Tyres

More threads by BenzBoy

motec 6.9

Prodigal Son
Nice to know Brian it is the reason I bought the Penta rims for my car. As I do like the original Bundt rims.

6.9forever

Noble
The factory-original tyre placard on the driver's door pillar of my 6.9 states maximum load rating 1610 lbs, which is 730kg or load rating 97.

The current-day Michelin XWX 215/70VR14 is rated at 92W (630kg/tyre) and the 215/70VR15 at 90W (600kg/tyre). See PneusCollection_broch2015_GB.pdf at http://www.michelinclassic.com/en/Classic-Tyre-range

The permissible total weight for the 116.036 (450SEL6.9) is 2420kg which averages 605kg/tyre so the 14" XWX @ 630kg as above passes.

Even over the front axle where the max. permissible load is 1245kg or 622.5kg per side at the front, the 14" XWX passes.

I do not have information as to whether Michelin de-rated the XWX at some stage in the past from 97 to 92-14"/90-15".

A letter from Daimler might address the conflict between the 40 year-old placard and the mathematics as presented above to the satisfaction of Australian roads authorities and/or insurers.

For originality I would prefer the Michelin XWX. It also passes the common sense test. I hope Australian roads authorities see the sense in this too.

6.9forever

Noble
... just went and checked the 14" XWX fitted to the car (far from new). They are marked 710kg (96 load rating) so Michelin has de-rated at some stage.

Styria

The Godfather
... just went and checked the 14" XWX fitted to the car (far from new). They are marked 710kg (96 load rating) so Michelin has de-rated at some stage.

Would that be because of softer sidewalls ? I know for sure that "earlier" XWXs were far heavier than "new constructions" ones - I know because I had both types in my hand and the earlier tyre was certainly quite a bit more 'solid'. Regards Styria

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Would that be because of softer sidewalls ? I know for sure that "earlier" XWXs were far heavier than "new constructions" ones - I know because I had both types in my hand and the earlier tyre was certainly quite a bit more 'solid'. Regards Styria

Could it be that the earlier tyre had dried and became harder, thus giving the 'solid' feel?

SEL_69L

Aristocrat
I have 225 x 60 VR15's on genuine Mercedes wheels (not Bundts), for the W126.
If not standard wheels, make sure that the wheel offset is to specification, to retain zero offset steering. Steering bushes will also have their life shortened if the wheel offset varies from standard.

With zero offset steering, the axis of the king pin passes through the centre of the contact patch on the road.

Styria

The Godfather
Benz Boy and Michel, both tyres were brand new - had never been on a car. BTW, I haven't used tyre black for years. Nowadays it's spray on and let dry. Regards. Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Construction of tyres is now different; the sidewalls have more flex and the carcass is both lighter and stronger. I found this in my research for suitable new tyres for the PV and one issue I had to avoid was too much sidewall bowing-out to keep the sidewalls from touching the dress rims. This has driven some PIV-PV-PVI owners back to the original Dunlop Fort cross-ply tyres. In search of better handling and predictable braking I went with Cooper SUV tyres as the Michelin 8.90 x 15 tyres I scrapped are not available.
Regards,
Brian

Oversize

Grand Master
I just thought I'd add some previous tyre experiences and recent observations:
The Bridgestone RE002s were a great tyre. However they didn't last as long as I'd hoped. The RE003s should be great if you can get them in the size you're after, but they're more $$ than Michelins! Michelins will grip well like Pirellis, Yokohamas and Contis but they're all expensive and will wear out quickly. Dunlops and Goodyears are horrible and I can't imagine how bad no-name tyres would be.... I just bought a set of Toyo Nanoenergy 3s and I was very happy to discover they're extremely smooth and quiet with good grip. They were well priced (buy 3 get 1 free plus they're cheap anyway) and it remains to be seen how long they'll last on my Fairmont which is driven daily.

sean sherry

Master
Recently a Tyre outlet advised me that it was the Load Rating that determined compliance for Insurance .. not Speed Rating ????????

Oversize

Grand Master
It really depends on your state regulations but generally that is correct. The minimum here is 'S' (180kmh) but if you choose to fit re-treads and they comply with the Australian Standards the rating can be even lower (they fit them to taxis)! :eek: It all relates to the (low) speed limits here....

Oversize

Grand Master
The Toyos ended up being horribly noisy to the extent I thought I had a chewed out wheel bearing! I just replaced them with Dunlop’s (which I swore I’d never do since my last ones didn’t last long), but Bridgestone no longer make the size I needed in the models I mentioned before. Other models & other brands didn’t impress so let’s see how these go... So far very quiet n smooth! 450k kms & hopefully they’ll be good for at least 50k kms.

6-F41479-D-EAC6-46-F5-84-EB-AF36-C5-E0711-F.jpg

802-C0-AEA-6615-4859-BBA1-596-FBC4937-D8.jpg

A4433840-3-E0-B-495-A-AB46-DCA554029-D12.jpg

EEE1-F8-C0-D7-F1-4-B7-B-B34-D-872-A5-C0200-CF.jpg

braminator123

Aficionado
Gday Gentlemen,

My car previously had Dunlop Sport LM703 205/70/14. Good value at $100 per corner but squealed like a pig around corners and roundabouts.

Recently upgraded to Michelin XWX 205/70/14 from Stuckey Tyre Service of Melbourne. With stiff sidewalls, period correct look including the tread with updated modern rubber compound.

The ride is without compare and well worth indulging in.

Happy motoring.

Attachments

• IMG_20210828_193428.jpg
    IMG_20210828_193428.jpg
    695 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

c107

and 111/116/124/126
Gday Gentlemen,

My car previously had Dunlop Sport LM703 205/70/14. Good value at $100 per corner but squealed like a pig around corners and roundabouts.

Recently upgraded to Michelin XWX 205/70/14 from Stuckey Tyre Service of Melbourne. With stiff sidewalls, period correct look including the tread with updated modern rubber compound.

The ride is without compare and well worth indulging in.

Happy motoring.
I've heard these were very good tyres but never experienced them.
Are the prices from Stuckey's reasonable?

I'm still trying to work out what tyres to put on the new Penta wheels I got for my 450SLC.

braminator123

Aficionado
I've heard these were very good tyres but never experienced them.
Are the prices from Stuckey's reasonable?

I'm still trying to work out what tyres to put on the new Penta wheels I got for my 450SLC.
$573 per tyre. I justify it on the basis that I don't have a whole stable full of cars!

c107

and 111/116/124/126
$573 per tyre. I justify it on the basis that I don't have a whole stable full of cars!
Ouch.
I think it would make more sense for me if I drove a lot more kilometers. I would want to get the full 40,000km over 10 years out the tyres at that price I think. Michelin don't make even their regular tyres in the sizes I want though.

I wonder if they would sell a whole lot more if they sold them for $300 per corner? Probably make up some economies of scale too.

braminator123

Aficionado
Ouch.
I think it would make more sense for me if I drove a lot more kilometers. I would want to get the full 40,000km over 10 years out the tyres at that price I think. Michelin don't make even their regular tyres in the sizes I want though.

I wonder if they would sell a whole lot more if they sold them for $300 per corner? Probably make up some economies of scale too.
Agreed got to get mileage out of those tyres. I average probably 5-6000km per annum.

An indulgence for me, I just enjoy marvelling at there beauty on the original bundt alloys and can do so for the next 10 odd years until the next set! I replaced my spare too!

What size pentas do you have?

I think the Michelin XWX price astounds most people. A price around $400 would see greater uptake and obviously the promotion from having more cars shod in Michelin XWX.

Presumably the business case sets out that given many European classic high performance cars were shod in Michelin XWX and that the price of these cars globally has rocketed in value, owners will not blink at buying Michelin XWX as they need to maintain the correct specification for their ever appreciating classics. So Michelin can justify the high price per tyre.

Last edited: