Putting the Hard Top on

More threads by Anthony 350 sl

Anthony 350 sl

I need to collect the hard top for a 350 sl I recently bought.
I am planning on just driving there in the 350, folding the soft top down and putting the hardtop straight on the car.
Is this correct? Probably a silly question but the hard top is a 5 hr drive away and I dont want to drive all that way to find that I needed to have removed the soft top (or did something else?) before you can put the hard top on.
First Merc so any advice would be appreciated.

G

GreaseMonkey

Good question to ask, I guess it just fits on and locks down, but the weight means you may need two people to get it there.
Yes, check first, before a five hour drive though.
Chris M.

HansKruger

yes the fabric top folds away into a compartment

You really need two people to fit the hard top

They damage easily you are best to get the mini crane fir your garage if younare going to be using it frequently

Regards
Hans

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
I need to collect the hard top for a 350 sl I recently bought.
I am planning on just driving there in the 350, folding the soft top down and putting the hardtop straight on the car.
Is this correct? Probably a silly question but the hard top is a 5 hr drive away and I dont want to drive all that way to find that I needed to have removed the soft top (or did something else?) before you can put the hard top on.
First Merc so any advice would be appreciated.

All you need is a (reasonnably fit) person where you are collecting the hardtop from to give you a hand positionning it on your car.

Otherwise, it is a straight forward operation.

DELILAH

Make sure you use the correct locking tool to lock the hard top down, on a very recent trip to Canberra, the 2 front locking bolts flipped into the unlock position!

With the sudden rush of air through the gap (accompanied with a similar rush of adrenalin through my system) i had to scrabble in the glove box whist trying to locate said tool and re-lock them both, all whilst doing 110 on the Federal Highway, whilst in convoy with several other Merc's!

Make sure your soft top is folded properly, so that the cover locks down with a click on each side. This way, the hard top will sit snugly on that cover.

Try locking the front down first, then press the rear hook into its locking position, you will hear it click.

Then, be sure to remember to lock each side, just behind each front seat, with the same tool.

Good luck.

Regards

G

GreaseMonkey

Or trade in for an SLC and avoid all this trouble!
Chris M.

OP
A

Anthony 350 sl

Thanks all for the advice.
Drove to lovely Tamworth over the weekend (boring old town if ever there was one!) to collect the hardtop. Not having seen the hardtop iIwas reasonably happy with its condition. All glass intact however is missing the bottom rubber and side locking clips. All other rubbers are due for replacement....definately original. Made for a noisy drive back to Sydney. Felt like I had the wing seats on a 747. Pass me the Panadol.

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Anthony, any of the fairer sex look at you during your trip ? :D Regards Styria

OP
A

Anthony 350 sl

Few things going against me in the looks/km department
1. Weather wasnt great on Saturday so had the soft top up all day.
2. Had my wife with me
3. Alot of farmland and not many people. Had heaps of cows and horses glancing at the car however i had got the impression that they had seen it all before, but not much in the way of young women.
Primo city driving conditions and I am getting 40-50 looks/km

Styria

The Godfather
Hi Anthony, you shouldn't be so ####y - there may be a few guys not looking at you, but your dearest wife - ever thought about that ?

Anyway, I hope you can make it to our track day at Oran Park - it's shaping up like a great day, and Billy Wiley, Topklasse's long range weather foreshadower, predicts a brilliant day. :D Plus, we may need some spammer swingers to assist Ossie and SELfor50. Regards Styria

Don't mind me - strange sense of humour.

G

GreaseMonkey

First I thought it was Styria's typo, then again, maybe he did mean it.......?
Chris M.

OP
A

Anthony 350 sl

Plus, we may need some spammer swingers to assist Ossie and SELfor50

Is this some sort of initiation to become a member of topklasse because I dont recall reading anything about it under terms and conditions when I joined.
Happy to do whatever it takes to beme a fully fledged member of topklasse however I will need a bit more information before I commit to being Ossies ands SELs "spammer swinger" for the day.

Michel

The Prince of Arabia
Is this some sort of initiation to become a member of topklasse because I dont recall reading anything about it under terms and conditions when I joined.
Happy to do whatever it takes to beme a fully fledged member of topklasse however I will need a bit more information before I commit to being Ossies ands SELs "spammer swinger" for the day.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Don't mind Styria's weird sense of humour...
Just come to the Track Day....
You'll have a great time

:p

abl567

Super Moderator

Isn't swinging tinned processed meat a little off topic, and possibly illegal in some parts:confused:

Styria

The Godfather
Sorry guys, it was a typo error ! :D :D :DAnyway, Anthony, you will have to come to our track day - I promise you good company.

You don't have to participate nor pay the 200 smackeroos - you'll only be invited to cook the snags ! ...and swing the spammers because, because, because, that's what we do with them these days. Regards Styria