TK's top 10 detailing tips for Tim.

More threads by BenzBoy

260ebenz

Master
Oh dear: you need to live a little....
I bought my Spirit specifically for Miss Olga.

L1030220.png

Regards,
Brian

PS: Where are the Wallabies going to? :D

Well Brian the Wallabies are going to defeat the Welsh tonight in the Rugby Union match which takes place tonight.

Hey Simon who are you supporting the Welsh or the Wallabies in tonight's game?

E200K

Oh dear: you need to live a little....
I bought my Spirit specifically for Miss Olga.

L1030220.png

Regards,
Brian

PS: Where are the Wallabies going to? :D

I've no idea where they're going, Geoff, but they're not going there in my W126.

Tony66_au

Just a thought Tim but was it rain or salt spray on the 300SE Tim?

Because if it was salt spray.....................

BTW I lived in a lovely home years ago about 500 meters from the beach, I garaged my cars and washed them weekly and the bastards still rusted.

Salt air and spray will eat a car quicker than you can say Microfibre cloth Tim

Oversize

Grand Master
Tim if it looks like rain leave her in the garage. It'll just undo all your hard work and you'll have to start again! :eek:

My cars won't see rain unless I somehow get caught. And with radar freely available via weather sites, that's unlikely.

E200K

Tim if it looks like rain leave her in the garage. It'll just undo all your hard work and you'll have to start again! :eek:

My cars won't see rain unless I somehow get caught. And with radar freely available via weather sites, that's unlikely.

And that's the best tip so far. Take note, young Timothy.

260ebenz

Master
Just a thought Tim but was it rain or salt spray on the 300SE Tim?

Because if it was salt spray.....................

BTW I lived in a lovely home years ago about 500 meters from the beach, I garaged my cars and washed them weekly and the bastards still rusted.

Salt air and spray will eat a car quicker than you can say Microfibre cloth Tim

Hello Tony it was rain my chamois did the job drying the rainwater off the car!

Sun shining today at home a tad windy but that's okay.

I am washing two of my Friends Mercedes today a silver S350 W220 and a ML 4WD, knowing these two cars they will be in much need of a wash "Tim to the rescue"! lol.

Good win by the Wallabies last night it was a close game!

Cheers.

260ebenz

Master
I cleaned the leather seats in the 300SE yesterday Meguairs Gold Class leather conditioner did a mighty fine job!

I also polished the woodgrain trim inserts as well and the gearstick.

Going to have to make a start on the door jams and hinges any suggestions on how best to do this would be most appreciated.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
I generally use a can of spray de-greaser and a small paint brush followed by warm soapy water and another paint brush - making sure I don't get the carpets dirty in the process. Follow this up with some polish to keep it looking nice but make sure you use a poish that leaves no white residue as you will find that hard to get out from around hinges and other fittings.
It's a slow job best done with a good song on the radio and a cuppa at hand. Just don't drain the battery with the doors open!
Regards,
Brian

Tony66_au

Very important job Tim and often overlooked, Back when I had Hire cars this Tim was what separated the professionals from the weekenders Tim right down to the type, placement and amount of lubricant used on striker catches and hinges Tim.

I actually used to wash the jambs out with a car wash brush and suitable car wash detergent, use an old Chamois or Enkafil to dry then compressed air dry (With moisture line filter) and then wax and buff with a small electric shoe polisher/buffer.

As some cars have Chrome work in the Jambs and detailed footplates these would get a scrub with the brush attachment on the shoe polisher to get any grime out of the etchwork and then a quick buff with bees wax which protects but does not add a glossy finish.

On leather I used to use Leafood, an excellent quality leather lounge product recommended by Moran leather and my English skins did very well with it as well as adding a pleasant smell to the interior that many clients commented on favourably Tim.

One substance banned from all of my cars is Silicone BTW and it would behove you to check car care products for this nasty stuff Tim as it never goes away 100% and can cause allergic reactions which was an advertising point for me especially after a large limo company had an incident where a svelte young executive lass turned into the goodyear blimp on an airport transfer due to an unknown allergic reaction to silicone products used on the car.

Another girl i know bought her dream car (300C wagon) and sent it to be detailed a few months later and had a nasty reaction to whatever they cleaned the steering wheel with, once again a silicone based product.

Spraypainters hate it too lol

Hope you find this useful Tim.
Tony

Tony66_au

BTW, if you can?

remove bits instead of cleaning around them, you will need to do this only once or twice and the results speak for themselves.

260ebenz

Master
Very important job Tim and often overlooked, Back when I had Hire cars this Tim was what separated the professionals from the weekenders Tim right down to the type, placement and amount of lubricant used on striker catches and hinges Tim.

I actually used to wash the jambs out with a car wash brush and suitable car wash detergent, use an old Chamois or Enkafil to dry then compressed air dry (With moisture line filter) and then wax and buff with a small electric shoe polisher/buffer.

As some cars have Chrome work in the Jambs and detailed footplates these would get a scrub with the brush attachment on the shoe polisher to get any grime out of the etchwork and then a quick buff with bees wax which protects but does not add a glossy finish.

On leather I used to use Leafood, an excellent quality leather lounge product recommended by Moran leather and my English skins did very well with it as well as adding a pleasant smell to the interior that many clients commented on favourably Tim.

One substance banned from all of my cars is Silicone BTW and it would behove you to check car care products for this nasty stuff Tim as it never goes away 100% and can cause allergic reactions which was an advertising point for me especially after a large limo company had an incident where a svelte young executive lass turned into the goodyear blimp on an airport transfer due to an unknown allergic reaction to silicone products used on the car.

Another girl i know bought her dream car (300C wagon) and sent it to be detailed a few months later and had a nasty reaction to whatever they cleaned the steering wheel with, once again a silicone based product.

Spraypainters hate it too lol

Hope you find this useful Tim.
Tony

Very good advice Tony thank you very much.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Don't forget to treat your door seals when you do this - it makes them supple and more attractive. I use Swissvax Seal Feed but I am sure there are other products for the budget-conscious. Just don't use a silicone product.
Regards,
Brian

E200K

Try Einszett Gummi Pflege on your seals. Easy to use, great results.

Tony66_au

Ta Brian, I forgot about the rubber work!

Scotts old auto rubber had a good rubber lube I used on this and the door vent socks.

The Gummi Stick I used later on in the piece on my Cloud and it worked miracles! (Id forgotten about that stuff)