TK's top 10 detailing tips for Tim.

More threads by BenzBoy

260ebenz

Master
Pressure cleaned the alloys yesterday.

Pressure cleaner removed quite alot of the brake dust which was good.

Bought a bottle of AG SRP and AG carwash.

I now have the polish time to get busy with the door jambs!

Cheers.

Last edited:

260ebenz

Master
You also need to remove the wheels and do the back of them. remember to polish the wheels after you have cleaned them.
Regards,
Brian

Okay thank you Brian.

Fitting two new back tyres Thursday week so a good chance to remove all four wheels and clean the back of the wheels.

Once cleaned the back of the wheels I will polish them.

Get my hands dirty Tony will be proud of me!

Cheers.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
It's a nice sunny day Tim - have you finished your door jambs yet?
Time to start on the sub-frame you know. If you want to be a winner you have to do the hard work.
There's a lot more to winning than just shiny paintwork.
I assume you have cleaned the inside of the wheels and waxed them?
Photos Tim - where are the photos?
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master
Good afternoon,

Weather is superb here at home so a a good chance to make a start on the door jambs.

Cleaned the jambs first with warm soapy water which removed alot of the grease and dirt.

Made sure the door jambs were dry then polished the jambs with AG SRP then buffed off the polish.

Certainly an improvement that is for sure.

Would be a good idea to do the door jambs again before the Concours.

Like I said pressured cleaned the four alloy wheels on Thursday.

I have polished the four alloy wheels using alloy wheel polish.

Alloy wheels are very shiny and the surface of the alloy wheels feels alot smoother.

L/H tail light lense which is an original lense but the reverse light is faded unfornately.

Located a new lense quite expensive and the lense is an original lense will fit the new lense to the car.

More pre-Concours prep to do!

Cheers guys.

Attachments

• Melvin Mercedes 300SE (10).jpg
    Melvin Mercedes 300SE (10).jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 5
  • W126 tail light lense.jpg
    W126 tail light lense.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 4
OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Did you take each wheel off and clean the back Tim? You have to do that too you know. You can do it one at a time.
Otherwise, yes you're going OK.
Did you feed the rubber seals when you cleaned the door jambs?
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master
Did you take each wheel off and clean the back Tim? You have to do that too you know. You can do it one at a time.
Otherwise, yes you're going OK.
Did you feed the rubber seals when you cleaned the door jambs?
Regards,
Brian

Hello Brian,

No I did not take each wheel off and clean the back not yet but Brian I am going to.

Now when you say 'feed' the rubber seals what do you mean by that grease the door jambs is that what you are saying?

Cheers.

260ebenz

Master
Time for lunch a late lunch I will check back in later.

Slim hungry lunch time!

Speak soon.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Hello Brian,

No I did not take each wheel off and clean the back not yet but Brian I am going to.

Now when you say 'feed' the rubber seals what do you mean by that grease the door jambs is that what you are saying?

Cheers.

We have already discussed this and products have been recommended - go back through the old posts and check.
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master
Found the info about how to feed the rubber seals:

16th June 2012, 02:50 PM
BenzBoy
Aristocrat Join Date: Feb 2008

Re: TK's top 10 detailing tips for Tim.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might need to use an engine de-greaser to start with followed up by carwash and a micro fibre cloth. Then you can do the rubber seals with Protectant 303. Polish all accessible paintwork with a polish that does not leave white residue as you will probably get some on the rubber seals. It wil lclean off but it requires rubbing.
If you don't already have any, go and buy some microfibre cloths. You don't need to buy epensive ones and when used they will wash clean again. They are brilliant for removing dirt and polish.
Door jambs, hinges and rubber seals may been to be done a few times before they really sparkle - it's good that you have started now.
Regards,
Brian

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master
Excellent Tim. I washed the Spirit today for tomorrow's Long Run and all I had to do to the door jambs was to spray a little detailer onto a cloth and wipe them dry. Five years ago I did the hard work to get them clean and since I polish them once a year it is very easy to clean them up.
You do the hard work once - and so long as it's done properly, maintenance is easy for years to come.
Regards,
Brian

260ebenz

Master
Excellent Tim. I washed the Spirit today for tomorrow's Long Run and all I had to do to the door jambs was to spray a little detailer onto a cloth and wipe them dry. Five years ago I did the hard work to get them clean and since I polish them once a year it is very easy to clean them up.
You do the hard work once - and so long as it's done properly, maintenance is easy for years to come.
Regards,
Brian

Hello Brian I bet the Spirit is looking immaculate after a wash today?

Enjoy the Long Run tomorrow.

Again Brian thanks for your advice with how to clean the door jambs.

Ordered a new genuine MB Hood Star for the 300SE which arrived in the post today.

Thanks goes out to MB Spares for the Hood Star.

Cheers.

260ebenz

Master
Regards,
Brian

Hello Brian I bet the Spirit is looking immaculate after a wash today?

Enjoy the Long Run tomorrow.

Again Brian thanks for your advice with how to clean the door jambs.

Ordered a new genuine MB Hood Star for the 300SE which arrived in the post today.

Thanks goes out to MB Spares for the Hood Star.

MB Spares sticker will be displayed in the back window thanks for stickers John.

Cheers.

Attachments

• W126 MB Star.jpg
    W126 MB Star.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 7

Tony66_au

Okay thank you Brian.

Fitting two new back tyres Thursday week so a good chance to remove all four wheels and clean the back of the wheels.

Once cleaned the back of the wheels I will polish them.

Get my hands dirty Tony will be proud of me!

Cheers.

I wouldn't hold my breath Tim, Praise from me is a hard earned thing and doesn't get handed out like lollies.

However if you do get an "Atta boy" from me Tim it will be far more valuable for the work you did to EARN it Tim and you will value it more than some platitude or pat on the head.

These cars are part love affair and part marriage, you will love and hate them in equal parts and you will forever be working on them to keep them sweet and reliable as well as easy on the eye.

And like any good relationship the things you do yourself hold the greatest value and getting others to do work always seems to cheapen the experience a bit.

I still see no pictorial evidence Tim and the saying is "No piccies? DIDN'T happen" which although a bit harsh has a lovely ring to it don't you think Tim?

260ebenz

Master
I wouldn't hold my breath Tim, Praise from me is a hard earned thing and doesn't get handed out like lollies.

However if you do get an "Atta boy" from me Tim it will be far more valuable for the work you did to EARN it Tim and you will value it more than some platitude or pat on the head.

These cars are part love affair and part marriage, you will love and hate them in equal parts and you will forever be working on them to keep them sweet and reliable as well as easy on the eye.

And like any good relationship the things you do yourself hold the greatest value and getting others to do work always seems to cheapen the experience a bit.

I still see no pictorial evidence Tim and the saying is "No piccies? DIDN'T happen" which although a bit harsh has a lovely ring to it don't you think Tim?

It happened Tony be sure of that.

OP
BenzBoy

BenzBoy

Grand Master

Well I suppose that is one point of view. It's not one I share.
Does this mean that if I repair a flat tyre and fail to take a photo, the tyre will go flat again as soon as I drive off? :confused:
Regards,
Brian