Tyres

More threads by BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Probably not for the Maxxis crowd as a variety of sizes is already available here; more for those looking for an odd size or a European brand. Longstone Tyres of the UK have been appointed official distributors for a range of companies in Australia and NZ - http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/
In the past carriage to Australia has been expensive but that has been solved and special order tyres will be forward-loaded with existing stock to keep down the price.
I ordered 4 Avon Turbosteel ( 235/70V/15 ) today and the cost landed in Sydney is $200 less per tyre than for those available locally. Worth a thought if you want something European for your W116.
Regards,
Brian

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Probably not for the Maxxis crowd as a variety of sizes is already available here; more for those looking for an odd size or a European brand. Longstone Tyres of the UK have been appointed official distributors for a range of companies in Australia and NZ - http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/
In the past carriage to Australia has been expensive but that has been solved and special order tyres will be forward-loaded with existing stock to keep down the price.
I ordered 4 Avon Turbosteel ( 235/70V/15 ) today and the cost landed in Sydney is $200 less per tyre than for those available locally. Worth a thought if you want something European for your W116.
Regards,
Brian

Excellent site, although one 205/70VR14 Michelin XWX is priced at £284.00, while a 215/70VR14 Michelin XWX is £319.50.

I think I'll stick to my Maxxis ;) Maxxis MA-P1 205/70R14 95H.
The four at less than the cost of one Michelin.

However, please don't take that in an offensive manner Professor.:eek:
Your information is very valuable for those looking for that rare tyre!

Styria

The Godfather
Indeed, presently we have a Lamborghini Espada in our workshop, and it sports (I think) 15 inch tyres - round about the size of the Michelins BenzBoy refers to. I'll see if I can get more info on this subject matter. Regards Styria

Oversize

Grand Master
We're not exactly spoilt for choice.... :eek::confused:

Styria

The Godfather
The last post - nice memories of our very special Egyptian member now no longer with us - how very sad and one also wonders what, indeed, has happened to his projects. Anyway, I would like to speak about tyres that I recently bought from Tyre Kingdom, situated at North Parramatta, phone 9890-9599. I have mentioned them previously as a recommended supplier of new tyres at reasonable prices, and I just yesterday I had occasion to patronize their services again.

Cappie, my Holden Captiva, was really due for some new tyres, so obviously I consulted them for various options and prices for the Captiva, the size being 235.60.17. They were one Company I consulted, as well as Bob Jane at Blacktown and Good Year Service Centre at Dural. Brent (Parks) had bought 225.65.17 Kumhos from Tyre Power at Dural at a cost of $185.00 each, but they are one Company I will not deal with. Okay, Good Year at Blacktown recommended Good Year Ecopias at $200.00 each on a deal of paying for three but getting four. It sounded a good deal, but they attracted somewhat unfavourable reviews on the internet. So, they were out. I also considered Toyo Proces CF1 at about $185.00 each, but Good Year at Blacktown wanted no part of them - too expensive and short life span was their verdict. Then there were Kumho, at about $133.00 each, but I was not really interested in a tyre that could conceivably last eighty thousand kilometres.Anyway, lots of toing and froing, a couple of phone calls here and there, and I became interested in the Michelin brand, the Primacy SUV version invariably priced at $245.00 each....hmmm...I had seen them on Tyre Sales.com and also Tyroola.com - both internet sites. Good Year at Dural quoted $195.00 each. Okay, back to the trusty people at Tyre Kingdom - what price for those Michies - $177.50 each. Now, that was cheap enough to grab my attention, and I told them to go ahead and get the tyres in. All good so far.

Anyway, during my travels (so to speak) I was made aware that Michelin were offering a $100.00 voucher on the purchase of four tyres - an offer exclusive to their preferred dealers, such as Bob Jane and and somebody else. The list did not include Tyre Kingdom. When I mentioned this to Geoff, the Manager, he felt that they would probably just deduct the hundred dollars from the overall price and be done with it. So yesterday, they fitted the four Michelins, fully balanced, at an overall price of $610.00 all up. Can't ask for much better than that. I highly recommend them - the place is a bit of a shambles , it's very busy, but they try and be as competitive as possible. You can even give me a call on 0428 50 1800 and I will try and do my best for you. Regards Styria

Last edited:
OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Styria - with all the Google bots and other machines combing the Internet, and this site, I suggest you remove your mobile phone number without delay.
Regards,
Brian

Styria

The Godfather
Styria - with all the Google bots and other machines combing the Internet, and this site, I suggest you remove your mobile phone number without delay.
Regards,
Brian

Benz Boy, just how does that affect me ? As you would know, I have listed my number previously without any detrimental effect - at least, not as far as I am aware. Perhaps you could elaborate a little more. Regards. Styria

Styria

The Godfather
A brief word on those Michelin Primacy SUV tyres. Incidentally, they have a speed rating of 240 km/hour. Initial impressions were not all that favourable. Cappie rode a little harsh, and the suspension did not seem all that brilliant in soaking up road irregularities - not that the system is a paragon of a soft carpet ride. Anyway, I wanted to find out what tyre pressures the car was running on. It turned out to be forty pounds all round. Taking the pressures back to 34 has made a significant improvement in ride quality and a reduction in road noise. Regard. Styria

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Benz Boy, just how does that affect me ? As you would know, I have listed my number previously without any detrimental effect - at least, not as far as I am aware. Perhaps you could elaborate a little more. Regards. Styria
Google bots and other spiders crawl the web looking for data to list so they can respond to searches. By publicly listing your phone number on TK you run the risk of it ending up on a list of marketeers who will phone from overseas trying to sell you anything ranging from life insurance to computer repairs - rather like a spam email.
Identity theft is a problem. I strongly advise you to take greater caution Styria.
Regards,
Brian

Last edited: