping to make it to a BMW Club day on the 31st August. (maybe the Sydney krew of topklasse could make it for that one?) I'd love to pit the ol' girl up against some older bimmers. :D

ADMIN: If possible, have a squiz at the video link from a post or 2 ago..there's a few words for the sponsors. :rolleyes: